Main Menu

Guild Wars 2

Started by Huw the Poo, September 01, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

Yeah Black Lion Chests suck.  All they contain is boosters, tonics and other consumable crap you'd find in the gem store.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on January 27, 2013, 12:33:24 PM
I find that there's little worthwhile to spend real money on the game aside from extra character slots and increased bank/inventory size (and these would only be useful to certain type of players anyway).

Exactly.  You'd think ANet would consider this to be a huge problem, unless the hardcore are spending huge amounts of money to make up for it - which I doubt.

Tpek

^ Don't forget that people would be upset had they turned it into a Pay 2 Win game.
And apparently, as Bethesda proved nearly 9 years ago, people are willing to shell out $s after $s for stupid cosmetic changes that they can even get for free. :P

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on January 27, 2013, 01:04:26 PM
^ Don't forget that people would be upset had they turned it into a Pay 2 Win game.

I'm not asking for pay to win, I'm just asking for the current offering to be much bigger, at least with regard to permanent stuff.  I wonder why mounts aren't in the game?  As long as they're disallowed in PvP they would hardly be a pay to win item, and good mounts would be perfect fodder for the gem store.

Tpek

Well, currently there are no mounts at all, which is odd for a modern MMORPG. But who knows,
Maybe they'll be added in an expansion.

Yskonyn

Just for the record. You can transfer the bought Armor skins to new Armor pieces by means of Transmutation Stones. So you dont loose your bought stuff.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on January 27, 2013, 01:04:26 PM
^ Don't forget that people would be upset had they turned it into a Pay 2 Win game.
And apparently, as Bethesda proved nearly 9 years ago, people are willing to shell out $s after $s for stupid cosmetic changes that they can even get for free. :P

Both very correct points.

I recall, specifically, that they promoted GW2 as having no Pay2win stuff in the cash shop. 

That's why you see them charging high prices for extra character slots and bank space - those are the only ones with practical uses in-game.  As we've seen in numerous MMOs before, there is a steady stream of income from people purchasing completely cosmetic outfits.  Some more than others.  I could be completely sexist and write that off as women practicing their shoe- or handbag-shopping habits inside an MMO (where female gamers are most prevalent regarding online multiplayer gaming) but I'm sure some dudes do it too.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 27, 2013, 07:53:12 PM
Just for the record. You can transfer the bought Armor skins to new Armor pieces by means of Transmutation Stones. So you dont loose your bought stuff.

Yeah, every time you upgrade your armour though.  Plus transmutation stones are also bought in the gem store aren't they?  I think I've only ever had one or two from personal story quests or something.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 28, 2013, 01:43:27 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 27, 2013, 07:53:12 PM
Just for the record. You can transfer the bought Armor skins to new Armor pieces by means of Transmutation Stones. So you dont loose your bought stuff.

Yeah, every time you upgrade your armour though.  Plus transmutation stones are also bought in the gem store aren't they?  I think I've only ever had one or two from personal story quests or something.

In the gemstore is one option, but IIRC they can also be bought on the AH, traded or found as loot.
The gemstore is just a shortcut. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Oh god I've been bitten again.  What is it about this damn game?  I even have altaholicitis; nothing wrong with the ranger I was levelling, but I have a sudden urge to start levelling a mesmer.

Here we go again!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 19, 2013, 03:35:15 AM
Oh god I've been bitten again.  What is it about this damn game?  I even have altaholicitis; nothing wrong with the ranger I was levelling, but I have a sudden urge to start levelling a mesmer.

Here we go again!

lol - its only a good thing though

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 19, 2013, 03:35:15 AM
Oh god I've been bitten again.  What is it about this damn game?  I even have altaholicitis; nothing wrong with the ranger I was levelling, but I have a sudden urge to start levelling a mesmer.

Here we go again!

I really want to get back into it. I just never had the time to play and then, by the time I did get some free time, other games distracted me. I have a backlog SO LARGE that it seems silly. But I might have to jump in and see what they have done since I last played.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

SgtRock

I must say this game has had me hooked for the last couple of months, even though I bought it back in October. I now have 96% map complete, 2 level 80 characters, completed crafting in 3 areas. I'm really enjoying the new dailies. I've have never felt the need to buy anything extra (gems/gold).  I just wish I could find a group or guild that would take dungeons nice and slow, they are just too much of a run-clickfest like (WvW or PvP).




Tpek

I really need to get back to this as well, and check up on our Grogheads guild :P

SgtRock

Grogheads guild?

What server?