Six-Word Movie Reviews

Started by bayonetbrant, May 05, 2012, 10:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Steelgrave


mirth

The Godfather:

Michael Corleone is one badass mofo.

(watched again tonight. girlfriend had never seen it)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

republic

Phantom (2013 Submarine Movie):

Surprisingly good.  Recommended.  Ed Harris Rocks.

Martok

The Princess Bride

The best cult classic movie ever. 




Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2013, 08:55:05 PM
The Matrix Reloaded

Should've quit while they were ahead.
Ain't that the truth... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Quote from: republic on July 02, 2013, 07:06:20 AM
Phantom (2013 Submarine Movie):

Surprisingly good.  Recommended.  Ed Harris Rocks.

How the Hel do these movies get by me?!? Thanks, Republic.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

republic

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 02, 2013, 08:17:38 PM
How the Hel do these movies get by me?!? Thanks, Republic.

It went straight to DVD, but its actually quite good.  Its a dramatization of one of the popular suppositions as to the loss of the K-129.

bayonetbrant

Total Recall remake with Colin Farrell

Trying hard to be Blade Recall


Total Recall original w/ Arnie

Far, far cheesier than you remember.


After catching the new one on cable last weekend, I pulled up the original and watched it to compare.

The Mars bit (vs "devastated Earth") was more faithful to the original story, and the air-reactor storyline was a bit cooler than the new one's "rebellious colony" tripe, but the motivations aren't that important when the story is all about the chase and double-double-cross anyway.  But beyond that, I gotta say I liked the new one much, much better, and that's saying something w/ Colin Farrell in it.

I viewed it less through the lens of "remake of old Arnie flick" and more as "someone trying hard to make a Blade Runner sequel" and was much more satisfied.  I can remember the cheesy-fun sci-fi romp that was the original, with its over-the-top characters and effects, and I can more greatly appreciate the future-noir-on-steroids backdrop to the new one as an extension of Blade Runner's world, 100-odd years in the future.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Which one would PKD have approved of?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I thought the visual style of the new one was great but pretty much everything else about it sucked.  And in what world is having Kate Beckinsale slide vagina-first into your face considered an attack?

mirth

Those old Arnie sci-fi flicks like Total Recall and Running Man really are not good, but damn they were fun. They had some great moments and lines.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 17, 2013, 06:08:07 PM
And in what world is having Kate Beckinsale slide vagina-first into your face considered an attack?

QFT
Any time is a good time for pie.

GDS_Starfury

just watched Oblivion

entertaining and a visual joy.  FUN
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bayonetbrant

Desolation of Smaug:

Totally worth seeing it in 3D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

'Hansel and Gretel - Witch Hunters'

Wicked Witches Walloped With Weird Weapons.

Mrs.B and I enjoyed it.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 07, 2014, 12:54:57 PM
Desolation of Smaug:

Totally worth seeing it in 3D
Unless one is prone to migraines. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces