Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Started by PanzersEast, May 22, 2013, 03:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MetalDog

Thanks, PE.  Paradox is probably my favorite game maker.  I've been a huge HOI 2 fan for years and they make my current favorite, Warlock.  I will say that they can make games that escape me.  Europa Universalis being a prime example.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

PanzersEast

Quote from: MetalDog on May 22, 2013, 10:33:42 PM
Thanks, PE.  Paradox is probably my favorite game maker.  I've been a huge HOI 2 fan for years and they make my current favorite, Warlock.  I will say that they can make games that escape me.  Europa Universalis being a prime example.

Vic II just takes some time learning.  I found that having played HOI series it was not too bad, although Vic II is the most complicated game that Paradox has put out...... but just like HOI, once you learn the mechanics of the game you are set.  Vic II is a simulator, there really is no right or wrong here, you will make mistakes even when you learn the game and that is where I like the game.  There are no set rules before you, you navigate your country through a time period where a lot of things were happening.... colonization , social and political reform, industrialization, and political tottering... which will probably lead to the first world war..... it is all there and I feel makes it very unique and where your decisions can have huge effects.... just have fun and watch it blow up ;-)

PE

Gusington

Ye of little faith, Dog. And BTW I have OCD not ADD. With Victoria II being based on my favorite historical era, I am willing to give it more time than I usually would.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Ten minutes STILL isn't going to do it ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

OK what is happening...I fired up Victoria II with Heart of Darkness and got this error twice while the game was doing 'map initialization':

File Exception: Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line 622. Description: the system cannot find the file specified.

Any suggestions? Remove and reinstall?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

#20
Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 11:09:11 PM
OK what is happening...I fired up Victoria II with Heart of Darkness and got this error twice while the game was doing 'map initialization':

File Exception: Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line 622. Description: the system cannot find the file specified.

Any suggestions? Remove and reinstall?

Try this...

Go to the game folder, and to the maps folder and empty the cache folder you find there.
\Steam\SteamApps\common\Victoria 2\map\cache

Then go to the Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\map\cache and delete any cache

Then start up the game 'manually' (not through steam) by double clicking on the v2game.exe file in the game dir. After the cache has been built up properly it now works fine in steam for me.

Nefaro

What PzE said.

The map cache in the Clausewitz games has to be deleted when changes are made to any files.  It's just some odd side effect of the Steam install (or SPIES!???).

Supposedly we don't have to do this anymore with CK2 or anything coming up.  They must've finally fixed the issue.  However - Vic 2, EU3, etc all have this bitchy attitude regarding the map cache.

Jarhead0331

I can't get Vic II with HoD to run either.  It worked fine until I got HoD. I'm not getting that map initialization error. It just doesn't load at all.  I get that start up box where you can check for updates, or select mods, and then when click on start game the window disappears and nothing happens. I've tried deleting the map cache and it has made no difference.

I have steam version. Does HoD require all prior dlcs to run?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


eyebiter

#23
"- If you installed the Steam version of HoD and the game won't start. Verify game cache to ensure you downloaded the expansion properly."

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?682942-Victoria-2-Heart-of-Darkness-Release-FAQ

Do you have Victoria 2, A House Divided, and Heart of Darkness?  Don't think it will run properly without AHD.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: eyebiter on May 23, 2013, 06:49:15 AM

Do you have Victoria 2, A House Divided, and Heart of Darkness?  Don't think it will run properly without AHD.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem.  I do not have a House Divided.  Damn it...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

^Yeah you need A House Divided.

Thanks for the above guys I will try now (off from work today).
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Viola! The above fixes worked :) Thank you guys.

So I see in the starting screen, there is a Grand Campaign selection and a House Divided selection. Features for Heart of Darkness are integrated into the main Grand Campaign?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

Quote from: Gusington on May 23, 2013, 08:21:54 AM
Viola! The above fixes worked :) Thank you guys.

So I see in the starting screen, there is a Grand Campaign selection and a House Divided selection. Features for Heart of Darkness are integrated into the main Grand Campaign?

Yes they are incorporated in both... it is the underlying mechanics of the game that has changed.... although I have only started with the Grand Campaign.

PE

Gusington

Cool. So if I wanted to play as a small Italian kingdom like Piedmont starting in 1861...I could do that?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

I believe you can play Sardinia Piedmont which is an secondary power and absolute monarchy....


PE