FRIDAY was the day that twas.....GAMING THREAD

Started by JudgeDredd, October 18, 2013, 05:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2013, 08:01:14 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 19, 2013, 03:51:02 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2013, 12:44:12 AM

I think there are some strong similarities in that it's a greatly simplified system with a fairly 'wash, rinse and repeat' turn structure. If you're looking for some kind of deep RPG experience, you aren't going to find it here. It isn't a dungeon crawl, but it is based almost entirely on one-shot encounters with the various cards you'll encounter at locations.

Yeah, it looks very much a card game.  That's not a bad thing in itself.

Absolutely. I have enjoyed my two plays of the game so far, and there is a bit of character development. Every time you successfully complete a scenario (there are 8 in the base box, and a new pack of 5 scenarios will come out bi-monthly along with new Items, Weapons, Monsters, etc.), you get to add cards to your character decks or add new abilities and the like. It's fun, but it's simple.

I picked up the base set.  The local store was out of the character expansion at the moment.  I can see the draw to it, being a pretty straightforward card game but still having some rpg-style continuity between games. 

I also grabbed Runewars while I was there.  Had been wanting a new fantasy strategy tabletop and I wasn't all that impressed with Kemet's gameplay regarding battles & armies, when I picked it up a few months ago. The latter ended up being quite skewed toward the offense and I was further surprised by the low army limits.  As if it didn't have a fully-realized conquest side.  :-[  Runewars, on the other hand, looks pretty bitchin' as far as empire/conquest strategy goes.

bayonetbrant

It almost sounds like the Pathfinder card game is a tabletop version of CardHunter...?


As to RuneWars - I know a few guys who LOVE it, but with the caveat that they have yet to play a game under 4 hours long.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Am I too late to join in on this thread?  If not...wow, have been enjoying Scourge of War: Gettysburg 150 + the Antietam expansion all weekend long.  Now most of you know me as the boardgame retro geek that doesn't venture much in to PC gaming these days (aside from the occassional CMx1 pbem game) but this one has me itching for more.  Yes, I'm sure that all of you are played out on this one since it's a couple of years old but I'm just now joining the party!  The PC game is very much like The Gamer's Regimental Sub-Series or The Gamers Civil War Brigade Series of games but on the PC and that just rocks my boat as I love those boardgames.  This is the first PC game since...crap, I don't know when...that I've had that "just play another little scenario" type passion about.  Fun stuff.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

undercovergeek

Quote from: GJK on October 20, 2013, 09:29:52 AM
Am I too late to join in on this thread?  If not...wow, have been enjoying Scourge of War: Gettysburg 150 + the Antietam expansion all weekend long.  Now most of you know me as the boardgame retro geek that doesn't venture much in to PC gaming these days (aside from the occassional CMx1 pbem game) but this one has me itching for more.  Yes, I'm sure that all of you are played out on this one since it's a couple of years old but I'm just now joining the party!  The PC game is very much like The Gamer's Regimental Sub-Series or The Gamers Civil War Brigade Series of games but on the PC and that just rocks my boat as I love those boardgames.  This is the first PC game since...crap, I don't know when...that I've had that "just play another little scenario" type passion about.  Fun stuff.

Lol welcome to computer games GJK.... glad you found one that scratches an itch.. It's great when that happens

Tuna

QuoteAm I too late to join in on this thread?

Heck no!.. Here on Grogheads, all weekend is Friday!!!

Huw the Poo

I've been playing Scarlet Blade, which is one of those "adult" MMOs for which you see seedy adverts all over the internet. :D

Toonces

Agreed, the Scourge of War series is spectacular.  Very fun gaming!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on October 20, 2013, 03:12:53 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2013, 08:01:14 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 19, 2013, 03:51:02 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2013, 12:44:12 AM

I think there are some strong similarities in that it's a greatly simplified system with a fairly 'wash, rinse and repeat' turn structure. If you're looking for some kind of deep RPG experience, you aren't going to find it here. It isn't a dungeon crawl, but it is based almost entirely on one-shot encounters with the various cards you'll encounter at locations.

Yeah, it looks very much a card game.  That's not a bad thing in itself.

Absolutely. I have enjoyed my two plays of the game so far, and there is a bit of character development. Every time you successfully complete a scenario (there are 8 in the base box, and a new pack of 5 scenarios will come out bi-monthly along with new Items, Weapons, Monsters, etc.), you get to add cards to your character decks or add new abilities and the like. It's fun, but it's simple.

I picked up the base set.  The local store was out of the character expansion at the moment.  I can see the draw to it, being a pretty straightforward card game but still having some rpg-style continuity between games. 

I also grabbed Runewars while I was there.  Had been wanting a new fantasy strategy tabletop and I wasn't all that impressed with Kemet's gameplay regarding battles & armies, when I picked it up a few months ago. The latter ended up being quite skewed toward the offense and I was further surprised by the low army limits.  As if it didn't have a fully-realized conquest side.  :-[  Runewars, on the other hand, looks pretty bitchin' as far as empire/conquest strategy goes.

I actually like both of those. Kemet is great simply because it's a simple tactical game with level-up abilities and the like that can be played in an hour with 5 players. The 'score points by winning on offense' keeps everyone from turning in to turtling b*tches the same way that the system worked in Nexus Ops, and I kinda dig that.  ;D

Runewars is an excellent game, and it's definitely more of a conquer territory type of game. But it can take awhile to play, even through turn-to-turn options are a bit limited. It suffers from the same issue that TI3 can, where if players take their eyes off the goal and just start smacking each other around, the game can really draaaaaaaaag.

Nefaro

#68
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 20, 2013, 06:27:10 AM
It almost sounds like the Pathfinder card game is a tabletop version of CardHunter...?

That is exactly what it reminded me of when I played it earlier.  Very much like Card Hunter although there's no tactical board.  The card play still makes for some tough decisions.  :D   I can see why so many people were gushing about it, because it's fairly quick to play but still challenging and filled with enough situational variety to keep it interesting throughout a session.

Quote
As to RuneWars - I know a few guys who LOVE it, but with the caveat that they have yet to play a game under 4 hours long.

After reading about halfway through the rules, I'm not surprised.  It's one of the more detailed fantasy strategy boardgames I've seen but that's why I wanted it.   It may not get as much playtime on my table compared to some other faster playing ones, but it looks to be an enjoyably epic time when we have it.   For some reason, it vaguely reminds me of a more complicated version of Shogun (the old MB sister of Axis & Allies).

Anguille

Finished my MOO game with a diplomatic victory...against the Alkari (my stupid diplomat tried to kill their emperor a few turns before the elections) and the Bulrathi (the other candidate)!

spelk

Been dabbling back in time with my favourite RTS'es ever, Kohan: Immortal Souls. Its a crime that Timegate Studios delivered some high quality games, and now they are no more.

Also, some Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm - coupled with reading the book Red Thrust.

And a bit of Resident Evil 6 co-op, where zombie/mutants fly attack helicopters!

Lastly, trying to get my head around Phantom Leader on iPad.

bayonetbrant

OK, so I set up A Distant Plain to start monkeying around with it a bit, and (re)learning the mechanics, but honestly spent more of the weekend playing a Civ V BNW game as Indonesia.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Dimitris

Command: Modern Operations
https://command.matrixgames.com/

Martok

I ended up playing mostly Distant Worlds and a little Baldur's Gate.  Thus far, I would agree with OJsDad that playing the former with more expensive research seems to improve the experience. 




Quote from: Anguille on October 21, 2013, 04:11:08 AM
Finished my MOO game with a diplomatic victory...against the Alkari (my stupid diplomat tried to kill their emperor a few turns before the elections) and the Bulrathi (the other candidate)!
Congrats, Anguille!  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on October 21, 2013, 10:26:54 AM

Quote from: Anguille on October 21, 2013, 04:11:08 AM
Finished my MOO game with a diplomatic victory...against the Alkari (my stupid diplomat tried to kill their emperor a few turns before the elections) and the Bulrathi (the other candidate)!
Congrats, Anguille!  :)

Thanks! ;)