GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tpek on February 28, 2014, 05:39:28 AM

Title: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on February 28, 2014, 05:39:28 AM
Is it just me or is Steam drunk&unconscious again? :P

I can access neither the Steam client or the website.

EDIT: I seem to now have access to the website.
I guess they're still having a hangover though.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on February 28, 2014, 05:43:04 AM
Loading up fine for me.

Maybe a cross-ocean hub wigging out on you?

Although I was getting some intermittent video pauses last night when browsing their store.  That was during US peak time, though.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on February 28, 2014, 05:48:05 AM
I've seen it discussed over the Steam forum.
Seems like it is happening to a lot of people.
Could be they still haven't brought up all the regional servers, so you can connect fine while I still can't.

Going to eat lunch, hopefully it will be back by the time I'm finished.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on February 28, 2014, 05:49:26 AM
Quote from: Tpek on February 28, 2014, 05:48:05 AM
I've seen it discussed over the Steam forum.
Seems like it is happening to a lot of people.
Could be they still haven't brought up all the regional servers, so you can connect fine while I still can't.

Going to eat lunch, hopefully it will be back by the time I'm finished.

I was already connected so perhaps their login stuff isn't working.  I loaded their store page in record time so that jives with this theory since there would be less people on than usual.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Staggerwing on February 28, 2014, 06:23:10 AM
I can't log in either and I'm on the US East Coast.


EDIT: NM, just got on after 3 tries.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on February 28, 2014, 09:00:59 AM
Steam is still problematic.
It won't let me play Thief.
Which is annoying since only today it unlocked for the world.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on February 28, 2014, 09:20:59 AM
It may be doing you an inadverdant favor with that.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: sandman2575 on February 28, 2014, 09:35:11 AM
I've been getting Steam weirdness as well.  Twice in the past week it kept giving me the 'connection failed' message, which is incredibly irritating ("Check your internet connection" -- works fine, thank you very much). 

Only way around it, that I could find, was to delete everything in my Steam folder *except* the ever precious Steamapps and steam.exe.  Then when you launch Steam it re-downloads the deleted stuff.  Has worked twice now, but it's a PITA.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Boggit on February 28, 2014, 10:18:01 AM
Add me on that. I had the connection issue a couple of days ago. It didn't last long, but it is irritating...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Martok on February 28, 2014, 12:05:56 PM
I wasn't able to log into Steam when I first fired up my computer this morning (around 8:30).  However, I just tried again, and it seems to be fine now.  <knocks on wood>

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: SgtRock on February 28, 2014, 02:43:26 PM
Just tried, first attempt failed but, the second try worked.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: RooksBailey on February 28, 2014, 04:57:30 PM
Quote from: Boggit on February 28, 2014, 10:18:01 AM
Add me on that. I had the connection issue a couple of days ago. It didn't last long, but it is irritating...

Yeah, that has happened to me over the last two days.  Usually on my first attempt to start up Steam.  Today it loaded up fine, though.  Seeing how hugely popular Steam has become, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Steam servers are groaning under the load.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on February 28, 2014, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on February 28, 2014, 04:57:30 PM
Quote from: Boggit on February 28, 2014, 10:18:01 AM
Add me on that. I had the connection issue a couple of days ago. It didn't last long, but it is irritating...

Yeah, that has happened to me over the last two days.  Usually on my first attempt to start up Steam.  Today it loaded up fine, though.  Seeing how hugely popular Steam has become, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Steam servers are groaning under the load.

I get some poor d/l speeds and response times on a fairly regular basis, and even the rare login rejection.  But it's never lasted for long. 

I had actually thought they were doing better during the last couple big sales.  Before then, I'd just get constant time-outs trying to access their online store for a couple days straight.  These last couple times it was only for short stretches and I could get on the same day/evening.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Father Ted on March 01, 2014, 06:22:25 AM
Quote from: Tpek on February 28, 2014, 09:00:59 AM
Steam is still problematic.
It won't let me play Thief.
Which is annoying since only today it unlocked for the world.

Could this be the problemo?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Ian C on March 01, 2014, 11:06:12 AM
Steam was down officially. These links are invaluable for stress-free gaming & surfing:

http://www.issteamdown.com/

and

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/


Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Martok on March 01, 2014, 02:43:24 PM
Quote from: IanC on March 01, 2014, 11:06:12 AM
Steam was down officially. These links are invaluable for stress-free gaming & surfing:

http://www.issteamdown.com/

and

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/



Ha, those are great.  Thanks Ian! 

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Ian C on March 02, 2014, 12:45:48 PM
Quote from: Martok on March 01, 2014, 02:43:24 PM
Quote from: IanC on March 01, 2014, 11:06:12 AM
Steam was down officially. These links are invaluable for stress-free gaming & surfing:

http://www.issteamdown.com/

and

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/



Ha, those are great.  Thanks Ian!

You're welcome!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on March 13, 2014, 02:25:42 PM
Anybody able to login to Steam right now?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 13, 2014, 02:29:50 PM
I couldn't last night; the night before took several attempts. Not that I was really trying, just the client doing the normal check at system start.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on March 13, 2014, 02:40:07 PM
Thx Jason, just tried using the links IanC provided and both say it down.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Lord Zimoa on March 13, 2014, 02:48:49 PM
Panzer Corps demand crashed Steam, must be.... LOL
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on March 13, 2014, 02:50:10 PM
Both me and the missus have been trying to log onto Steam for the last hour with no success.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on March 13, 2014, 02:50:36 PM
Noticed it as well.
And just when I finally started setting my comp in my new home :(
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Anguille on March 13, 2014, 02:59:34 PM
Just wanted to install my first steam game...and now this  >:(
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 13, 2014, 03:07:30 PM
lol - down here too.

Oh well...Qvadriga it is!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on March 13, 2014, 03:08:48 PM
Sod it. I think I'll go and push some Hero's of the Blitzkrieg counters around.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: mikeck on March 13, 2014, 03:10:27 PM
 I'm a steam fan... I buy a lot of games from them. But I have to admit that site has been having a lot of problems lately and it's really starting to piss me off... I still should be able to play my games in steam off-line mode but if I want to download mods and stuff I can't...just annoying
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 13, 2014, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 13, 2014, 03:10:27 PM
I'm a steam fan... I buy a lot of games from them. But I have to admit that site has been having a lot of problems lately and it's really starting to piss me off... I still should be able to play my games in steam off-line mode but if I want to download mods and stuff I can't...just annoying

agree 100%  ... Not sure if Steam is just going through some weird rough patch with maintenance issues or perhaps hacker attacks (?), but it's becoming -- if not quite 'chronic' -- at least frequent enough that I've bookmarked sites like "Is Steam Down" and the like.  It's definitely a pain in the a$$. 

Love Steam to death, but I really hope these outages are not the 'new normal' for Steam service...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Anguille on March 13, 2014, 03:21:06 PM
I am sure it's Windows XP....Microsoft is right!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on March 13, 2014, 03:22:34 PM
It's up.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 13, 2014, 03:25:23 PM
Quote from: Anguille on March 13, 2014, 03:21:06 PM
I am sure it's Windows XP....Microsoft is right!

QFT.

(Actually, Anguille, I happened to notice we have the exact same number of posts... so i'm one-upping you   ;D )
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on March 13, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
For future outage info:

http://steamstat.us/

Not sure if there is a comparable site/info for the other side of the pond.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 13, 2014, 03:43:13 PM
Quote from: Tpek on March 13, 2014, 03:22:34 PM
It's up.


It's Down.


Login is again, anyway.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on March 13, 2014, 03:44:42 PM
Same for me, still can't login.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Anguille on March 13, 2014, 03:55:38 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on March 13, 2014, 03:25:23 PM
Quote from: Anguille on March 13, 2014, 03:21:06 PM
I am sure it's Windows XP....Microsoft is right!

QFT.

(Actually, Anguille, I happened to notice we have the exact same number of posts... so i'm one-upping you   ;D )

Oh my!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: mikeck on March 13, 2014, 04:20:06 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 13, 2014, 03:43:13 PM
Quote from: Tpek on March 13, 2014, 03:22:34 PM
It's up.


It's Down.


Login is again, anyway.

Are you able to play the games in off-line mode?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Staggerwing on March 13, 2014, 06:20:06 PM
Still can't log in...  :(
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on March 13, 2014, 06:21:53 PM
Mine seems ok...maybe regional?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Staggerwing on March 13, 2014, 06:23:00 PM
3rd try's a charm. Finally logged on.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 14, 2014, 07:46:05 AM
Quote from: Lord Zimoa on March 13, 2014, 02:48:49 PM
Panzer Corps demand crashed Steam, must be.... LOL

THIS!!  8)

But seriously, thanks for the Steam-check links, guys.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 14, 2014, 03:37:41 PM
Steam Cloud saving doesn't seem to be working properly for my FM2014 career.

Stinking thing has refused to upload my latest save for the last two days.  Fargin corksuckers!  >:(  The cloud save feature is one of Steam's few good features.  I'm hoping it's just been temporarily buggy like the logins.

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 14, 2014, 03:41:50 PM
Looks like we're in store for more Steam issues this weekend.   Looks like their forums took a nose dive:

Quote

Sorry!
An error was encountered while processing your request:

No forum available


Here's a link to the Steam Community home page.


You may wanna leave it logged in.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on March 14, 2014, 04:12:39 PM
^I've seen that today as well, when I'm logged in.  But the forums are accessible if you're not logged in (e.g., google a specific game forum) ???.  Not getting a warm fuzzy from Steam lately....
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on March 17, 2014, 02:57:24 PM
Not sure if its just local, but looks like Steam is down again.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: mikeck on March 17, 2014, 03:33:36 PM
It's up but slow... Here, use this:

http://steamstat.us

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on March 17, 2014, 03:43:00 PM
I'm back in again now, so maybe it was just a temporary blip.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Blucher on March 17, 2014, 04:16:05 PM
I also had a problem with steam tonight. The European servers were down for about 30 minutes.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 18, 2014, 07:21:52 AM
Fortunately, I haven't been using Steam at all the past few weeks! (For reasons currently mentioned in my sig.) But I noticed last night, somewhere between 8 and 8:30 central US time, when I turned on the computer it logged into Steam immediately and started dl-ing the latest patch-or-whatever for Space Hulk.

Once that finished I turned Steam off (as much as I could). Just in case.  ::) I'm not overly brimming with confidence in their ability to guard a backdoor into my computer right this moment...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 18, 2014, 10:38:22 AM
BTW... what the hell is up with the big Space Hulk patches lately?  I know they released a DLC but I've had 1.4GB and 850MB patches within a few days of each other.  Looks like they've been busy replacing many of the game files with new ones.  ???  Did it need that much patching?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on March 18, 2014, 02:05:38 PM
Steam's Login servers are down again   :-[
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 18, 2014, 03:40:49 PM
Is there a skinny on why Steam's servers have been so unreliable lately? 

I don't have a sense of whether this is just a bumpy patch or the way things are going to be, henceforward...   :-\
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 18, 2014, 06:36:21 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on March 18, 2014, 03:40:49 PM
Is there a skinny on why Steam's servers have been so unreliable lately? 

I don't have a sense of whether this is just a bumpy patch or the way things are going to be, henceforward...   :-\

My first guess is that their primetime server load has surpassed their hardware and/or bandwidth limits, and they're slow to spend on increasing them. 

There have been times in the past when they weren't doing so hot and it took awhile before they got ahead of it.  However, it wasn't such a regularity back then, only when popular stuff was on sale or a big seasonal sale was on.  Lately it's been happening regularly when US primetime starts up at the beginning of the evening.  ???
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: W8taminute on March 18, 2014, 06:42:39 PM
I've been noticing that sometimes the page for recent friend activities does not load at all during the evenings but loads fine during the morning hours.  Other than that thank goodness Steam has been ok during primetime for me.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 18, 2014, 06:49:47 PM
I think part of Steam's capacity problems are of their own creation. 

Let me explain...

Developers love to use Steam because they can just upload their updated files to the server without having to spend extra time packaging and sending them to various vendors.  Some don't even bother making changelogs.  What this promotes is quick & dirty patches with some, and they tend to update constantly as they go.

That may sound nice but it has resulted in a couple notable problems. 

One is having your save games getting jacked up regularly because Steam updates your game to a new version and breaks them. 

Another is the increased use of Steam's bandwidth for all these games that get constantly updated.  For example.. I've had Space Hulk update three times in under a week and each time it was nearly 1GB or more in size.  I guarantee many of the files patched this way were duplicated in each successive one - only updated.  So the past practice of holding onto and properly testing patches for awhile has declined in favor of quick patching via Steam and letting the customers test it.  Since they can just fix and re-upload the files whenever they want, it's become an ongoing beta patch process with many games.  This constant re-patching through Steam must be placing a lot more strain on their bandwidth and resources, causing issues and slowdowns like these recent ones.

Every day I log in to Steam there is at least two games that are updating, and often more than that.  That's on just one of my computers, and I have it installed on three.  Gotta be clogging their shiz up.  :P
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: mikeck on March 18, 2014, 07:53:24 PM
Two days ago I set steam to "offline" mode and have been happily playing ever since. Can't do that forever but it's a solution when the site is down and you want to play.

They better get their heads out of their rear ends and deal with whatever problem they are having...these shutdowns/slow downs are too frequent lately
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 18, 2014, 08:18:58 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 18, 2014, 06:36:21 PM

My first guess is that their primetime server load has surpassed their hardware and/or bandwidth limits, and they're slow to spend on increasing them. 

Seems a reasonable guess to me.  Can't imagine Steam wouldn't pony up the due to expand their server capacity, if that's the problem -- it's their lifeblood, after all. 
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 19, 2014, 06:09:50 PM
I'm getting hit with the inability to login now.  I wonder if they're busy fiddling with their console roll-out.  Seem like they've got almost a rolling blackout in practice these days.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on March 19, 2014, 06:12:17 PM
Same here.  Something definitely going on with Steam lately like a DDOS or some major hardware/software issues...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Asid on March 19, 2014, 06:17:17 PM
seems to be back up now.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 19, 2014, 07:17:07 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 19, 2014, 06:09:50 PM
I'm getting hit with the inability to login now.  I wonder if they're busy fiddling with their console roll-out.  Seem like they've got almost a rolling blackout in practice these days.

Judging by the post times when this happens nearly every day, it's right at the start of US primetime.  Like clockwork.

Everyone getting home and logging in Steam at the same time .. then downloading the plethora of patches.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 20, 2014, 07:27:31 AM
Around 5:00 pm central US time, I haven't had any trouble logging in the past few days, and that ought to be close to peak I'd think.

But of course my local servers might have been upgraded already or whatever. (I'm still staying off it for now so as to reduce the server load a little for other people.)
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Arctic Blast on March 20, 2014, 01:55:10 PM
Quote from: steve58 on March 19, 2014, 06:12:17 PM
Same here.  Something definitely going on with Steam lately like a DDOS or some major hardware/software issues...

There seems to be a spate of DDOS crap going on right now. One of the freelance writing sites I use got hit, and I've read about a number of other business sites being taken down as well. Steam and Origin were targeted a couple of weeks ago by the mobs of overgrown children.  >:(
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 20, 2014, 03:17:47 PM
ive seen this thread and thought 'huh, not much to do with me' having no access to pc for a few days but tonight - UK 20:00 steam is very sluggish, access to my games library is cool, but the sites a bit weird - you cant search the store, apparently CKII doesnt exist at all and the pages are sometimes blank
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on March 20, 2014, 03:39:51 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 20, 2014, 01:55:10 PM
Quote from: steve58 on March 19, 2014, 06:12:17 PM
Same here.  Something definitely going on with Steam lately like a DDOS or some major hardware/software issues...

There seems to be a spate of DDOS crap going on right now. One of the freelance writing sites I use got hit, and I've read about a number of other business sites being taken down as well. Steam and Origin were targeted a couple of weeks ago by the mobs of overgrown children.  >:(

It's not mobs.
A single guy is enough for just purchasing/renting/leasing a Bot-net for this.
It's a arsehole.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 20, 2014, 08:46:35 PM
Ugh.

If Steam were downloading updates any slower right now, it would be going in reverse.   

Primetime again.  Took a couple tries to get logged in.

I was debating picking up the Warlock 2 early access but at this d/l rate it would take a day to download.  I've yet to play Rome 2 to see if it's still crashing on my desktop.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JasonPratt on March 21, 2014, 07:31:39 AM
No login last night (central US around 6pm), not that I cared.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on March 24, 2014, 01:58:04 PM
Down yet again.  Can't login in.  Getting tiresome...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: RooksBailey on March 24, 2014, 02:21:09 PM
Quote from: steve58 on March 24, 2014, 01:58:04 PM
Down yet again.  Can't login in.  Getting tiresome...

I was just coming here to see if other people where having a problem.   ;D  Yup.  Me, too.  This time I can't get on at all.  Usually I just retry my connection and I am back in business, but now I am totally locked out.  Good thing I haven't been using Steam the last few weeks (been on a non-Steam Fallout 3 kick). 

Valve better get some more servers because this could cost them customers.  People are already suspicious of Steam DRM - this will just be more grist for the mill.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on March 25, 2014, 12:21:07 AM
Damn thing just died again while I was browsing the Workshop.

QuoteError Code: -118

Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet.

::)
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: SgtRock on March 25, 2014, 12:59:11 AM
Is the problem with Stream, maybe is Comcast or other ISP's? The way the internet works now, ISP's cap/limit bandwidth until some one pays them to stop!!! :(
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 25, 2014, 01:41:05 AM
WOW. Steam offline again.

Is this indications of the "dread" that a lot of people forecast many many moons ago?

Fair play it's up a damn site more than it's down - but when almost my entire game library is on Steam - it IS a pain when it's offline
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on March 25, 2014, 04:51:45 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on March 25, 2014, 12:59:11 AM
Is the problem with Stream, maybe is Comcast or other ISP's? The way the internet works now, ISP's cap/limit bandwidth until some one pays them to stop!!! :(

It's not ISPs.
It is actually Steam.
They've been acting wonky for a week now.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: sandman2575 on March 25, 2014, 08:53:00 AM
^well over a week now, unfortunately.  Seems like this has been going on for a month plus.

Y'all may want to bookmark these 2 sites, which tell you right away if Steam is down:

http://www.issteamdown.com/ (http://www.issteamdown.com/)

http://steamstat.us/ (http://steamstat.us/)
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 25, 2014, 08:56:36 AM
It would be nice if they stepped up and said something
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: MuzzyDev on March 25, 2014, 09:44:10 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 25, 2014, 08:56:36 AM
It would be nice if they stepped up and said something

If the site is down, where would they post it?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 25, 2014, 09:47:46 AM
I think he meant if they are having issues, they should be letting people know...as in not right now, but immediately after any of the plethora of times it's quite recently

I haven't seen a single announcement. I haven't looked - but I shouldn't really have to. With the problems they've been having, there should be a prominent message at the very least acknowledging it and probably letting people know the what the problems are and what's being done.

But - as we all know (I think)...they're customer relations *EDIT* are aren't *EDIT* superb. I've certainly had a couple of occasions where I've required assistance and they were slow and unhelpful - and that's me being polite!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on March 25, 2014, 10:01:48 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 25, 2014, 09:47:46 AM
I think he meant if they are having issues, they should be letting people know...as in not right now, but immediately after any of the plethora of times it's quite recently

I haven't seen a single announcement. I haven't looked - but I shouldn't really have to. With the problems they've been having, there should be a prominent message at the very least acknowledging it and probably letting people know the what the problems are and what's being done.

But - as we all know (I think)...they're customer relations are superb. I've certainly had a couple of occasions where I've required assistance and they were slow and unhelpful - and that's me being polite!

Slow and unhelpful? you are polite.
I've had worse than that. :P (worse than whatever you could have meant with that understatement)
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 25, 2014, 12:05:54 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 25, 2014, 09:47:46 AM
I think he meant if they are having issues, they should be letting people know...as in not right now, but immediately after any of the plethora of times it's quite recently

I haven't seen a single announcement. I haven't looked - but I shouldn't really have to. With the problems they've been having, there should be a prominent message at the very least acknowledging it and probably letting people know the what the problems are and what's being done.

But - as we all know (I think)...they're customer relations *EDIT* are aren't *EDIT* superb. I've certainly had a couple of occasions where I've required assistance and they were slow and unhelpful - and that's me being polite!

lol thanks JD, thats what i meant - just something on the store page, 'sorry about last night, we got hit by lightning' or whatever
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Martok on March 25, 2014, 01:47:49 PM
I was having issues with Steam yesterday as well.  I went to restart my computer, and then nada; I had to switch to offline mode. 

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: mirth on March 25, 2014, 06:25:56 PM
I just had a helluva time getting it to start. Did a restart, got the "not connected to the internet" BS. Finally got in on the fifth or sixth try.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Staggerwing on March 25, 2014, 07:03:55 PM
yesterday I had the hardest time connecting. Today, got it on the first try.  :-\
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tuna on March 25, 2014, 07:39:13 PM
Today tried to get in, because my son wanted me to buy him a CK2 DLC.. I couldn't.. so I went on the web page instead.. At the end of the transaction it said my credit card was denied... Then later I went into paypal and CC page and saw I was charged for the game. My son looked and he still didn't have it.. Then he logged in with my ID on his computer and it was in my inventory (even though the purchase was to gift directly to his ID)... Oh well.. he got his game.. but yeah, things are definitely very wacky in the Steam world these days and lack of Customer Service really sucks in that situation!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Boggit on March 25, 2014, 10:24:51 PM
Steam died on me on Sunday. I had to go in several times before it would update Rome 2 TW to v10. At least I got there in the end. BTW, has anyone tried out the latest patch? Is the game properly playable now, or still a buggy beta lookalike? ::)

I can't say I've ever been that impressed with Steam's support. I recall asking them what I thought was a straightforward question, and the answer - despite further clarification/expansion - appeared to indicate that they didn't really understand what was being asked of them. When we EVENTUALLY got there they didn't know the answer/or do anything helpful to resolve my query. In the end I had to go to SEGA direct to get a sensible reply. In that case, I felt Steam Support came across pretty ignorant, and unhelpful. Maybe they've contracted out their support to a support centre in a country where English was not a first language. You can't really blame the support person if that is the case, but it does raise questions about quality management. To be honest if I have a problem now it seems much better to check out answers on the forum, than struggle to get an answer with a support ticket.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on April 09, 2014, 02:36:07 PM
I'm getting a new problem with Steam now, or at least, new to me. I can load it ok, but as soon as I try and select anything, it freezes up and I get a message to say that 'Steam Client Bootstrapper' is not responding. I have no idea what that is, or how to fix it............
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Dolan50 on April 09, 2014, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: bob48 on April 09, 2014, 02:36:07 PM
I'm getting a new problem with Steam now, or at least, new to me. I can load it ok, but as soon as I try and select anything, it freezes up and I get a message to say that 'Steam Client Bootstrapper' is not responding. I have no idea what that is, or how to fix it............

This might help. I also get this problem with Steam every time Windows updates.
Some helpful ideas in the comments section also.


Sorry, I guess it would have helped if I gave the actual link :-[
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGCSKs1Z24
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on May 02, 2014, 12:15:28 PM
Steam Community is running like shit here today.

I guess the weekend started early.  ::)
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on May 02, 2014, 09:11:32 PM
Steam is hosed on a Friday night :-\
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on May 02, 2014, 09:53:03 PM
Was just getting ready to play some RO2/Rising Storm MP and **Fvck You Nef!**  >:(

I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Quote
United States     28 of 56 Servers Online
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Martok on May 03, 2014, 10:36:55 AM
It's times like this I'm glad I work an overnight job, and thus rarely have to worry about dealing with this crap. 

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JasonPratt on May 06, 2014, 08:50:23 AM
Apparently the new hotness involves just straight downloading Free-to-play games to people's accounts, whether they asked for them or not, since after all they're free so what harm could they do if they aren't very large.  >:(
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Martok on May 06, 2014, 10:42:22 AM
Incidentally, Steam was down for me this morning about 1 1/2 hours ago.  It appears to be up and running again now, however. 




Quote from: JasonPratt on May 06, 2014, 08:50:23 AM
Apparently the new hotness involves just straight downloading Free-to-play games to people's accounts, whether they asked for them or not, since after all they're free so what harm could they do if they aren't very large.  >:(
Oh, it's not new.  I generally have 1-2 "free" games in my library at any given time.  I just quickly learned how to ignore them; I honestly don't even notice them anymore. 

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JasonPratt on May 12, 2014, 08:33:31 AM
Is there a way to get them NOT TO DOWNLOAD!?

Not that doing so would help offset the huge server-lag inculcated when the servers send out free copies to everyone before a weekend (or whatever), but at least I'd have that much less updating to do while the lag is so slow.

Also, whatever happens to the game data when the free time runs out? Does it automatically delete off my drive?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Labbug on May 12, 2014, 10:25:55 AM
The free to play for a limited time just disappear after the time is up.  On the other hand, I have had "Spiral Knights" added to my library (I don't know how it got there).  It has been sitting there uninstalled for months.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 12, 2014, 11:06:13 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 12, 2014, 08:33:31 AM
Is there a way to get them NOT TO DOWNLOAD!?

Not that doing so would help offset the huge server-lag inculcated when the servers send out free copies to everyone before a weekend (or whatever), but at least I'd have that much less updating to do while the lag is so slow.

Also, whatever happens to the game data when the free time runs out? Does it automatically delete off my drive?

Temp-Free games are not automatically downloaded.
You have to manually install them.
As for what happens to them when the time's up, no idea :P
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on May 14, 2014, 08:13:27 PM
Anyone else having Steam trouble tonight?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 15, 2014, 11:40:55 AM
The Steam store is acting funny again...
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on May 15, 2014, 11:47:51 AM
.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 15, 2014, 11:50:13 AM
Back to normal behaviour.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 02:01:56 PM
Quote from: eyebiter on May 15, 2014, 11:47:51 AM
Last week of school for many US kids this week.  Expect steam will be slower until Valve adds capacity.

Good point.  Steam will probably be even busier for awhile.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on February 05, 2015, 02:15:23 PM
Seems like Steam is completely down again,
The website, store, login server, whole shabang.

They sure get hacked/DDoSed a lot.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: LongBlade on February 05, 2015, 02:20:11 PM
Quote from: Tpek on February 05, 2015, 02:15:23 PM
Seems like Steam is completely down again,
The website, store, login server, whole shabang.

They sure get hacked/DDoSed a lot.

That may explain why my Steam icon winked out by itself an hour or so ago. Wondered why it might do that.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on February 05, 2015, 02:26:01 PM
Site seems to be back up but the login server is still down.


EDIT: And the rest seems to be recovering...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Huw the Poo on February 05, 2015, 04:35:28 PM
It's been fine for me all evening.  Probably depends which geographical servers you connect to.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 05, 2015, 06:18:17 PM
Fine here
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on February 05, 2015, 07:05:54 PM
Yep, no problem so it looks like its a regional issue.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on February 06, 2015, 06:11:34 AM
By the time you posted your posts it was already fixed.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on February 06, 2015, 06:33:07 AM
LOL - its this international time zone thingie, innit.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on February 06, 2015, 05:42:40 PM
...currently down for me :tickedoff:  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:03:34 PM
Is it just me or is the Steam store buggy right now?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 25, 2015, 01:09:31 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:03:34 PM
Is it just me or is the Steam store buggy right now?

Mine seems ok, but I guess it depends on what you feel is buggy, if some certain function that I may not be using.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:10:44 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 25, 2015, 01:09:31 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:03:34 PM
Is it just me or is the Steam store buggy right now?

Mine seems ok, but I guess it depends on what you feel is buggy, if some certain function that I may not be using.

The webstore's template is there, but all the actual data isn't.
No games are displayed/being sold, clicking on any of the links there doesn't work, etc...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 25, 2015, 01:17:42 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:10:44 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 25, 2015, 01:09:31 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:03:34 PM
Is it just me or is the Steam store buggy right now?

Mine seems ok, but I guess it depends on what you feel is buggy, if some certain function that I may not be using.

The webstore's template is there, but all the actual data isn't.
No games are displayed/being sold, clicking on any of the links there doesn't work, etc...

Mine seems OK, I am using the Steam Client versus web page if that makes a difference...
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:21:53 PM
Seems to be broken on both for me :(
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Arctic Blast on May 25, 2015, 01:22:56 PM
Yeah, I'm getting the same right now. Usually things like this seem to work themselves out after a short period of time, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on May 25, 2015, 01:25:48 PM
^Either that or it's the End of Time.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tuna on May 25, 2015, 01:26:29 PM
I was on earlier trying to buy Beyond Earth for my Son, and couldn't get it to go through.. lol.. not that I was unhappy about that, I was trying to talk him into waiting till it's on sale again!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:33:17 PM
Quote from: Tuna on May 25, 2015, 01:26:29 PM
I was on earlier trying to buy Beyond Earth for my Son, and couldn't get it to go through.. lol.. not that I was unhappy about that, I was trying to talk him into waiting till it's on sale again!

It was on sale not long ago (less than a week).

My rule is that if a game goes on a sale, I won't buy it until it gets reduced to the same price again or lower.
And surprisingly enough, I've been able to stick to it :)
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: -budd- on May 25, 2015, 01:36:46 PM
There just getting steam ready for the summer sale starting Tuesday....O thats tomorrow....bring your will power ;)
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tuna on May 25, 2015, 01:40:42 PM
Yeah, I knew it was on sale a week ago, and i did know he was interested in it (so my bad). I enjoyed it the weekend it was free play and did plan on picking up myself at some point. That's the thing with the kids.. they buy lots of games at top dollar the second they come out or are available. lol. I grew up with parents that lived through the Great Depression, so always try to be patient and save!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 25, 2015, 01:45:53 PM
^LOL, that was sort of me until I ended up with such a humongous game collection on Steam as a backlist for playing, that I just had to grow up.

As for the good news, Steam seems to be sobering up.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tuna on May 25, 2015, 01:56:28 PM
Well if the summer sale starts tomorrow, I'll have to tell my son it's still not working for one more day, just in case! I have bought CIV games at opening day prices, because I love them that much, but this one does seem like just a Civ V expansion and not really worth 50!

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Huw the Poo on May 25, 2015, 02:31:06 PM
Quote from: Tuna on May 25, 2015, 01:26:29 PM
I was on earlier trying to buy Beyond Earth for my Son, and couldn't get it to go through.. lol.. not that I was unhappy about that, I was trying to talk him into waiting till it's on sale again!

I read that as Earth and Beyond for a minute and nearly had a heart attack! :D
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on May 25, 2015, 02:35:40 PM
The Steam summer sale begins tomorrow??
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Martok on May 25, 2015, 02:49:48 PM
AIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<runs screaming in terror>

Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: W8taminute on May 25, 2015, 04:03:06 PM
Glad I read this thread before making any purchases today.  I'l wait until tomorrow.  Let the games begin!!!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on May 25, 2015, 08:39:50 PM
Can't wait until I can get IL21946 - for like 5 dollah.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Staggerwing on May 25, 2015, 09:00:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 25, 2015, 08:39:50 PM
Can't wait until I can get IL21946 - for like 5 dollah.

Get it from GOG.com- DRM-free, baby!
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Freyland on May 25, 2015, 09:18:01 PM
Steam has their weeklong deals up.  They typically don't do that on top of a sale.  I suppose that doesn't eliminate it starting on Thursday, though.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on May 25, 2015, 09:21:41 PM
Ooh - thanks Wing. Didn't think IL2 was old enough to appear on GOG.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 26, 2015, 03:46:47 AM
What makes you think Steam's Summer sale begins today?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Staggerwing on May 26, 2015, 05:07:53 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 25, 2015, 09:21:41 PM
Ooh - thanks Wing. Didn't think IL2 was old enough to appear on GOG.

There's lots of good stuff on GOG. It's not all dossy pixels. I linked to GOG's IL2 page in your SWOTL thread a while back.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JudgeDredd on May 26, 2015, 05:43:36 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 26, 2015, 03:46:47 AM
What makes you think Steam's Summer sale begins today?
A big sign saying Summer Sale Started?  :2funny:
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on May 26, 2015, 06:47:56 AM
Can't find any such sign on Steam, or any special sales.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: JudgeDredd on May 26, 2015, 07:00:29 AM
There's nothing there - I was just saying - it is normally a big sign on the main page

Is budd on a wind up?
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 26, 2015, 07:25:50 AM
Nothing on Steam about a summer sale this morning. Just the same 'weeklong deal' ad.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tuna on May 26, 2015, 07:42:35 AM
Guess my son will be bugging me to buy Beyond Earth for 50 bucks tonight!  :P
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: steve58 on May 26, 2015, 08:40:05 AM
Based on the past several years with the Summer Sale starting well into June and even July, I'd be surprised if it started today....not upset mind you :P, just surprised.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on October 19, 2015, 07:27:34 AM
Steam's web store has been pretty much down for me for hours now.

Is anyone else having problems with it?

EDIT: Seems to be "up" again but still won't let me purchase anything.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on October 19, 2015, 07:38:53 AM
As of 9pm EST last night it was working fine for me.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Bison on October 19, 2015, 07:41:53 AM
Worked for me this morning.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on October 19, 2015, 07:52:55 AM
Just checked the Steam forum, and it seems other are having the problems as well.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Ian C on October 19, 2015, 07:53:42 AM
Bookmark these two links. They are invaluable.

https://www.issteamdown.com/
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on October 19, 2015, 07:54:38 AM
Checked:
https://steamstat.us/

Seems to indeed be down.
Not the web page, but the store servers.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on October 19, 2015, 09:18:14 AM
May be a regional thing again. I did get on OK but it was a little on the slow side.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on October 19, 2015, 09:52:51 AM
^Maybe.
I keep seeing reports of the various Steam servers being down.
The store is currently down, and the Discussion Boards on Steam are filled with people complaining.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on October 19, 2015, 09:59:55 AM
Quote from: bob48 on October 19, 2015, 09:18:14 AM
May be a regional thing again. I did get on OK but it was a little on the slow side.

It is.

There are numerous regional Steam servers.  Often, when someone can't access it, their specific regional server is down but other people can still get in since others are still up.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on October 19, 2015, 10:26:23 AM
Anyway, it's stabilized now.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 19, 2015, 10:30:41 AM
Their servers have been wank lately in my experience. Can't remember the last time they were able to saturate my connection for any length of time.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on October 19, 2015, 10:46:24 AM
Nah, haven't had my connection saturated for ages either............
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on October 19, 2015, 07:04:04 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 19, 2015, 10:46:24 AM
Nah, haven't had my connection saturated for ages either............

They sell lubricants for that.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: bob48 on October 20, 2015, 06:08:22 AM
I'm not buying anything off Star or Mirth.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: undercovergeek on October 20, 2015, 07:48:07 AM
Quote from: bob48 on October 20, 2015, 06:08:22 AM
I'm not buying anything off Star or Mirth again.

FTFY
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Gusington on October 20, 2015, 07:52:14 AM
They sell pretty good bright orange horsepills.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: undercovergeek on October 20, 2015, 07:57:10 AM
after painstakingly crossing out all the Rs and replacing them with Gs the boys told Bob his new Go-hipnol tablets were for his arthritis
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Tpek on October 20, 2015, 12:31:32 PM
Despite the servers being up, Steam is back to being wonky and not letting people purchase :P.

EDIT: Finally managed to get an order through.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Nefaro on October 20, 2015, 07:01:47 PM
Was acting a bit funky with me this evening, too.

Saying, "no connection" on occasion.
Title: Re: Steam Down?
Post by: Sir Slash on October 20, 2015, 10:45:32 PM
Same here.