Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

lol. So now I was able to set the weapons...but I can dock. Before I got the joystick "working", I was using the mouse and double clicking the target icon to select Dock...but now I can't double click...and when I do, the menu briefly comes up and then disappears!

For the LOVE of small furry animals!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mikeck

Just out it aside for a few days until it gets patched I know a lot of people are saying that menus are disappearing I haven't experienced it but I've seen plenty of post about it so I'm sure it will happen eventually.  I'm having fun with it and I certainly - as with Rome 2- don't think it's as horrible as many of the people posting. I do however,  think it does have its issues and it does seem like they didn't do enough beta testing on it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 16, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
I just hit what I believe is my first game stopping bug. Most of what you need to do in terms of navigation, trading, ship management, etc. is handled through a screen that pops up to your right on the bridge of the Albion Skunk...well, the screen is refusing to pop up for me now. I can't access galaxy, sector or system maps, can't check on mission status and can't accept trade deals.  I exited and reloaded, but that did not seem to solve the problem.  I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows.  I'm playing the campaign and I'm at the point where I just delivered a defense officer to my freighter.

RPS reported something like this. I don't know if it is exactly this bug, but something similar.

I'm a bit let down by what I'm hearing. I was very excited for this release.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 16, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
I just hit what I believe is my first game stopping bug. Most of what you need to do in terms of navigation, trading, ship management, etc. is handled through a screen that pops up to your right on the bridge of the Albion Skunk...well, the screen is refusing to pop up for me now. I can't access galaxy, sector or system maps, can't check on mission status and can't accept trade deals.  I exited and reloaded, but that did not seem to solve the problem.  I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows.  I'm playing the campaign and I'm at the point where I just delivered a defense officer to my freighter.

From egosoft post above:

"- There seems to be a bug with menus remaining open sometimes. If you end up with a non working menu, please see if changing the screen resolution or AA settings (ESC - settings - graphic settings) helps to make the menus work again. You can undo those changes after it works again. If this happens repeatedly please email information on how you reproduce this to info@egosoft.com"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

panzerde

I suspect I'm one of the more forgiving players when it comes to UI, graphics, and even gameplay issues with a new game.  I also really, really adore space games and have been really looking forward to Rebirth.  I was aware of the "one ship" design decision and even ok with it. 

I'm not really impressed with what we've ended up with.

Graphically, it almost looks cel-shaded.  I think it's also way, way too busy.  Getting on to stations is tedious, the environments are unattractive, and the character models are just plain scary.  I keep thinking I'm in a zombie killing sim. I can't believe part of a space sim is walking around generic stations and looking for boxes to loot.  Really?  And you want me to crawl through vents, too?

I'm also really put off by the maps and a UI clearly designed for a gamepad.  I don't have a gamepad, I play PC games because I don't want a gamepad, and if the game requires a gamepad that screams "console port" to me, which always, always suck.

Props to them for trying to simplify the game for a broader audience.  It needed to be done; even as a X-series fan I admit I bounced off of AP.  I'm sure Egosoft will fix a lot of the technical bugs.  I'm not sure they can fix some of the design decisions that are kind of killing this for me.  I want to captain a starship and explore space.  I don't want a racing game and I don't want to loot chests.  If I'm going to loot chests, I'll load up Skyrim.

Their treatment of drones seems like it might be really great, though.  It could be their the first sim I've ever played to get that "right."  I've never understood how a space sim wouldn't use ROVs at least as well as current technology; ES seems to have figured that out.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

I prefer the graphics in x3 a bit more in regards to how things looked. That said, I really like rebirth. I can fly around the stations and I actually feel like I am flying a space ship as opposed to just moving from one point to the next. It is crowded but I like that, it feels "alive" to me. I also like getting out and walking around space ports. I imagine it will get tedious but for now, it is immersive. I like being able to get out of my ship and walk around. In x3, the act that I was stuck in my seat kind of killed immersion.

The game has bugs for sure, but I definitely like the design of rebirth better. As for maps, they are not anywhere near as intuitive and functional as before. But I do like how they pop up on your side screen..again, immersion..and I'm sure the functionality wil be fixed by modders.

They are going to have to polish this up with joystick control, menus disappearing and stuff like that; all in all though, I find this game very immersive and I kind of dig the "Blade runner" look to stuff
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

I was going to pre-order this the day before release, but the discount I was going to use expired so ended up being really no reason to purchase ahead of time.  As I was looking around at the game, really seemed there wasn't a ton of information available, besides some limited trailers that didn't really show much besides the graphics.  Typically you would be seeing some official previews and after release you would see reviews, but haven't seen those either.  The lack of information concerned me so that was another reason I held off.

It's a shame that it seems it might not have lived up to full expectations but hopefully over time it can improve.  Might be a good pickup for me during the holiday sale if things get better:)

PanzersEast

#157
The game has grown on me.... I am enjoying it.  Sure, there is room for improvement... but given Egosoft's and the mod community's reputation, I have no doubt there will be no limit.  The foundation is there to build upon and I am enjoying the game as is, some very good innovation with some steps backward... but overall I am enjoying it and look forward to the future.

@ mikeck

Thought the same thing, immersive with the Bladerunner edge to it.

PE

mikeck

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 16, 2013, 03:24:59 PM
I was going to pre-order this the day before release, but the discount I was going to use expired so ended up being really no reason to purchase ahead of time.  As I was looking around at the game, really seemed there wasn't a ton of information available, besides some limited trailers that didn't really show much besides the graphics.  Typically you would be seeing some official previews and after release you would see reviews, but haven't seen those either.  The lack of information concerned me so that was another reason I held off.

It's a shame that it seems it might not have lived up to full expectations but hopefully over time it can improve.  Might be a good pickup for me during the holiday sale if things get better:)


I've come to the realization that almost every AAA title released will have multiple bugs and issues with it and will be relatively unfinished. I don't like it but that's just the way it seems to be.so when I purchased the game I purchase it knowing what I'm probably getting and if it turns out like CK2 for you for then I get a pleasant surprise
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on November 16, 2013, 04:06:55 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 16, 2013, 03:24:59 PM
I was going to pre-order this the day before release, but the discount I was going to use expired so ended up being really no reason to purchase ahead of time.  As I was looking around at the game, really seemed there wasn't a ton of information available, besides some limited trailers that didn't really show much besides the graphics.  Typically you would be seeing some official previews and after release you would see reviews, but haven't seen those either.  The lack of information concerned me so that was another reason I held off.

It's a shame that it seems it might not have lived up to full expectations but hopefully over time it can improve.  Might be a good pickup for me during the holiday sale if things get better:)


I've come to the realization that almost every AAA title released will have multiple bugs and issues with it and will be relatively unfinished. I don't like it but that's just the way it seems to be.so when I purchased the game I purchase it knowing what I'm probably getting and if it turns out like CK2 for you for then I get a pleasant surprise

To be honest, I am not as concerned with the issues unless showstopping, for me I still don't have a real grasp as to what this game is all about and whether it really is FUN to play.  Typically in previews/reviews/videos I would get a better handle on things.  I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure...

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on November 16, 2013, 03:13:38 PM
I prefer the graphics in x3 a bit more in regards to how things looked. That said, I really like rebirth. I can fly around the stations and I actually feel like I am flying a space ship as opposed to just moving from one point to the next. It is crowded but I like that, it feels "alive" to me. I also like getting out and walking around space ports. I imagine it will get tedious but for now, it is immersive. I like being able to get out of my ship and walk around. In x3, the act that I was stuck in my seat kind of killed immersion.

The game has bugs for sure, but I definitely like the design of rebirth better. As for maps, they are not anywhere near as intuitive and functional as before. But I do like how they pop up on your side screen..again, immersion..and I'm sure the functionality wil be fixed by modders.

They are going to have to polish this up with joystick control, menus disappearing and stuff like that; all in all though, I find this game very immersive and I kind of dig the "Blade runner" look to stuff
I agree with pretty much all of this. There's stuff to like and stuff to dislike. Unfortunately the problems with my controller/keyboard issues have prevented me from perhaps enjoying it as much as I should.

The graphics, for me, are defo a step down and mainly for two reasons, they look blurry (with the exception of being up close I think and the textures look low res. (on my system at least)

Now you mention it, I do see the "Bladerunner" thing there. I like it, but it needs some attention. I also like the maps popping up at the side - I just wish they had better res or use the sector maps from X3 - which were bland but functional, non confusing and crisp (again with the crisp)...and I like the cockpit...feels like your flying a spaceship and not floating around in space.

If I can work out the damned controls perhaps I'll get some play time and be able to "feel" the game more...but when you start off frustrated it tarnishes your initial thoughts.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

PanzersEast

@JudgeDredd

What are you having uses with your controls?

PE

JudgeDredd

I think I'm just confused.

I had issues with the joystick so used the mouse...not ideal but worked. Now, using the joystick, the mouse cursor disappears and I can't use it in game or in menus. Then there's docking now. I get to a place to dock and I double click it with the mouse and it temporarily shows me the DOCK menu option - but then disappears before I can click on it with the mouse....I've tried buttons on my joystick to activate the docking icon so it brings the menu to DOCK up - but I can't. Nothing on my joystick brings up the DOCK menu option.

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

republic

Despite everything I've read negative...I still find myself wanting to buy it.  I only have about $100 set aside for gaming until the end of the year.  I'm hoping ARMA 3 will go on sale during the black friday sales, and I plan to get the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass...

mikeck

#164
I'm having a blast just flying around. I am playing sandbox and you start with 100,000 credits. I want to start trading but I'm still figuring out how to do that. The UI is not bad...but it ain't know improvement. For example: how do I get info about my own ship? How much stuff I have, weapons, etc

Anyway, got in a fight with a pirate...head to head I fired a missle which was apparently guided as it shot up and then dive down on him. The explosion was cool enough, but what was bad-ass was the smoke and debrief cloud I flew threw after.

I haven't had the disappearing menus yet but I suspect I will eventually.

I love the highway system. Jump in and haul ass. Little details are cool. When you approach a sector there are highway signs showing what types of things are at that exit.Lol...like out highways with the signs showing gas stations and mcdonalds and such.

I'm glad I bought it..warts and all. I can't say that it is more or less complex than x3 cause I don't know what I'm doing. For me at least, rebirth is far more immersive

Edit: JARHEAD, I had the disappearing glass menu happen. I changed the AA from 2 to 4, restarted, and it was back...them just changed AA again.

Edit: if I hear "Show me your wares please" one more time, I'm gonna pass out

Edit: it appears like you only have to enter the stations to trade small items. Trading in the traditional wares like energy cells, ore, silicon, etc are done outside the station by clicking on one of the "offers" icons on the outside of the station. If you have a big trade ship, smaller ships will fly around loading your ship with the wares you purchased...pretty kewl
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson