"They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"

Started by undercovergeek, February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greybriar

Thanks for your input, W8taminute. I will bear in mind what you posted when I make my decision to buy the game or not.

Quote from: Martok on February 23, 2014, 01:29:55 PM
Man, sometimes I almost forget how enjoyable FE:LH is, and how much I like (most of) the game's mechanics....

If anyone is interested in playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, it is featured today on GamersGate for $13.60, a 66% savings. Better hurry though, the offer expires in 12 hours.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Arctic Blast

Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.

Combat Commander might be my favorite boardgame series right now. 
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.

Combat Commander might be my favorite boardgame series right now.

I really like the way the system forces you to tailor your tactics with card draws and uses the same to create random events. Really nicely done.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Arctic Blast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 05:15:51 PM
it's two player, is it not?

Yeah, but I'm solo-ing it for the time being. Actually not that hard to do.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Finally broke out Combat Commander Europe on the table yesterday and played through the 1st scenario. Really enjoyed it. I'll be playing some more today, and then punching out the first 3 expansions (which I got mint in a trade) into counter trays. Now I just need CC : Med...

Not too much else aside from that.

Combat Commander might be my favorite boardgame series right now.

I really like the way the system forces you to tailor your tactics with card draws and uses the same to create random events. Really nicely done.

Agreed.  The random events do keep you on your toes.


Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 23, 2014, 05:23:45 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 05:15:51 PM
it's two player, is it not?

Yeah, but I'm solo-ing it for the time being. Actually not that hard to do.

Same here, although I do have a friend who has CC: Pacific who I get to game with but very rarely.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

W8taminute

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 23, 2014, 11:59:13 AM
i see your Farming Sim and i raise you Banished - had my first hour with the game today, no super speeding the clock, just real time watching my little fellas build their houses, fish, and collect resources - very serene, very satisfying - it all went down the sh**ter when all my fishermen died because i didnt build the hut long enough - but ill be back in for a retry later

Cool.  I've got Banished on my wishlist.  It does look appealing.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

So I gave into the temptation over the weekend and bought Decisive Campaigns WtoP at $20 and am learning the system slowly. But the Decisive Factor in my decision to jump-in was some of the planned mods for the game. One is for Crete 1941 with company level units and another for Norway 1940 with major and minor fleet units as well as aircraft, shore batteries and even an armored train all with new graphics for the units. This maybe old news for many of you, but it looks a lot like Love-at-first-sight to me. If modders can add a truly, workable air and naval element to this game, then I may have to change my name to Sir Hex-a lot.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 23, 2014, 06:36:25 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 22, 2014, 10:02:32 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on CMBN: Market Garden...really going to try and stay with it this time.  Hopefully, will have some good time available tomorrow.
Let me know how you go. I'm still trying to fight my way into Combat Mission:Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy. I stopped short of Market Garden, even though I like the arena, because I just do not seem to be able to get into these games.

I watch videos on Youtube, they inspire me, I load it up, see all the units I have to position and often bail at that point, and if I don't I end up bailing when my wee troops start falling everywhere!

I don't know.  A gruesome WWII disaster for me is more theraputing than watching tractors in a simulator.  For one thing -- I have a rea tractor -- in fact I have a Russian Tractor.  I guess I should get a simulator for it since I'm too scared to drive the thing.

Anyway -- why just last night in CMFI, I had a Green US Stuart Company get pretty shot up by an Elite Italian Recon company.  It was all wonderful except for the screaming.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 07:22:52 PM
Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').

I cleaned the fans and checked the thermal paste.  Both seem OK.  I think it's either a lose connection with the thermistor or an issue with the BIOS as the fans will function normally when I boot up on some occasions.  Other times, I'll boot up and the fans will sit at 25% (idle) until the CPU temp approaches the high alarm and then all kick on at 100%.  For the last couple of days, some boot ups will ass the fans just sit at 25% and not react to temp increases at all.  I

Turns out it was a very small leak in the coolant line close to the CPU.  The pump was pumping but it'd get air locked intermittently.  Also on chip on my 4x4GB bank of RAM is failing.  Gonna have to go through Corsair directly to get the warranty replacements for the memory.  Warranty for the coolant system is done so $95 for a replacement.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 24, 2014, 06:16:43 PM

Turns out it was a very small leak in the coolant line close to the CPU.  The pump was pumping but it'd get air locked intermittently.  Also on chip on my 4x4GB bank of RAM is failing.  Gonna have to go through Corsair directly to get the warranty replacements for the memory.  Warranty for the coolant system is done so $95 for a replacement.

Maybe I'm too much of a penny pincher but I never bother using special coolers and overclocking.  More sophisticated moving parts = more stuff that will break down and have to be replaced.   ;)

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on February 24, 2014, 07:07:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 24, 2014, 06:16:43 PM

Turns out it was a very small leak in the coolant line close to the CPU.  The pump was pumping but it'd get air locked intermittently.  Also on chip on my 4x4GB bank of RAM is failing.  Gonna have to go through Corsair directly to get the warranty replacements for the memory.  Warranty for the coolant system is done so $95 for a replacement.

Maybe I'm too much of a penny pincher but I never bother using special coolers and overclocking.  More sophisticated moving parts = more stuff that will break down and have to be replaced.   ;)

Exactly why I hate power windows. Every vehicle I buy (and I buy Used because the Money Tree in my backyard only grows crabapples, not currency) runs swimmingly for about 6 months and then the driver-side window breaks down, though never because of the switch or other easy-button parts. As an aside, my main Win7 box just crapped out on me (no video) and I ended up swapping vid cards, trying the onboard video, and even pulling every pullable (that even a word?) component until it was just mobo and PSU. Turns out one of my RAM sticks was fubar and I had luckily ordered another stick with 'moar RAM' a few weeks back (because, well Moar RAM makes everything moar betterer and gooder, dontcha know) so I popped that sucker in and I was right back to agonizing over what games to play, so much so that I got frustrated and went back to surfing the GH site on my iMac. Oh well...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on February 24, 2014, 06:59:13 PM
Why the hell do you have a Russian tractor, Meng?

  I have a farm.  Apparently Russian tractors are cheap and work okay.  My wife bought this one before our marriage and various people working the lower part of the farm have used it over the last few years.  It's in a kind of giant garage annex to the old barn.  I've suggested we sell it, but the locals are wary of the thing, though there is a steady stream of inquiries about it from various farmers.