Hunting - Crossbows

Started by Windigo, October 24, 2013, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've done bow hunting but not crossbow hunting.  Only advice I have is do NOT skimp on the bolt heads.  Get as powerful a crossbow as you can reliably cock and then gets some razor-sharp broad-heads.  I'd go with carbon fibre blades with a heavy steel tip.  You're going to want something with enough mass at the point to burrow deep in and strong enough blades that will do some damage to the organs and not warp or deflect off bone or dense tissue.  Trust me, chasing through the woods after a deer that didn't drop cleanly sucks all kinds of balls. 

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on October 24, 2013, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 24, 2013, 05:34:08 PM
Quote from: Windigo on October 24, 2013, 02:05:26 PM
Hunting supports habitat... dollars to supermarket chains supports what exactly?

The people who work there and the people who shop there.




I'm not following you. Are you agreeing? Disagreeing? Joking?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

He's doing what we all do here:  Thread-derailing! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on October 24, 2013, 08:09:19 PM
He's doing what we all do here:  Thread-derailing!

Well, why didn't you say so?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on October 24, 2013, 07:44:58 PM
Quote from: Windigo on October 24, 2013, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 24, 2013, 05:34:08 PM
Quote from: Windigo on October 24, 2013, 02:05:26 PM
Hunting supports habitat... dollars to supermarket chains supports what exactly?

The people who work there and the people who shop there.




I'm not following you. Are you agreeing? Disagreeing? Joking?

well you got me good with the response to the sorta rhetorical question I asked... you came at it from the employment/taxes angle... a good 3 pt. shot. So as martok indicated ... I segued with a meme that covered both supermarket shopping and hunting ala top of the food chain.


:-[
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Dolan50 on October 24, 2013, 01:44:31 PM
if you only wound the animal and spend the rest of the day chasing it down trying to put it out of its misery.
That is,unless you enjoy that sort of thing....

he calls it Friday night at the bar.  ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

heres an idea...

go hunting with your agw debate and kill the animals with bordom.  :)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 27, 2013, 08:08:03 PM
heres an idea...

go hunting with your agw debate and kill the animals with bordom.  :)

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jarhead0331

Anyone who truly thinks Americans are roaming around the forest hunting with "MGs" has his head up his ass.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Mr. Bigglesworth

It's not manly unless you use something like a bowie knife.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Windigo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 27, 2013, 08:28:36 PM
Anyone who truly thinks Americans are roaming around the forest hunting with "MGs" has his head up his ass.

I was wondering when someone would 'correct' the oft held and fallacious view that euros have of American hunters.

Glad you made it....

By the way... hows the sweetest little baby girl in the world?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Get a nice camera, take the animal's picture, then pick up chinese food on the way home.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

venison doest taste very good on photo paper.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Windigo

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 27, 2013, 08:33:23 PM
Get a nice camera, take the animal's picture, then pick up chinese food on the way home.

geeze all I want to do is shoot some frikken Ruffed Grouse and some Sharp tailed grouse without the hassle of getting a damn gun permit.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.