GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM

Title: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
'i have something ive never had - a weekend of my own'

enough Braveheart, inspired by Gus

Undercoverjunior is away, there will be Heroes of Stalingrad, EU IV, and Rome II until i go blind


Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 06:36:06 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
'i have something ive never had - a weekend of my own'

enough Braveheart, inspired by Gus

Undercoverjunior is away, there will be Heroes of Stalingrad, EU IV, and Rome II until i go blind

You wanna try HoS MP this weekend?

I'll be trying to make some scenarios for HoS.

Some VASSAL work that I'm way behind on.

Some more EU IV.

Maybe finally start building my gaming table.......
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: KyzBP on February 21, 2014, 06:44:26 AM
It looks like HoS for me as well.  There will also be more HoI:3 as Norway.

Of course FM14 will get some attention.  Overall it looks like a good weekend. 
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 21, 2014, 06:47:03 AM
I really want to get some Rome II and maybe some CKII, oh and also some Minecraft, and then there is ARMA III, and getting the new JTCS patch, got to try that out ..........
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 06:53:37 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 06:36:06 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
'i have something ive never had - a weekend of my own'

enough Braveheart, inspired by Gus

Undercoverjunior is away, there will be Heroes of Stalingrad, EU IV, and Rome II until i go blind

You wanna try HoS MP this weekend?


thats a good call, im good from 4pm GMT on saturday if that fits in with you
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MetalDog on February 21, 2014, 06:55:48 AM
Due to Jarhead's Paradox thread, I went back and tried EUIII.  Not sure what it is, but, most of what has befuddled me in the past has become clear.  So, I will be giving that a go.  Maybe some Civ IV MP, but that depends on my gaming partners availability.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 06:56:34 AM
I'm up for a meet up for Heroes of Stalingrad mp on Sunday if anyone is interested...and nothing against my American pals, but I'll accept UK offers first.

Apart from that, I might likely fire up EUIV see what I can pick up and of course NASCAR 2014 which is superb.

No gaming on Saturday or tonight because of the rugby.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2014, 07:33:40 AM
I'll be confined to my laptop without an internet connection this weekend, so it will probably be Decisive Campaigns and maybe even some CMANO, finally...
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Anguille on February 21, 2014, 08:00:59 AM
I will continue my Imperium Galactica campaign, try to save my Klackon campaign in MOO2 (being under attack by the Trilarians...) and continue the conquest of Britannia in Populus Romanus II (tablet).
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 08:06:37 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 06:53:37 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 06:36:06 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
'i have something ive never had - a weekend of my own'

enough Braveheart, inspired by Gus

Undercoverjunior is away, there will be Heroes of Stalingrad, EU IV, and Rome II until i go blind

You wanna try HoS MP this weekend?


thats a good call, im good from 4pm GMT on saturday if that fits in with you

Yeah.... ummm that's what EST? 10 am or 11 am? Never can keep that straight. Do you use Skype? There is an in game chat but Skype is always better.
What version are you running?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 08:07:57 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 06:56:34 AM
I'm up for a meet up for Heroes of Stalingrad mp on Sunday if anyone is interested...and nothing against my American pals, but I'll accept UK offers first.
....

How about yer Canadian pals?  ???
I can do Sunday morning from 7 am to 10 am EST.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Gusington on February 21, 2014, 08:11:18 AM
Spreading Iceni culture through Gaul, taking choice bits of Iberia and preparing to go to war with Rome in Rome II.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 08:20:35 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 08:07:57 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 06:56:34 AM
I'm up for a meet up for Heroes of Stalingrad mp on Sunday if anyone is interested...and nothing against my American pals, but I'll accept UK offers first.
....

How about yer Canadian pals?  ???
I can do Sunday morning from 7 am to 10 am EST.
I LOVE Canada. 7am EST is 12pm GMT so that would be fine for me.

I'll have to go checking out how to play online...I'm not even sure I have a Slitherine account. And I don't have Skype and no webcam on the PC anyway.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 08:22:10 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 08:06:37 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 06:53:37 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 06:36:06 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
'i have something ive never had - a weekend of my own'

enough Braveheart, inspired by Gus

Undercoverjunior is away, there will be Heroes of Stalingrad, EU IV, and Rome II until i go blind

You wanna try HoS MP this weekend?


thats a good call, im good from 4pm GMT on saturday if that fits in with you

Yeah.... ummm that's what EST? 10 am or 11 am? Never can keep that straight. Do you use Skype? There is an in game chat but Skype is always better.
What version are you running?
4pm GMT is 11am EST
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 08:25:59 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 08:20:35 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 08:07:57 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 06:56:34 AM
I'm up for a meet up for Heroes of Stalingrad mp on Sunday if anyone is interested...and nothing against my American pals, but I'll accept UK offers first.
....

How about yer Canadian pals?  ???
I can do Sunday morning from 7 am to 10 am EST.
I LOVE Canada. 7am EST is 12pm GMT so that would be fine for me.

I'll have to go checking out how to play online...I'm not even sure I have a Slitherine account. And I don't have Skype and no webcam on the PC anyway.

Yes you need to make a Slitherine account.
It's OK if you don't have Skype. The in game chat works fine.... just slow for bad typists like me.  :P
Tuna has offered his TeamSpeak channel if that's more up yer alley. I'd have to remember how to connect with it as well..

Definitely don't need a camera..... I'll be in my PJ's at that time...  :o
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 08:56:14 AM
Is that a date then? 7am EST?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 21, 2014, 09:03:06 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 21, 2014, 06:55:48 AMNot sure what it is, but, most of what has befuddled me in the past has become clear.

ya dun git smarter by osmosis hanging out here.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 09:03:29 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 08:56:14 AM
Is that a date then? 7am EST?

You bet, 7am EST Sunday.

Update to the 1.04 beta version.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 09:11:18 AM
lmao - you two go first, ill play the winner
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 09:22:11 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 09:11:18 AM
lmao - you two go first, ill play the winner

You wanna go on Sat.?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 10:06:23 AM
yeah, cool
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 10:35:42 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
'i have something ive never had - a weekend of my own'

enough Braveheart, inspired by Gus

Undercoverjunior is away, there will be Heroes of Stalingrad, EU IV, and Rome II until i go blind

...............and banished
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 10:36:49 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 10:06:23 AM
yeah, cool

11 am EST - 4PM GMT on Sat.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 10:42:01 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 10:35:42 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
'i have something ive never had - a weekend of my own'

enough Braveheart, inspired by Gus

Undercoverjunior is away, there will be Heroes of Stalingrad, EU IV, and Rome II until i go blind

...............and banished
Did you buy Banished? What's it like? I was about to pull the trigger until I was sidetracked with NASCAR 2014.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 21, 2014, 11:05:36 AM
this weekend is my first forray - i think everyones fervour got pissed on by the RPS review, but if you read the comments its a lot deeper than the reviewer expected, its not sim city, you cant just 'fire and forget' some commercial land and hope it works, do it in banished and youll die, it needs working out, researching and watching slowly - he had forragers in open ground where there was nothing to forrage, hunters in a forest where there was nothing to hunt, and small farms away from houses - it needs some thought thats all, and im looking forward to jumping in and probably failing spectacularly
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Rayfer on February 21, 2014, 11:28:01 AM
Looking to check out the recently patched up Flashpoint Campaigns and another scenario in Heros of Stalingrad.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Greybriar on February 21, 2014, 11:32:56 AM
Banished will be the main game on my agenda this weekend.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 11:41:55 AM
Looking forward to what you all have to say about Banished.....
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Martok on February 21, 2014, 12:15:49 PM
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, and maybe a little Birth of the Federation. 

Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Sir Slash on February 21, 2014, 12:24:41 PM
Rome 2. Trying to find some armor to fit my elephants. And, some one brave enough to try to put it on them. And Skyrim because I'm tired of CMFI handing me my ass in a hat that doesn't fit all week. It's time to make some un-dead re-dead.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: mikeck on February 21, 2014, 12:32:21 PM
Rome 2:  I am going to turn east and backstab my Greek allies and swarm them with my 10 legions

Next it's EU IV:  going to try Britain again and basically just rule the world you know the normal stuff

Then it's CMANO:  I know loving these new World War III scenarios people are putting out going to blow up a couple of Soviet naval fleets maybe some naval bases... Commies
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 21, 2014, 01:18:37 PM
TOME aka Tales of Maj'Eyal.  It has a bajillion (1,297) achievements now that it's out on Steam.

Should be starting a new Crusader Kings 2 campaign sometime soon. 

Lots of solitaire-capable tabletop games to play, too. 
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bbmike on February 21, 2014, 01:50:54 PM
Is someone keeping a list of all the "It's Friday" thread titles?  ;D
Looks like Civ5 for now. Not sure what else I'll squeeze in.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:10:49 PM
Due to total mayhem in the Bob household for the last few days, since we having a new kitchen fitted with a procession of builders/plumbers/electricians/plasterers traipsing about, gaming has taken a low profile, although I'm managing to mess about with HotB and IDD a bit.

On top of that, I've been engaged by my former employers as a consultant, so I'm spending a lot of time working on a project (they provided me with a laptop as well). That means earning some extra dosh to help pay for the above kitchen.

So much for a quiet retirement!
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 21, 2014, 02:12:28 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:10:49 PM
Due to total mayhem in the Bob household for the last few days, since we having a new kitchen fitted with a procession of builders/plumbers/electricians/plasterers traipsing about, gaming has taken a low profile, although I'm managing to mess about with HotB and IDD a bit.

On top of that, I've been engaged by my former employers as a consultant, so I'm spending a lot of time working on a project (they provided me with a laptop as well). That means earning some extra dosh to help pay for the above kitchen.

So much for a quiet retirement!

Are they at least paying you more than you made as an employee?
More money to get HoS.  ;)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:32:59 PM
^Oh yes, you bet they are, or I wouldn't be doing it!
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2014, 02:41:05 PM
Nice one bob. That's always the way. Add "consultant" to any job description and earn a whack more :-)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
Just a shame that the wicked old tax man will want some of it  :(
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: W8taminute on February 21, 2014, 02:55:38 PM
I will be playing some video games today.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Kushan on February 21, 2014, 03:30:29 PM
Still in the midst of a really bad cold, so I doubt I'll do a lot of gaming this weekend. If I play anything it will probably be two normal "sick" games, Skyrim or Distant Worlds. In the middle of a MP match in Command as well, so I'll probably do a few turns of that as well.

Or I may just chug a bottle of nightquil and sleep all weekend.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2014, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: Kushan on February 21, 2014, 03:30:29 PM

Or I may just chug a bottle of nightquil and sleep all weekend.

Nectar of the Gods!
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: mikeck on February 21, 2014, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 21, 2014, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: Kushan on February 21, 2014, 03:30:29 PM

Or I may just chug a bottle of nightquil and sleep all weekend.

Nectar of the Gods!

Lol...no, that would be Tussionex!
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MetalDog on February 21, 2014, 07:00:53 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 21, 2014, 09:03:06 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 21, 2014, 06:55:48 AMNot sure what it is, but, most of what has befuddled me in the past has become clear.

ya dun git smarter by osmosis hanging out here.

While I certainly agree with that, I will have to credit the EUIII Wiki and a dollop of experience with past Paradox games.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Gusington on February 21, 2014, 08:23:53 PM
NyQuil has saved my life on many a mucus-y occasion.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Toonces on February 21, 2014, 11:28:22 PM
So I'm looking at this sale for Heroes of Might and Magic and someone asks on the Steam forums which is better, HMM or Wizardry 8. Good question- I'm not familiar with the Wizardry series.  Let's go on Gamespot and check it out!

Hmmmm, sounds neat.  Ok, maybe I should head over to Steam and pick it up and maybe Wizardry 6 and 7 to go along with it!

Thinking...you know, this sounds kind of familiar.  Did I buy a game like this on GoG not too long ago?  Let me check.... well what do you know, I have Wizardry 6, 7, AND 8 all in my GoG games!

Doh!   :o   ::)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Toonces on February 21, 2014, 11:37:04 PM
But if I'm not playing Wizardry 8, I do plan on playing Wings: Over Flanders Fields (fantastic game!) and Crusader Kings II.

They really nailed it with WOFF.  I'm having some graphical anomalies, but the gameplay is top notch.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 22, 2014, 03:34:48 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
Just a shame that the wicked old tax man will want some of it  :(

Aren't REALLY old people exempt?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Tuna on February 22, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: mikeck on February 22, 2014, 12:30:08 PM
Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').

Man, my fix it guide is shorter:
1. Turn of computer
2. Turn computer back on
3.  If problem continues, take computer to Naples Computer Repair Inc
4.  Wait for call explaining why you need to pay $300
5. Get computer back
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bob48 on February 22, 2014, 01:02:50 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 22, 2014, 03:34:48 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
Just a shame that the wicked old tax man will want some of it  :(

Aren't REALLY old people exempt?

Its the MODERATELY old one's I'm worried about.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 22, 2014, 03:00:09 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 22, 2014, 01:02:50 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 22, 2014, 03:34:48 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
Just a shame that the wicked old tax man will want some of it  :(

Aren't REALLY old people exempt?

Its the MODERATELY old one's I'm worried about.

nah, youre kids are fine

you?


bwahahahahahahahaha
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bob48 on February 22, 2014, 03:25:15 PM
LOL - laugh? I thought I'd never start......
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: W8taminute on February 22, 2014, 07:19:49 PM
Picked up Farming Simulator 2013 on sale on Steam Friday and I just can't get enough.  Who ever thought that watching grass grow could be so much fun.  No really, I'm serious.  This is one engaging game. 
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 07:22:52 PM
Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').

I cleaned the fans and checked the thermal paste.  Both seem OK.  I think it's either a lose connection with the thermistor or an issue with the BIOS as the fans will function normally when I boot up on some occasions.  Other times, I'll boot up and the fans will sit at 25% (idle) until the CPU temp approaches the high alarm and then all kick on at 100%.  For the last couple of days, some boot ups will ass the fans just sit at 25% and not react to temp increases at all.  I
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Barthheart on February 22, 2014, 08:26:34 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 22, 2014, 07:19:49 PM
Picked up Farming Simulator 2013 on sale on Steam Friday and I just can't get enough.  Who ever thought that watching grass grow could be so much fun.  No really, I'm serious.  This is one engaging game.

Stop drinking and step away from the PC.....  :o
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Staggerwing on February 22, 2014, 09:15:27 PM
^No, he's right. Those farming sims have a kind of wistful attraction, as if you could just let all your complicated RL troubles fall away and the only thing you need to worry about is just making stuff grow while you get to play with big machines and occasionally feed the livestock. I actually liked Farm Sim 2011 even better since it has some great scenery you can drive and walk through- lots of coastline, a castle you can explore, and even a mountain pass with an active  railroad going through it.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 09:20:39 PM
I had to do some farm simming when I was a kid.

I suppose these games don't have you castrating squealing hordes piglets en masse, running from angry cattle, or putting injured livestock out of their misery, do they?  :P
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Staggerwing on February 22, 2014, 09:25:37 PM
Not so much. It's mostly crops. BTW, in the mid 70's my folks got into the 'farming' thing for a bit as well. Mostly chickens and geese but we had a few sheep and goats for couple of years. The goats and at least one goose were real SOBs and bit/kicked hard. I'll take crops over livestock any day.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 22, 2014, 09:59:52 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 21, 2014, 09:03:06 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 21, 2014, 06:55:48 AMNot sure what it is, but, most of what has befuddled me in the past has become clear.

ya dun git smarter by osmosis hanging out here.

  Yppers!  Anyway -- Where Eagles Dare (board game) for me and CMFI.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 22, 2014, 10:02:32 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on CMBN: Market Garden...really going to try and stay with it this time.  Hopefully, will have some good time available tomorrow.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Sir Slash on February 22, 2014, 10:16:46 PM
W8. I hope your farming sim "crop" is legal.  ::)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: W8taminute on February 22, 2014, 11:50:13 PM
Stagger hit the nail right on the head.  These farming type games really immerse you in beautiful scenery and take your mind off of RL woes.  Watching the sun rise over your crops is really therapeutic.   You liked FS2011 better?  Looks like I'll have to look into that one as well. 

And Sir Slash, I assure you my crops are legal!  LOL
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Greybriar on February 23, 2014, 12:37:37 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 22, 2014, 07:19:49 PM
Picked up Farming Simulator 2013 on sale on Steam Friday and I just can't get enough.  Who ever thought that watching grass grow could be so much fun.  No really, I'm serious.  This is one engaging game.

After I read your post I was considering buying Agricultural Simulator 2013 so I googled it to get more information. After reading this blog (http://www.roadwolf.ca/?p=2924), I am very reluctant to buy it.

Have you had any issues with the game?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: WallysWorld on February 23, 2014, 01:28:53 AM
I played Agricultural Simulator 2011 for a quite a long time and enjoyed it. It is quite relaxing to play and satisfying to see your crops grow.

I also have Farming Simulator 2013, but haven't got much into it yet. After reading these posts, I'll have to.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bob48 on February 23, 2014, 06:30:30 AM
You lads have made me feel quite bucolic now. I'm quite tempted by the idea of the farming sim. I was going to ask if its a game that grows on you, but MD would only think that I was being punny  :)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 06:36:25 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 22, 2014, 10:02:32 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on CMBN: Market Garden...really going to try and stay with it this time.  Hopefully, will have some good time available tomorrow.
Let me know how you go. I'm still trying to fight my way into Combat Mission:Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy. I stopped short of Market Garden, even though I like the arena, because I just do not seem to be able to get into these games.

I watch videos on Youtube, they inspire me, I load it up, see all the units I have to position and often bail at that point, and if I don't I end up bailing when my wee troops start falling everywhere!
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 23, 2014, 07:15:36 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 06:36:25 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 22, 2014, 10:02:32 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on CMBN: Market Garden...really going to try and stay with it this time.  Hopefully, will have some good time available tomorrow.
Let me know how you go. I'm still trying to fight my way into Combat Mission:Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy. I stopped short of Market Garden, even though I like the arena, because I just do not seem to be able to get into these games.

I watch videos on Youtube, they inspire me, I load it up, see all the units I have to position and often bail at that point, and if I don't I end up bailing when my wee troops start falling everywhere!

Will do..played a bit last night on one of the smaller scenarios, had a good time.  I am going to play we-go versus RTS since I think it will help me like it better and give me more time to give orders.  I did get slaughtered though, what else is new:)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MetalDog on February 23, 2014, 08:46:54 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 23, 2014, 06:30:30 AM
You lads have made me feel quite bucolic now. I'm quite tempted by the idea of the farming sim. I was going to ask if its a game that grows on you, but MD would only think that I was being punny  :)


And I would be RIGHT you mean old man :P
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: bob48 on February 23, 2014, 09:30:21 AM
Guilty, as charged  ;)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: W8taminute on February 23, 2014, 11:34:47 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on February 23, 2014, 12:37:37 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 22, 2014, 07:19:49 PM
Picked up Farming Simulator 2013 on sale on Steam Friday and I just can't get enough.  Who ever thought that watching grass grow could be so much fun.  No really, I'm serious.  This is one engaging game.

After I read your post I was considering buying Agricultural Simulator 2013 so I googled it to get more information. After reading this blog (http://www.roadwolf.ca/?p=2924), I am very reluctant to buy it.

Have you had any issues with the game?

Greybriar I was also looking into Agricultural Simulator but all of the Steam reviews on the game were mostly negative.  They mostly talk about how pretty the game looks but the game itself is riddled with bugs.  Sounds like WallysWorld has had some success with the game however. 

So far with Farming Simulator (~21 hours of play time) I've had no issues with crashes or bugs.  The game is pretty forgiving in the sense that if you drive your tractor into a ditch you can usually work your way out of it.  I had one instance where my tractor got stuck on a sidewalk curb that overlooked a slope.  Could not drive the tractor out of the situation and I was ready to hit the vehicle reset switch the game comes with which places all of your vehicles in the last save game locations.  Then it dawned on me to use another tractor to push the stuck tractor to safety.  It worked quite well just like it would have in real life.  That really is the only trouble I've come across with the game. 


Edit:  I just remembered to comment about the blog link you posted.  He states dedicated server issues and paying extra money to play online with his wife.  I have not tried multiplayer with this game yet but supposedly you can join a farming community and help build a farming business together with other players from across the internet.  Unless you want to play multiplayer sessions of Farming Simulator 2013 I don't find that this would be an issue.  Some of the Youtube videos I've watched about multiplayer seem to suggest that playing online with other people is not an issue.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: undercovergeek on February 23, 2014, 11:59:13 AM
i see your Farming Sim and i raise you Banished - had my first hour with the game today, no super speeding the clock, just real time watching my little fellas build their houses, fish, and collect resources - very serene, very satisfying - it all went down the sh**ter when all my fishermen died because i didnt build the hut long enough - but ill be back in for a retry later
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Martok on February 23, 2014, 01:29:55 PM
Man, sometimes I almost forget how enjoyable FE:LH is, and how much I like (most of) the game's mechanics. 

Started a new campaign with my custom Sovereign, and am merrily exploring and questing my way around the surrounding territory.  Sadly, I'm not quite powerful enough yet to engage frickin' spiders (aside from the occasional singleton), so I'll have to swing back around to take them out after leveling up once or twice more. 

Already got my first champion (Iriel), and am steadily accruing additional Fame so I can pop a second one.  May split off Iriel with his own small army to cover more ground.  Am trying to balance research between Civics and Magic (I went with the Mage path for my Sovereign).  Fun! 

Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: mikeck on February 23, 2014, 02:30:23 PM
Quote from: Martok on February 23, 2014, 01:29:55 PM
Man, sometimes I almost forget how enjoyable FE:LH is, and how much I like (most of) the game's mechanics. 

Started a new campaign with my custom Sovereign, and am merrily exploring and questing my way around the surrounding territory.  Sadly, I'm not quite powerful enough yet to engage frickin' spiders (aside from the occasional singleton), so I'll have to swing back around to take them out after leveling up once or twice more. 

Already got my first champion (Iriel), and am steadily accruing additional Fame so I can pop a second one.  May split off Iriel with his own small army to cover more ground.  Am trying to balance research between Civics and Magic (I went with the Mage path for my Sovereign).  Fun!

Yep, I'm glad this turned out to be a great game. Supposedly patch 1.6 is near so I will start up a game then (thought I heard that). I have a feeling this and age of wonders 3 will occupy a lot off time in the spring....right nor I'm in a Cold War/Romam/EU IV phases
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Greybriar on February 23, 2014, 02:37:23 PM
Thanks for your input, W8taminute. I will bear in mind what you posted when I make my decision to buy the game or not.

Quote from: Martok on February 23, 2014, 01:29:55 PM
Man, sometimes I almost forget how enjoyable FE:LH is, and how much I like (most of) the game's mechanics....

If anyone is interested in playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, it is featured today on GamersGate for $13.60 (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FELH/fallen-enchantress-legendary-heroes), a 66% savings. Better hurry though, the offer expires in 12 hours.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.

Combat Commander might be my favorite boardgame series right now. 
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.

Combat Commander might be my favorite boardgame series right now.

I really like the way the system forces you to tailor your tactics with card draws and uses the same to create random events. Really nicely done.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 05:15:51 PM
it's two player, is it not?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:23:45 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 05:15:51 PM
it's two player, is it not?

Yeah, but I'm solo-ing it for the time being. Actually not that hard to do.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2014, 05:25:14 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.

Combat Commander might be my favorite boardgame series right now.

I really like the way the system forces you to tailor your tactics with card draws and uses the same to create random events. Really nicely done.

Agreed.  The random events do keep you on your toes.


Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:23:45 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 05:15:51 PM
it's two player, is it not?

Yeah, but I'm solo-ing it for the time being. Actually not that hard to do.

Same here, although I do have a friend who has CC: Pacific who I get to game with but very rarely.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: W8taminute on February 23, 2014, 06:38:18 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 23, 2014, 11:59:13 AM
i see your Farming Sim and i raise you Banished - had my first hour with the game today, no super speeding the clock, just real time watching my little fellas build their houses, fish, and collect resources - very serene, very satisfying - it all went down the sh**ter when all my fishermen died because i didnt build the hut long enough - but ill be back in for a retry later

Cool.  I've got Banished on my wishlist.  It does look appealing.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Sir Slash on February 24, 2014, 10:48:58 AM
So I gave into the temptation over the weekend and bought Decisive Campaigns WtoP at $20 and am learning the system slowly. But the Decisive Factor in my decision to jump-in was some of the planned mods for the game. One is for Crete 1941 with company level units and another for Norway 1940 with major and minor fleet units as well as aircraft, shore batteries and even an armored train all with new graphics for the units. This maybe old news for many of you, but it looks a lot like Love-at-first-sight to me. If modders can add a truly, workable air and naval element to this game, then I may have to change my name to Sir Hex-a lot.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 24, 2014, 01:30:54 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 06:36:25 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 22, 2014, 10:02:32 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on CMBN: Market Garden...really going to try and stay with it this time.  Hopefully, will have some good time available tomorrow.
Let me know how you go. I'm still trying to fight my way into Combat Mission:Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy. I stopped short of Market Garden, even though I like the arena, because I just do not seem to be able to get into these games.

I watch videos on Youtube, they inspire me, I load it up, see all the units I have to position and often bail at that point, and if I don't I end up bailing when my wee troops start falling everywhere!

I don't know.  A gruesome WWII disaster for me is more theraputing than watching tractors in a simulator.  For one thing -- I have a rea tractor -- in fact I have a Russian Tractor.  I guess I should get a simulator for it since I'm too scared to drive the thing.

Anyway -- why just last night in CMFI, I had a Green US Stuart Company get pretty shot up by an Elite Italian Recon company.  It was all wonderful except for the screaming.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 24, 2014, 06:16:43 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 07:22:52 PM
Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').

I cleaned the fans and checked the thermal paste.  Both seem OK.  I think it's either a lose connection with the thermistor or an issue with the BIOS as the fans will function normally when I boot up on some occasions.  Other times, I'll boot up and the fans will sit at 25% (idle) until the CPU temp approaches the high alarm and then all kick on at 100%.  For the last couple of days, some boot ups will ass the fans just sit at 25% and not react to temp increases at all.  I

Turns out it was a very small leak in the coolant line close to the CPU.  The pump was pumping but it'd get air locked intermittently.  Also on chip on my 4x4GB bank of RAM is failing.  Gonna have to go through Corsair directly to get the warranty replacements for the memory.  Warranty for the coolant system is done so $95 for a replacement.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Gusington on February 24, 2014, 06:59:13 PM
Why the hell do you have a Russian tractor, Meng?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 24, 2014, 07:07:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 24, 2014, 06:16:43 PM

Turns out it was a very small leak in the coolant line close to the CPU.  The pump was pumping but it'd get air locked intermittently.  Also on chip on my 4x4GB bank of RAM is failing.  Gonna have to go through Corsair directly to get the warranty replacements for the memory.  Warranty for the coolant system is done so $95 for a replacement.

Maybe I'm too much of a penny pincher but I never bother using special coolers and overclocking.  More sophisticated moving parts = more stuff that will break down and have to be replaced.   ;)
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Staggerwing on February 24, 2014, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 24, 2014, 07:07:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 24, 2014, 06:16:43 PM

Turns out it was a very small leak in the coolant line close to the CPU.  The pump was pumping but it'd get air locked intermittently.  Also on chip on my 4x4GB bank of RAM is failing.  Gonna have to go through Corsair directly to get the warranty replacements for the memory.  Warranty for the coolant system is done so $95 for a replacement.

Maybe I'm too much of a penny pincher but I never bother using special coolers and overclocking.  More sophisticated moving parts = more stuff that will break down and have to be replaced.   ;)

Exactly why I hate power windows. Every vehicle I buy (and I buy Used because the Money Tree in my backyard only grows crabapples, not currency) runs swimmingly for about 6 months and then the driver-side window breaks down, though never because of the switch or other easy-button parts. As an aside, my main Win7 box just crapped out on me (no video) and I ended up swapping vid cards, trying the onboard video, and even pulling every pullable (that even a word?) component until it was just mobo and PSU. Turns out one of my RAM sticks was fubar and I had luckily ordered another stick with 'moar RAM' a few weeks back (because, well Moar RAM makes everything moar betterer and gooder, dontcha know) so I popped that sucker in and I was right back to agonizing over what games to play, so much so that I got frustrated and went back to surfing the GH site on my iMac. Oh well...
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 24, 2014, 09:16:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 24, 2014, 06:59:13 PM
Why the hell do you have a Russian tractor, Meng?

  I have a farm.  Apparently Russian tractors are cheap and work okay.  My wife bought this one before our marriage and various people working the lower part of the farm have used it over the last few years.  It's in a kind of giant garage annex to the old barn.  I've suggested we sell it, but the locals are wary of the thing, though there is a steady stream of inquiries about it from various farmers.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Staggerwing on February 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM
Where is your farm, Meng?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 25, 2014, 12:33:11 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM
Where is your farm, Meng?

North Korea Is Best Korea!

:P
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 25, 2014, 09:14:22 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM
Where is your farm, Meng?

  In the Western Mountains of North Carolina.
 
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 25, 2014, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 25, 2014, 12:33:11 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM
Where is your farm, Meng?

North Korea Is Best Korea!

:P

  North Carolina is best Carolina.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2014, 12:21:09 PM
Sitting where I am right now...in a cubicle...your farm sounds like a little piece of paradise. Do you grow tobacco?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 25, 2014, 01:42:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2014, 12:21:09 PM
Sitting where I am right now...in a cubicle...your farm sounds like a little piece of paradise. Do you grow tobacco?

   It is quite paradisical.  The previous owners grew tobacco in the lower fields and cured it in the barn.  Like most farmers around here they took the buy-out as part of the tobacco settlement.  When my wife bought most of the place, she got the lower fields, the barn, the creek, the gulley (where there are often bears and an ancient well owned by a friendly fellow with lots of big rifles), three upper fields and some hills with woods, but no house.  So she built a rather galleon-like timberframe house  kind of hull-down about 200 feet over the lower part and about 100 feet below the woods.  Various people have farmed the lower fields under our regime.  They have grown certified organic cabbages and tomatoes.  A couple of other fields have horses in them, but up around the house there's just trees, wildlife, and an occasional distant horse.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 25, 2014, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 25, 2014, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 25, 2014, 12:33:11 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM
Where is your farm, Meng?

North Korea Is Best Korea!

:P

  North Carolina is best Carolina.


Heh!

You need to use that more often.  ;D
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2014, 02:06:11 PM
If you need another farmhand Meng, you know where to find me.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 25, 2014, 02:45:19 PM
Oompa Loompa farms?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2014, 03:28:15 PM
HAHA

No.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 25, 2014, 03:29:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2014, 02:06:11 PM
If you need another farmhand Meng, you know where to find me.

Growing hemp in the hills?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Sir Slash on February 25, 2014, 07:26:44 PM
Meng. Do you and your wife allow running naked through the hills and woods? Or is it a Clothing Mandatory farm?
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 25, 2014, 10:51:55 PM
well Gus knows about it so its obviously a running naked through the woods kinda place.

duh
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 26, 2014, 09:29:53 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2014, 02:06:11 PM
If you need another farmhand Meng, you know where to find me.

  Apparently, we will be "bush hogging" come spring.  So if you have one of those -- bring your clothes and goggles and gloves and come on up.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: MengJiao on February 26, 2014, 09:34:56 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 25, 2014, 07:26:44 PM
Meng. Do you and your wife allow running naked through the hills and woods? Or is it a Clothing Mandatory farm?


   Given the poison ivy, barbed wire, splintery timbers, nematodes, horse poop, ants, gravel, nightshade and lots of thorny plants, clothing is usually a good idea on the farm.  Skinny dipping has been attempted, but with snakes and hellbenders in the creek, a wet suit might be nice too.
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Sir Slash on February 26, 2014, 12:37:37 PM
You had me there for a second with the Bush-Hogging, that sounds fun, but count me out with Hellbenders. Here in Florida, we do Cow-Tipping at night but you gotta watch the bulls. They don't like to be tipped in any direction. ;D
Title: Re: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"
Post by: Nefaro on February 26, 2014, 05:14:03 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 26, 2014, 12:37:37 PM
You had me there for a second with the Bush-Hogging, that sounds fun, but count me out with Hellbenders. Here in Florida, we do Cow-Tipping at night but you gotta watch the bulls. They don't like to be tipped in any direction. ;D

Mowing down weeds en masse probably isn't as fun as cow-tipping.