GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: LongBlade on September 14, 2012, 07:06:54 PM

Title: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 14, 2012, 07:06:54 PM
Dog treats this time.

QuoteAt least 360 dogs and one cat reportedly have died in the U.S. after eating chicken jerky pet treats made in China, even as claims of illnesses tied to the products have topped 2,200, federal veterinary health officials said.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/14/13865945-pet-jerky-treat-death-toll-360-dogs-1-cat-fda-says
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: steve58 on September 14, 2012, 08:19:35 PM
Damn them, just damn!  >:(

Getting to the point where I need to make sure I just buy pet products made in the U.S.A.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: junk2drive on September 14, 2012, 09:07:58 PM
I avoid China products as much as I can but I wonder what gets put into stuff made elsewhere that might come from these kind of suppliers.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Keunert on September 15, 2012, 09:29:09 AM
chinese manufacturers are in capitalist heaven. exploiting the workforce, intellectual property and they do not have to bother with any standarts at all. Action Jack would feel at home there.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 15, 2012, 12:17:20 PM
Quote from: Keunert on September 15, 2012, 09:29:09 AM
chinese manufacturers are in capitalist heaven. exploiting the workforce, intellectual property and they do not have to bother with any standarts at all. Action Jack would feel at home there.

Meh. It's not capitalist heaven. It's anarchy. Remember, they don't have a guaranteed free press to spread info about this. That's the first order of business around these parts.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Staggerwing on September 15, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
Our news media isn't so 'wholsome' anymore either now that news is bought and sold like a certain processed meat product, complete with fillers, artificial preservatives, unacknowledged toxic byproducts, and a slick package that's designed to make it all but impossible to read the list of ingredients or determine their provenance.


But I do agree with your point when one compares the two countries' 'fifth estates'.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 15, 2012, 12:29:08 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 15, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
Our news media isn't so 'wholsome' anymore either now that news is bought and sold like a certain processed meat product, complete with fillers, artificial preservatives, unacknowledged toxic byproducts, and a slick package that's designed to make it all but impossible to read the list of ingredients or determine their provenance.


But I do agree with your point when one compares the two countries' 'fifth estates'.

The good news is that, as the network news agencies and traditional print media have abdicated their integrity we have cable and internet news sites picking up the slack. The system still works. But it takes a bit of effort to break old habits.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: DennisS on September 18, 2012, 09:30:34 PM
My cat died of kidney failure two months after all this came out. I researched, and yes, the Iams cat food I purchased and fed her, for YEARS, was on the list.

I would have, at that moment, cheerfully taken a baseball bat to the head of the Chinese company that added melamine to that food, to artificially boost the protein count. I would have seriously f*cked that guy up. I am STILL angry over this.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 18, 2012, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: DennisS on September 18, 2012, 09:30:34 PM
My cat died of kidney failure two months after all this came out. I researched, and yes, the Iams cat food I purchased and fed her, for YEARS, was on the list.

+1

My cat died a couple of months after the news of this first broke a few years ago. Of kidney failure. He was 14. Not young, but probably could have lived longer.

The Chinese have screwed us on so many levels that it's difficult to keep track. We have a long list of grievances with them, of which this is just one of the more personal ones.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Arctic Blast on September 19, 2012, 12:11:01 AM
But we LET them keep doing this. And I'm not even talking about government getting tough and blah blah blah...I mean that we are so desperately gleeful to get everything we can for insanely cheap prices that we don't think about WHY this stuff tends to be so cheap. Until it turns out to be crap.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Windigo on September 19, 2012, 12:15:43 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.jokes-db.com%2Fimg%2Ffunnypictures%2Fsigns%2Fchinese_restaurant.jpg&hash=e5bc79ee4fab9791e85ce9f67822e2925e65ff81)
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: W8taminute on September 19, 2012, 12:31:13 PM
Quote from: steve58 on September 14, 2012, 08:19:35 PM
Damn them, just damn!  >:(

Getting to the point where I need to make sure I just buy pet products made in the U.S.A.

I always check the labels when buying pet food.  That goes with anything else made in China as well.  What is really disturbing is that they are catching on and therefore a lot of products don't even list where they were made.  You then have to check who is the distributor. 
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: steve58 on September 19, 2012, 01:58:37 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on September 19, 2012, 12:31:13 PM
Quote from: steve58 on September 14, 2012, 08:19:35 PM
Damn them, just damn!  >:(

Getting to the point where I need to make sure I just buy pet products made in the U.S.A.

I always check the labels when buying pet food.  That goes with anything else made in China as well.  What is really disturbing is that they are catching on and therefore a lot of products don't even list where they were made.  You then have to check who is the distributor.

Yup, we try to buy stuff made in the USA as much as possible.  We feed our cats Blue Buffalo brand food.  Expensive, but its made in the US and its good quality.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 19, 2012, 05:57:57 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 15, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
Our news media isn't so 'wholsome' anymore either now that news is bought and sold like a certain processed meat product, complete with fillers, artificial preservatives, unacknowledged toxic byproducts, and a slick package that's designed to make it all but impossible to read the list of ingredients or determine their provenance.


But I do agree with your point when one compares the two countries' 'fifth estates'.


lol
Its true!
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 19, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
You think any value priced human food is better?
Stick to all natural food, no processed packaged stuff.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Arctic Blast on September 19, 2012, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 19, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
You think any value priced human food is better?
Stick to all natural food, no processed packaged stuff.

Pretty much. Billions get spent subsidizing massive food corporations so they can undercut healthy options and shovel out crap. Meanwhile, an entire generation has apparently been convinced by advertising that cooking is really hard. Oh, and pizza is a vegetable.

Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 20, 2012, 02:33:04 PM
Except that the food corps are pushing hard to ensure that you can't buy from farmer's markets.  Nor can you find out where the ingredients in packaged foods actually come from, just where they were packaged.  Nor can you find out if the food you're eating is GMO or not.  The US has also gone and re-categorized toxic sewage waste as a "natural" fertilizer and, in some states, mandated its use.  If biosolids from wastewater plants were limited to straight sewage, it might not be so bad (if you could get the asshats to stop dumping paints, oils, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and cleaning products down the drain), but most sewage systems also include stormwater runoff, so you're getting whatever happens to have been lying in the streets and gutters as well as the byproducts of car exhausts, tire wear, etc all concentrated into a nice, toxic sludge which is baked, mixed with wood chips (or construction waste in some states), then sprayed on farm fields or sold to gardeners as organic fertilizer.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 20, 2012, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 19, 2012, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 19, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
You think any value priced human food is better?
Stick to all natural food, no processed packaged stuff.

Pretty much. Billions get spent subsidizing massive food corporations so they can undercut healthy options and shovel out crap. Meanwhile, an entire generation has apparently been convinced by advertising that cooking is really hard. Oh, and pizza is a vegetable.


Don't stop there.... People everywhere get cancer at younger and younger ages. Same for diabetes, etc.
If a food scientist has screwed with it, you don't want to eat it.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Windigo on September 20, 2012, 03:57:42 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 20, 2012, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 19, 2012, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 19, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
You think any value priced human food is better?
Stick to all natural food, no processed packaged stuff.

Pretty much. Billions get spent subsidizing massive food corporations so they can undercut healthy options and shovel out crap. Meanwhile, an entire generation has apparently been convinced by advertising that cooking is really hard. Oh, and pizza is a vegetable.


Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease - typically you are fat and inactive and your poor pancrease cannot keep up to the shit you eat - lose the weight, eat more fruit and veggies, and increase your activity and violets... its better!

Don't stop there.... People everywhere get cancer at younger and younger ages. Same for diabetes, etc.
If a food scientist has screwed with it, you don't want to eat it.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 20, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
Lots of disease comes from lifestyle. You could call Lyme Disease a lifestyle disease of hikers.  :P

Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 20, 2012, 05:37:34 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 20, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
Lots of disease comes from lifestyle. You could call Lyme Disease a lifestyle disease of hikers.  :P

Or dog walkers.

I picked it up this summer thanks to talking one of my beasts for a walk. Good times.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Arctic Blast on September 20, 2012, 07:41:31 PM
I'm often surprised that you never heard people calling for reductions in government subsidization of food corps. Do people just not realize that billions of dollars are going there?
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Windigo on September 20, 2012, 11:03:47 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 20, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
Lots of disease comes from lifestyle. You could call Lyme Disease a lifestyle disease of hikers.  :P

lyme disease has an external vector - ticks

Type 2 diabetes is fat inactive people livin' the dream of doughnuts, bigmacs and watching reality TV
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 21, 2012, 04:44:00 PM
So type 2 diabetes also has an external vector of donuts and bigmacs. Maybe home electronics as well!
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Windigo on September 21, 2012, 04:59:35 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 21, 2012, 04:44:00 PM
So type 2 diabetes also has an external vector of donuts and bigmacs. Maybe home electronics as well!

its not you're choice to get bit by a tick, but it is entirely your choice how you eat and be active .... lifestyle
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 21, 2012, 05:06:47 PM
it may seem so. Do you really think the world would pour so much into advertising if it did not return behavioral changes in customers?
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 21, 2012, 07:27:21 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 21, 2012, 05:06:47 PM
it may seem so. Do you really think the world would pour so much into advertising if it did not return behavioral changes in customers?

Point of information: advertising is about awareness. It can't make you do anything. It can, however, introduce you to temptation ;)
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: bob48 on September 22, 2012, 06:33:10 AM
^Ha! You got that right - I've just done the rounds of my fav wargames publishers sites; LnL, GMT, MMP, Academy...Twitch, twitch.....
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 22, 2012, 12:21:55 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 21, 2012, 07:27:21 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 21, 2012, 05:06:47 PM
it may seem so. Do you really think the world would pour so much into advertising if it did not return behavioral changes in customers?

Point of information: advertising is about awareness. It can't make you do anything. It can, however, introduce you to temptation ;)


Wrong.
I wrote a long reply which this local portal decided to vaporise to nag with an acceptance of terms of use. WTF cant they do that when you first log on?


Anyway, read Influence
http://www.amazon.com/Influence-ebook/dp/B002BD2UUC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348334478&sr=8-3&keywords=influence (http://www.amazon.com/Influence-ebook/dp/B002BD2UUC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348334478&sr=8-3&keywords=influence)
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 22, 2012, 01:19:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 22, 2012, 12:21:55 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 21, 2012, 07:27:21 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 21, 2012, 05:06:47 PM
it may seem so. Do you really think the world would pour so much into advertising if it did not return behavioral changes in customers?

Point of information: advertising is about awareness. It can't make you do anything. It can, however, introduce you to temptation ;)


Wrong.
I wrote a long reply which this local portal decided to vaporise to nag with an acceptance of terms of use. WTF cant they do that when you first log on?


Anyway, read Influence
http://www.amazon.com/Influence-ebook/dp/B002BD2UUC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348334478&sr=8-3&keywords=influence (http://www.amazon.com/Influence-ebook/dp/B002BD2UUC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348334478&sr=8-3&keywords=influence)

Not sure what's in his book.

I will say this: online advertising has proven that people don't buy things due to advertising. At least not directly. I've had over a decade of dealing with online advertising, and if I only made money based on someone clicking on an ad and then buying something, every site I worked for would have gone out of business.

I can provide a host of real-world examples that I have personally seen if you'd like.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 22, 2012, 01:32:09 PM
Clicking on an online ad is hardly cutting edge marketing. Most people have online ads filtered. I have to click on a flash window to run it. That blocks almost all ads. 8)


An example from the book (from memory) is ads for kids toys that are not available for christmas. Kids nag the parents for the hot item. The parent buys a consolation expensive gift when they cant get it. The kids nag more when it is available early next year. "You promised!" etc. The guilty feeling parent buys it. The company has sold 2 expensive gifts instead of one.


You have no idea how advertising modifies your perception of the importance of things.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 22, 2012, 01:49:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 22, 2012, 01:32:09 PM
You have no idea how advertising modifies your perception of the importance of things.

I have sold advertising for various websites for a decade and studied marketing in both college and grad school. Yes, techniques have improved, but the truth remains the same: advertising is about awareness.

The example with the kids is precisely that: creating awareness in children that toys are available. Why? not *every* child will want that toy. It isn't like brainwashing. An ad for My Little Pony won't attract most boys, no matter how well constructed. It's about creating awareness within a target market. Becoming aware of a product that actually meets a demand you have (toys for Christmas) may lead to a sale, but the ad only creates the awareness.

Purchases are far more complex than just advertising -> sale.

Another example: I saw a BMW commercial last week. I already know BMWs are cool, but there's a new one that I'm sure will lead to more sex if I had it. Problem is, I can't afford it. Ergo, advertising awoke awareness (I'll be sexier) and created demand (I want one) but did not create a sale. The process isn't brainwashing - I'm not going to buy one at the expense of groceries for the family.

Marketing is a complex mix of art and science. I'm afraid that book, no matter how well written, has mislead you if your conclusion is that advertising = sales. Think of advertising as part of a complex algebra formula that eventually *can* lead to a sale and you'll have the right idea.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 23, 2012, 02:58:31 PM
So you would also claim the military's psych ops cant get anyone to do anything either. Do you think anyone will buy that?
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 23, 2012, 08:06:11 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 23, 2012, 02:58:31 PM
So you would also claim the military's psych ops cant get anyone to do anything either. Do you think anyone will buy that?

I have zero experience with psy ops.

I'm not saying people can't be manipulated.

I am saying that running a bunch of ads for Sims 3 Generations here won't sell a single copy. You guys are gamers, but you're the wrong audience, and no amount of advertising will affect that.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: airboy on September 30, 2012, 03:59:29 PM
One of my hunting buddies died from tainted Heprin from China.  Human buddy, not a hunting dog.
Title: Re: More Chinese Pet Poison
Post by: LongBlade on September 30, 2012, 06:21:19 PM
Quote from: airboy on September 30, 2012, 03:59:29 PM
One of my hunting buddies died from tainted Heprin from China.  Human buddy, not a hunting dog.

OMG that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear it.