GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Yskonyn on August 02, 2013, 09:42:14 AM

Title: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Yskonyn on August 02, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
I have a free copy of CK 2 (base game) to give away.
A trade is appreciated, but not neccessary. First come first serve. :)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 02, 2013, 10:34:49 AM
caveat:  if you take it from Yskonyn, you owe us a Tuesday screenshot from your first game with it!  ;)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Staggerwing on August 02, 2013, 06:10:47 PM
FWIW, the game is OSX compatible. I just found that out.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 02, 2013, 06:39:08 PM
I already have CK 2 so don't need it but this is very cool of you Yskonyn.  If anyone has been on the fence about this game I highly recommend you take him up on his offer and grab the game!
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: vyshka on August 03, 2013, 01:04:52 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 02, 2013, 06:10:47 PM
FWIW, the game is OSX compatible. I just found that out.

Linux as well
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 03, 2013, 03:31:19 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 02, 2013, 06:39:08 PM
I already have CK 2 so don't need it but this is very cool of you Yskonyn.  If anyone has been on the fence about this game I highly recommend you take him up on his offer and grab the game!

Agreed.  CK2 is a very high quality game.  Unusually for a PDX game, the DLCs are not essential and it's a highly polished and playable experience right out of the box.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Darkspire on August 03, 2013, 03:38:59 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 02, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
I have a free copy of CK 2 (base game) to give away.
A trade is appreciated, but not neccessary. First come first serve. :)

Yes please Yskonyn, if it is still going I would be very grateful,  always wanted to plat CK but never got around to it. The only thing is that if it is on Steam I will decline the offer.

Thanks

Darkspire
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Yskonyn on August 03, 2013, 06:00:40 AM
I am happy to offer it to you Darkspire, but it is indeed on Steam... No likey in that case??
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Darkspire on August 03, 2013, 06:13:07 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 03, 2013, 06:00:40 AM
I am happy to offer it to you Darkspire, but it is indeed on Steam... No likey in that case??

Thanks but no thanks then. I have an intense dislike for Steam and its background workings, DRM, updates etc, it also causes way to many imbalances in my system with program incompatibility, things working against each other.  Its not the first game from them for me, I had the X series Albion Prelude allotted as I had bought the X-Superbox from the local games store but never bothered to collect, never have played Albion but would love to, I have been with X since Beyond The Frontier was released and avidly played and enjoyed every game,  after reading about all the problems folks were having with saves for Terran Conflict and the other games in the series (that were years old and had a great deal of time invested) I believe I made the right choice. Matrix are the only Digital Distributor that I really trust, there methods are much more open and friendly.

Thanks again.

Darkspire
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Yskonyn on August 03, 2013, 09:18:55 AM
Sure, no problem.

The game is still up for grabs everyone! Honk the horn and it will be yours. :)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Yskonyn on August 04, 2013, 02:15:30 AM
Bump
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Nefaro on August 04, 2013, 04:48:02 AM
Nice offer Ysk.

I wonder if everyone who hasn't completely sworn off Pdox games already has it?  ???
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Yskonyn on August 30, 2013, 04:20:40 AM
This is still available for any grog who wants it!
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Deadskin on August 30, 2013, 05:13:49 AM
I would be interested if it is still up for grabs.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Yskonyn on August 30, 2013, 05:24:50 AM
Sure it is! Give me your Steam account name and its yours. :)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Deadskin on August 30, 2013, 05:32:01 AM
Same as here I'm in the Grogs steam group also, and thanks.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 05:34:13 AM
ah well - too many games on my plate anyway. last thing I need is a time sucker!

Nice offer though
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2013, 06:34:16 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 05:34:13 AM
ah well - too many games on my plate anyway. last thing I need is a time sucker!

Nice offer though

JD, if your still interested, I have an extra key that I just received and would be more than willing to give you....in the past you gave me Panzer Corp so would love to return the favor.  I know your plate is full, but can't be full for something free:)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Tuna on August 30, 2013, 06:38:34 AM
Quote from: Darkspire on August 03, 2013, 06:13:07 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 03, 2013, 06:00:40 AM
I am happy to offer it to you Darkspire, but it is indeed on Steam... No likey in that case??

Thanks but no thanks then. I have an intense dislike for Steam and its background workings, DRM, updates etc, it also causes way to many imbalances in my system with program incompatibility, things working against each other.  Its not the first game from them for me, I had the X series Albion Prelude allotted as I had bought the X-Superbox from the local games store but never bothered to collect, never have played Albion but would love to, I have been with X since Beyond The Frontier was released and avidly played and enjoyed every game,  after reading about all the problems folks were having with saves for Terran Conflict and the other games in the series (that were years old and had a great deal of time invested) I believe I made the right choice. Matrix are the only Digital Distributor that I really trust, there methods are much more open and friendly.

Thanks again.

Darkspire

CK2, Vicky 2, EU III and EU IV.. you just need to use Steam to install it... After that you never have to use Steam again... just make a shortcut on your desktop with the game exe and you are good to go!.

Not sure if HOI III also works this way as well.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 06:41:56 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2013, 06:34:16 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 05:34:13 AM
ah well - too many games on my plate anyway. last thing I need is a time sucker!

Nice offer though

JD, if your still interested, I have an extra key that I just received and would be more than willing to give you....in the past you gave me Panzer Corp so would love to return the favor.  I know your plate is full, but can't be full for something free:)
Oh - that would be very welcome. I've been eyeing it for a couple of weeks now - I would appreciate that greatly - save me £35. Thank you
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2013, 06:44:42 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 06:41:56 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2013, 06:34:16 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 05:34:13 AM
ah well - too many games on my plate anyway. last thing I need is a time sucker!

Nice offer though

JD, if your still interested, I have an extra key that I just received and would be more than willing to give you....in the past you gave me Panzer Corp so would love to return the favor.  I know your plate is full, but can't be full for something free:)
Oh - that would be very welcome. I've been eyeing it for a couple of weeks now - I would appreciate that greatly - save me £35. Thank you

No problem....PM sent with the key....enjoy.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 06:47:13 AM
Thank you very much GR - I will give it a go over the weekend.

I was a fan of EU III for a while and I've heard good things about EU IV.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: steve58 on August 30, 2013, 07:49:32 AM
If there are any Grogs left that somehow still don't have CK2 (and want it), I have a extra Steam key as well...
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 12:41:08 PM
NM - done it
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: W8taminute on August 30, 2013, 12:51:15 PM
Too bad we can't give away or trade away games on STEAM that were purchased for yourself.  How does one end up with an extra STEAM key to any given game anyway?  Multiple purchases?
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 12:53:05 PM
lol - for some bloody stupid reason I thought this thread (and my free gift) was EUIV!

Imagine my surprise then when I saw a Crusader Kings II icon on the desktop.

No matter - I just can't believe how incredibly dumb I was being!

CK2 it is!  :)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2013, 12:56:31 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on August 30, 2013, 12:51:15 PM
Too bad we can't give away or trade away games on STEAM that were purchased for yourself.  How does one end up with an extra STEAM key to any given game anyway?  Multiple purchases?

They sometimes come with pre-order specials...in this case, when I bought EU4, it came free but I had already owned it.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2013, 12:57:02 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 12:53:05 PM
lol - for some bloody stupid reason I thought this thread (and my free gift) was EUIV!

Imagine my surprise then when I saw a Crusader Kings II icon on the desktop.

No matter - I just can't believe how incredibly dumb I was being!

CK2 it is!  :)

Sorry for the confusion JD, hope you still enjoy CK2.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 12:59:17 PM
lol - this is in no way your fault GR. I totally read the thread wrong!

I had looked at CK2 when it first came out and my finger was on the buy often enough...but I never pressed it and the "want" waned. But I'll certainly give it a good look over - lots of people like it enough.

Thanks again.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 30, 2013, 01:16:00 PM
You should enjoy it anyway JD, it's a bloody fantastic game.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 30, 2013, 01:20:36 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2013, 12:59:17 PM
lol - this is in no way your fault GR. I totally read the thread wrong!

I had looked at CK2 when it first came out and my finger was on the buy often enough...but I never pressed it and the "want" waned. But I'll certainly give it a good look over - lots of people like it enough.

Thanks again.

Ok, sounds good...it is a decent game so hopefully you still get some enjoyment out of it...you can use it to see if you like the system and then it will prepare you for EU4:)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
Hi Grim Reaper

I feel really, really bad - because I tried CKII today and I simply do not have the knowledge on what's going on. I have absolutely zero understanding of families, succession, royalty, medieval life or what I'm meant to be doing in order to go on.

In truth, I didn't give it much of a go - because it simply just doesn't grab me...the subject matter is nothing I'm even remotely interested in. I thought there would be more in the way of conquering, trade etc (more like EU). It's just about - well - I'm not sure...family lines and keeping them alive? I had a message about a subject of a region which I was in danger of "losing" (can't remember the term). So I clicked on it and indeed there was a guy married but with no kids - and the heir was from Northumberland (England - I was playing Scotland). So I guess the game was telling me if the subject in that province died, the heir (being from Northumberland) would inherit it and it would be lost to the subject in charge of Northumberland.

I just did not get it. I was like "Well? What?" no idea what-so-ever.

Sorry - I've wasted that key from you. I do really apologise.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Kushan on August 31, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
Don't give up so easily Judge. CK2 (well almost all of the Paradox games) is one of the most rewarding experiences once you get to know the systems. It may take a game or two to get to know the systems.

Try starting out as a King (or even as the Byzantine emperor) The higher you go, the less you have to worry about things like succession. My personal favorite for an easy start is one of the Spanish kingdoms. You have the real possibility to get over whelmed by the Muslim factions if your not careful but it offers a mix of everything. Another good starting option that most people prefer (although I never did it) is to start out on Ireland.

Watching youtube tutorials can be really helpful as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhoyHE26lg&list=PLDF61F4A4275A64D4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhoyHE26lg&list=PLDF61F4A4275A64D4)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3DFUHv8cWWoL5KIRe_COOMX_DrgHjlss (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3DFUHv8cWWoL5KIRe_COOMX_DrgHjlss)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: undercovergeek on August 31, 2013, 02:26:15 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
Hi Grim Reaper

I feel really, really bad - because I tried CKII today and I simply do not have the knowledge on what's going on. I have absolutely zero understanding of families, succession, royalty, medieval life or what I'm meant to be doing in order to go on.

In truth, I didn't give it much of a go - because it simply just doesn't grab me...the subject matter is nothing I'm even remotely interested in. I thought there would be more in the way of conquering, trade etc (more like EU). It's just about - well - I'm not sure...family lines and keeping them alive? I had a message about a subject of a region which I was in danger of "losing" (can't remember the term). So I clicked on it and indeed there was a guy married but with no kids - and the heir was from Northumberland (England - I was playing Scotland). So I guess the game was telling me if the subject in that province died, the heir (being from Northumberland) would inherit it and it would be lost to the subject in charge of Northumberland.

I just did not get it. I was like "Well? What?" no idea what-so-ever.

Sorry - I've wasted that key from you. I do really apologise.

stick with it - youre at the bottom of a massive hill and its worth the climb
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 02:43:14 PM
ok.

My giving up wasn't necessarily down to not knowing what was going on - but just the gameplay itself...I really have no clue about vassals, families, inheritance etc...really no idea.

But I'll watch a couple of vids and see what the score is.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: undercovergeek on August 31, 2013, 02:48:49 PM
as with all EU/CK games - set your goals and go for them - being a king will make you busy with vassals and dukes but not so busy on what to do militarily because the whole country goes with your flow, being lowly makes you busy on who to take and where to expand but your court is small so not so bad

its all entirely upto you re vassals and dukes and counts - go to war and be impressed by the duke of XXXX then promote him with more lands as in history, a guy does poorly, wont raise an army, shun him, banish him from court - but youve got to want to be immerssed in a medieval adventure
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 02:54:07 PM
But I don't even know about dukes, vassals, counts and lords and any other terms that happen in game - so no idea at all what to do with them.

The game looks great and very polished. It's refreshing to see so many different avatars.

But I'm just not getting it. I'll watch the vids and see.

Ta
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Nefaro on August 31, 2013, 04:34:40 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 02:54:07 PM
But I don't even know about dukes, vassals, counts and lords and any other terms that happen in game - so no idea at all what to do with them.

You gotta know how the system works before you can try manipulating it to most effect.  :)  It's basically just the lower-ranked lords swearing fealty to someone above them.  They're obligated to send the higher ranked noble some troops in time of war, or they send tax money to you regularly if they're mayors or bishops.  The lower ranked ones are called Vassals (which means they hold lands in your name, unlike courtiers who are your unlanded underlings).  The biggest issue with Vassals is that if you don't keep them happy, they will send less troops/money and possibly even try to become independent and/or kill you.  The numerous ways of steering such relationships to your advantage, both with vassals and every other character of interest, is a large part of the game. 
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: undercovergeek on August 31, 2013, 04:36:55 PM
getting this wrong can lead to your son and heir been thrown out of a tower window - believe me i know
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 04:44:09 PM
Well - thanks to all for trying to help.

I'll certainly look at the videos to at least try and grasp the concepts.

The gameplay isn't in my "knowledge" and not in my normal arena of play...this is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.

I do want to give it a fair bash though as I was gifted the game by Grim Reaper.

The videos will hopefully go a long way to helping that...because I really know nothing about the subject matter.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 31, 2013, 04:47:12 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 04:44:09 PM
Well - thanks to all for trying to help.

I'll certainly look at the videos to at least try and grasp the concepts.

The gameplay isn't in my "knowledge" and not in my normal arena of play...this is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.

I do want to give it a fair bash though as I was gifted the game by Grim Reaper.

The videos will hopefully go a long way to helping that...because I really know nothing about the subject matter.

No worries at all.....we all have games that we end up liking and others we don't....no reason to force it if you don't like it.  It was free anyway:)
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Nefaro on August 31, 2013, 04:49:00 PM
I'm a bit surprised JD doesn't know much about the medieval period.  I had just assumed everyone here did.  :o
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 04:53:44 PM
Well - given I'm fro the UK and surrounded by history relating to empires and royalty - I know it's surprising.

But if you get that I don't even understand my own family tree history - nieces, nephews and the like - and only just get uncles and aunts - then maybe that goes a way to helping you understand how I know nothing about the workings of the game or the time period.

Medieval isn't really a time period I'm that interested in - most particularly from a "family hierarchy" pov.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: undercovergeek on August 31, 2013, 04:54:20 PM
hes scottish - different story for them, when they werent busy hitting each other with sticks and rocks they were having their ass kicked by us  :P
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 04:55:06 PM
And I'd like to say I am suitably embarrassed
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 04:55:27 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 31, 2013, 04:54:20 PM
hes scottish - different story for them, when they werent busy hitting each other with sticks and rocks they were having their ass kicked by us  :P
fracking OUCH!
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Nefaro on August 31, 2013, 04:57:12 PM
I dunno how much CK2 would appeal to you, in that case.  Perhaps if you enjoy Game of Thrones, then you could load up the GoT mod and go that route? *shrug*
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2013, 05:13:27 PM
Love Game of Thrones! Can't wait for the 4th series.

I appreciate people trying to help - I really do. And as I said, I'd like to enjoy the game as it was gifted to me...but it's something I know absolutely zilch about...and that's a new thing for me.

Most games or genres I've had a look into...but never dynasties...never.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 31, 2013, 06:46:34 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 31, 2013, 04:49:00 PM
I'm a bit surprised JD doesn't know much about the medieval period.  I had just assumed everyone here did.  :o

I don't know anything about any time period!
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Toonces on September 01, 2013, 02:59:47 AM
Hmmm.  Well this is a tough one.  In general, I would say that CK2 is worth investing some time in if you have even a passing interest in medieval stuff.  It's a great game, but hard to understand at first.  We had a thread a while back with Gusington about this.  My approach was to sit down and watch about 4 hours of one guy's tutorial videos and that really helped me get the gist of the game.

Also, I didn't know squat about dukes and stuff until I started my Pendragon RPG in the RPG forum here.  In a nutshell, and I might have this somewhat wrong:

Earl: someone that owns one territory.
Duke: someone that owns two territories.  Basically you take two territories and combine them into a duchy, like take two earldoms and combine them into a duchy.  So a Duke outranks an Earl.
I don't know the next up from Duke, I guess it's King or Queen.

A vassal is somebody that is under you in the chain of command.  So if you are a Duke, the people that run your properties are your vassals; the earls of your combined duchy earldoms are vassals which means you're their boss in some way.

Your court are people that are associated with you; some have jobs like Chaplain and Chancellor.  Others I'm not sure, they're like hangers-on or something; people that are part of your inner "club" but don't have a job.  A lot of ladies are like this. 

Women are like currency.  You marry your daughters off to the most senior person that will accept them, hopefully in a kingdom you have aspirations to.  If your daughter marries a King and the King dies, you might have a minor claim to some or all of the kingdom that you can use to press a "du jure" claim.  You have to have a reason to declare a war and this would be one of them. 

Really, you need to watch the tutorial videos to get all of this, but that's the quick run down.

It's a great game.  Hopefully it will grab you, but you can't just "figure it out" without some help.  It's very complex.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Nefaro on September 01, 2013, 07:07:07 PM
I'd propose that he maybe just load up the Game Of Thrones mod for CK2, and perhaps that would be easier for him to get into, and pick up on, the gameplay. 

It's basically just scheming your direct blood relations into more power/prestige/money/whatevah by various, sometimes dastardly, ways.  The reason a GOT mod fits CK2 so well.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:17:13 AM
Thanks.

I'll watch the tutorial videos.

As an "opener" - with this Scottish territory of mine I was likely to lose to England - as I said the guy in charge of the territory was married but didn't have any kids and the heir was the son of the guy who owns Northumberland in England - what would be the options to NOT losing that territory?

I guess I'd want the guy to have kids - but I can't make them. So what? Maybe find him a new wife and kill his current wife (I noticed his wide was twice his age iirc)?Does she have to be killed? Are there other options for getting rid of a spouse? What about replacing him? Can you do that? Who to choose? Simply a younger person?

Like I said - I think I need to watch some videos.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:27:37 AM
On another note (given I mistakenly thought (through my own dumbness) that I was getting EUIV) - I downloaded the demo and was rather disappointed to see that the same old same old of attacking a province and having those armies going into another province - and then you having to chase them all over the place - is still there.

So I think it's rather unlikely I'll get EUIV anywhere in the near future.

In my brief game of it, it seems to actually fit with one of those games I mentioned somewhere (in the Sins of a Solar Empire thread) where the process just goes too fast - especially combat. You find out you're under attack and before you seem to be able to react, you're units are in full retreat.
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: undercovergeek on September 02, 2013, 03:10:08 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:17:13 AM
Does she have to be killed? Are there other options for getting rid of a spouse?

oh man are you playing the wrong game!

channel the Henry VIIIth in you JD - feel him suuuuuuuuuurge through your veins



and kill the beeeeatch
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 05:27:39 AM
lol
Title: Re: CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead
Post by: Nefaro on September 02, 2013, 10:27:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:17:13 AM
Thanks.

I'll watch the tutorial videos.

As an "opener" - with this Scottish territory of mine I was likely to lose to England - as I said the guy in charge of the territory was married but didn't have any kids and the heir was the son of the guy who owns Northumberland in England - what would be the options to NOT losing that territory?

I guess I'd want the guy to have kids - but I can't make them. So what? Maybe find him a new wife and kill his current wife (I noticed his wide was twice his age iirc)?Does she have to be killed? Are there other options for getting rid of a spouse? What about replacing him? Can you do that? Who to choose? Simply a younger person?

Like I said - I think I need to watch some videos.

You can also ask the Pope to annul your marriage, if you've accumulated enough piety and your relationship with him is good. 

But yeah, I usually begin a Plot to kill ye olde wifey if she's not kicking out any children.  As an added bonus, after she's gone, you may be able to get an advantageous new marriage to gain a new ally or place any future children in a position to inherit foreign territory.


Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:27:37 AM
On another note (given I mistakenly thought (through my own dumbness) that I was getting EUIV) - I downloaded the demo and was rather disappointed to see that the same old same old of attacking a province and having those armies going into another province - and then you having to chase them all over the place - is still there.

So I think it's rather unlikely I'll get EUIV anywhere in the near future.

In my brief game of it, it seems to actually fit with one of those games I mentioned somewhere (in the Sins of a Solar Empire thread) where the process just goes too fast - especially combat. You find out you're under attack and before you seem to be able to react, you're units are in full retreat.

The 'pinballing armies' has been improved in CK2.  It's easier to catch them, and eventually whittle them down to nothing.  But the big improvement, with them bouncing around everywhere after a defeat, has come in EU4 where they do a "broken retreat" to a specific friendly or allied province a good distance away.  The welcomed adjustment is when you pursue such a broken army, and attack it after it arrives at this province, you will completely destroy it that second time (if your army's morale is still fairly high in comparison).  So no more pinballing.. just a (sometimes) long pursuit to finish them off in a second blow!  Another great improvement in EU4.