Horizon - Turn-based galactic conquest

Started by Huw the Poo, April 11, 2013, 02:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

Website

Another one to look forward to, Grogs!  Looks good.  Not sure what the USP is, but who cares?  More turn-based 4X goodness to get hard about! 8)

Actually there is proper open-space travel, i.e. ships can go anywhere.  You don't see that very often these days.  Anyway...this one is definitely going on The List.  Oh, and it's published by Icerberg, a publisher I've always respected.  They're one of the few who don't require a goddamn proprietary client or forces Steamworks on you just to play your game.

Grimnirsson

QuoteDue to design choices favoring a single player experience, it would not have been possible to make a multiplayer mode without putting severe limits on many features such as advanced tactical combat and ancient powerful alien races.

I'm out then :(
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

^You know what they say about opinions?  People that demand multi-player in every game as the main draw really make me nervous.  I prefer a single-player experience in all of my games and almost never take advantage of any multi-player.  The trend of making EVERYTHING MP these days is very concerning to me.  I am reassured when a developer makes a game that focuses on the SP experience.  This is one to support and look out for.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

^ +1 on MP...I just can't get into MP and avoid it like the plague
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grimnirsson

Not all games do need a MP and I agree that there's a trend to tack a half-cooked MP on every game nowadays. But a space 4x game where you can mix AI and human players (like in Armada) is much more interesting than sitting alone in front of the PC and playing alone through a solitaire experience ;)
I like options and I don't buy the argument that this game is a better SP experience because they let out the MP part. And turn-based game is perfect for PbEM games so this actually sounds like waste of opportunities to me.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

FlickJax

I enjoy multiplayer on some games, but I too have concerns that single player is now becoming an after thought with a lot of developers :(

Anguille

been on my list for nearly 10 years  :o

Glad it's getting close to release  8)

Nefaro


Anguille

#8
Quote from: Nefaro on April 11, 2013, 07:11:56 AM
Quote from: Anguille on April 11, 2013, 07:02:02 AM
been on my list for nearly 10 years  :o

Seriously?  :o

Yes!  ;)

I found information on the game in 2003 i think. The old forum (number 2) is gone and so are my posts...but the registration date to the 2d forum is still there...2004.

Nefaro

10 years to near completion?  Makes you wonder how long it will take to iron out any post-release issues doesn't it?  :-[

Huw the Poo

I wonder whether a small studio like this one has the competence to produce a multiplayer experience with all of the requisite balancing and polish that needs to come with it.  It must be harder to make a multiplayer 4X than a single player 4X, I would've thought.

Not that I know anything at all about game programming!

Anguille

Quote from: Nefaro on April 11, 2013, 07:13:36 AM
10 years to near completion?  Makes you wonder how long it will take to iron out any post-release issues doesn't it?  :-[

They started on it and there was a long time during which it was on hold....they went back fully online only last year. I think Zaimat was alone for a while, working part-time on the game....looking good now.

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2013, 05:49:55 AM
^You know what they say about opinions?  People that demand multi-player in every game as the main draw really make me nervous.  I prefer a single-player experience in all of my games and almost never take advantage of any multi-player.  The trend of making EVERYTHING MP these days is very concerning to me.  I am reassured when a developer makes a game that focuses on the SP experience.  This is one to support and look out for.
I always demand multi-player! But only hot-seat. So I can play all of the sides all by myself.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

#13
Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 11, 2013, 02:56:30 AM
Website

Another one to look forward to, Grogs!  Looks good.  Not sure what the USP is, but who cares?  More turn-based 4X goodness to get hard about! 8)

Thanks for the heads up Huw.  I'll probably pick this one up when it comes out.  As for what "USP" is, I think it stands for Unique Selling Point, but I could be wrong, since whats on the list from Iceberg's announcement doesn't look so unique.  Seems like most 4x space strategy games claim some variant of what's on the USP list.

Here is a trailer video I found on Youtube from last July (so it may not still be representative of the game....)

p.s.  +1 for me as well as regards to not needing MP.  Don't have enough time to do SP as it is.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

Hehe Steve, you misunderstood me - I know what USP is, I was just wondering aloud what Horizon's specific USP might be!  Like yourself, I've concluded that there doesn't seem to be one. :)