Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)

Started by steve58, March 15, 2013, 09:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

So far, for me, it's only seems really obvious during the early game. Less AI's attacking you or each other just because. I've read some discussion that his might be caused by the less coin available in the early game, causing the AI to not be able to build large armies.
Later in the game the wars pick up again as everyone gets more money making buildings/wonders and have many more trade routes.

bayonetbrant

So I played a few games this weekend as Shoshone, Venice, and Indonesia.

Barbarians are much more of a pain-in-the-ass.  So much so that I double-checked to make sure I didn't accidentally turn on "raging barbarians" in the settings.  They spawn quicker and attack in a more coordinated fashion (try to flank you, pursue on multiple axes instead of in a line) but seem to prefer to pillage improvements over attacking cities.

AI seems less aggresive in picking fights, but the change in negotiating GPT / lump sum seems to have the AI holding out for better financial deals than it would've in G+K or vanilla 5.  The AI also seems to build wonders quicker than it used to - or I'm just pissed b/c of all the near-misses I had w/ Venice :-\

Overall, I like the features of the new game.  I like the way that "great works" from writers / artists / musicians are tied to real-world works and tied to being 'housed' somewhere.  The indiv civ powers are pretty neat (especially the 3 I played a bunch this weekend).  Trade routes are an interesting dynamic, but while they can bring in some good gold early, you have to be careful to explore the range of trade options so you don't overcommit to building caravans and wind up w/ no one on the same continent worth trading with.  I haven't gotten far enough to hit the World Congress yet, but we'll see when it gets there how that works.

Venice is *hard* to play.  You have limits on wonder-building b/c you only have the one city.  Trade routes are paramount but you have to grab the write city-states to 'purchase' to get your trade routes in range of other cities worth trading with, while not over-extending so you have unsupportable annexations.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Kushan

I played for several hours Saturday night. For he first time since I've had Civ V I actually had the just one more turn feeling. I really like the natural wonders you find out in the world (was that in G+K?). Played as the Vikings. Things were going pretty good until I got over amibtion and declared war on Mogadishu. They were right next to Mount Kilimanjaro and i thought it would be easier to take them then to waste time building a settler. I wrong...... My few warriors and archers got cut down by their city range attacks. More my mistake then the AI being clever but it was still a shock since I haven't really played a Civ game since Civ IV.

Looking forward to the lack of sleep I can see this game causing. If anyone is up for some MP hit me up on Steam.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Kushan on July 15, 2013, 02:39:47 PMI really like the natural wonders you find out in the world (was that in G+K?).

that was in the vanilla 5, and enhanced with a combination of DLC adn some G+K content
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 01:55:37 PM
So I played a few games this weekend as Shoshone, Venice, and Indonesia.

Barbarians are much more of a pain-in-the-ass.  So much so that I double-checked to make sure I didn't accidentally turn on "raging barbarians" in the settings.  They spawn quicker and attack in a more coordinated fashion (try to flank you, pursue on multiple axes instead of in a line) but seem to prefer to pillage improvements over attacking cities.

AI seems less aggresive in picking fights, but the change in negotiating GPT / lump sum seems to have the AI holding out for better financial deals than it would've in G+K or vanilla 5.  The AI also seems to build wonders quicker than it used to - or I'm just pissed b/c of all the near-misses I had w/ Venice :-\

Overall, I like the features of the new game.  I like the way that "great works" from writers / artists / musicians are tied to real-world works and tied to being 'housed' somewhere.  The indiv civ powers are pretty neat (especially the 3 I played a bunch this weekend).  Trade routes are an interesting dynamic, but while they can bring in some good gold early, you have to be careful to explore the range of trade options so you don't overcommit to building caravans and wind up w/ no one on the same continent worth trading with.  I haven't gotten far enough to hit the World Congress yet, but we'll see when it gets there how that works.

Venice is *hard* to play.  You have limits on wonder-building b/c you only have the one city.  Trade routes are paramount but you have to grab the write city-states to 'purchase' to get your trade routes in range of other cities worth trading with, while not over-extending so you have unsupportable annexations.


One city???  Holy crap I couldn't play with only one city.... if I don't have 10 by the time I hit renassaince I feel naked
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

W8taminute

Does that mean that countries like Venice are restricted to one city only?  I remember in the old days of Civ that many used to brag about beating the game on Sid difficultly with only one city.  (OCC win) 'One city challenge'
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Yskonyn

You can buy cities as Venice if I am correct. Just not settle them.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: W8taminute on July 15, 2013, 03:51:26 PM
Does that mean that countries like Venice are restricted to one city only?  I remember in the old days of Civ that many used to brag about beating the game on Sid difficultly with only one city.  (OCC win) 'One city challenge'

You can 'purchase' city states that allow you to puppet them, and purchase things (bldgs / units) within them.  But you cannot control their production directly, and they cannot (as near as I can tell) produce any wonders for you.  You can't build Settlers as Venice, and any time you'd get a free settler for something, you instead get a "Merchant of Venice" that acts like a normal merchant, but also includes the ability to purchase/puppet that city state.

And that's the challenge - it's trying to get a solid block of city-states built where they are geo-located in a useful place (can reach a lot of other civs/cities with trade routes) but still mutually supportable should someone start attacking you.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

One neat trick I did pick up the other night, that would work with G+K or BNW:

If there's a naval chokepoint somewhere with an island in the middle of it, drop a general on it to create a citadel.  You'll really jack up any potential naval invasion plans, and may be able to completely close the chokepoint with the expansion of your borders - forcing someone to fight their way through if they really want through there.  Put a good ranged unit in the citadel and keep upgrading it to make sure you have a good extended range.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 04:06:24 PM
One neat trick I did pick up the other night, that would work with G+K or BNW:

If there's a naval chokepoint somewhere with an island in the middle of it, drop a general on it to create a citadel.  You'll really jack up any potential naval invasion plans, and may be able to completely close the chokepoint with the expansion of your borders - forcing someone to fight their way through if they really want through there.  Put a good ranged unit in the citadel and keep upgrading it to make sure you have a good extended range.

I very seldom rely on my navy for anything.... other than to give Starfury someone to shoot movies with.
*humour off*

A real life rock of gibraltar eh?... nasty tactic

BTW what map type do you like Bayo? I am using the fractal and its just seems to make two continents with the odd island... and it will put a wonder in the middle of the ocean (Krakatoa FTW)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Kushan

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: Kushan on July 15, 2013, 02:39:47 PMI really like the natural wonders you find out in the world (was that in G+K?).

that was in the vanilla 5, and enhanced with a combination of DLC adn some G+K content

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't play Civ V long enough to ever discover them. Which really says a lot since I'm actually looking forward to getting more play time.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Windigo on July 15, 2013, 04:16:19 PM
BTW what map type do you like Bayo? I am using the fractal and its just seems to make two continents with the odd island... and it will put a wonder in the middle of the ocean (Krakatoa FTW)

I tend to prefer small continents, but I'm not above stacking the deck in my own favor ;D

I'll play Arborea if I'm playing the Celts, and I set up my Indonesia game as an archipelago game.  But more often than not, I prefer small continents - keeps navies relevant but still room to play on land.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

In the Scramble for Africa scenario I have noticed that the AI is less aggressive. I will try on the next hardest setting next playthrough.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on July 15, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
In the Scramble for Africa scenario I have noticed that the AI is less aggressive. I will try on the next hardest setting next playthrough.

Prince/King setting is the recommended starting setting isn't it?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Barthheart on July 15, 2013, 01:13:35 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
Quick question: I am 50 turns in to my Scramble for Africa scenario as Morocco. Really good so far. But after turn ten the faction standing chart that was in the upper right hand corner of the screen disappeared. I don't think I shut it off, I think it went away on it's own. Anyone have any idea how to get it back?

If you figure this out let me know 'cause I want to get rid of it!


I believe you can turn this on and off in the options/game settings menu.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."