Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bboyer66

 First impressions

Its butt ugly. Actually went through the graphics settings thinking I was missing something. Is Anisotropic filtering greyed out for everyone else?  Booted up X-3 Terran Conflict and yes it looks 100 times better than X Rebirth.
Think I am getting good FPS, but I should considering how ugly it looks.


Jarhead0331

Quote from: bboyer66 on November 16, 2013, 09:41:26 PM
First impressions

Its butt ugly. Actually went through the graphics settings thinking I was missing something. Is Anisotropic filtering greyed out for everyone else?  Booted up X-3 Terran Conflict and yes it looks 100 times better than X Rebirth.
Think I am getting good FPS, but I should considering how ugly it looks.

Sounds like your computer sucks.  :P  AA isn't greyed out on my end.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bboyer66

AA (Anti Aliasaing) I am running max at 8x

Anisotropic filtering is greyed out and wont let me select anything which is weird.

mikeck

antiscopic is greyed out for me. "butt ugly"??? C'mon ...may not be as sharp as x3 but I wouldn't call them butt ugly. In many ways the graphics in rebirth are better...ship movement animations (NPC) are more fluid, particle effects are better, weapon effects are better, etc. I liked x3 graphics better but then again, you couldn't fly between parts of stations and target individual subsystems on those ships either.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

AF greyed out here too.

In case it's relevant, I have an AMD HD7960
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

republic

Well in a 4am coffee induced moment of weakness...I went ahead and bought it and am downloading now.  :)

JudgeDredd

It isn't all bad. The X Series always has teething issues.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Yskonyn

I was a little worried after reading the reports on this, but I had time to install and play for about an hour and a half today.
I must say I am pretty positive about the game in general.

The thing that immediately struck me was the immersion. The sectors are busy with all kinds of ships doing their business.
Police vessels scanning ships, taking down criminals, cargo vessels loading and unloading, etc.
The big structures with the Neon signs indeed have something Bladerunner-esque, which I like very much.

I find the graphics pretty good. I prefer them over those of the previous game because those had little colour. It was all huge metal industrial complexes and the ships only had some subdued coloring.
In Rebirth everything is much more colourful.
I do agree that the graphics are more blurry, but this might have to do with the unavailability of AF and I suspect the AA is not very optimized.
Perhaps forcing a setting on your graphics card driver suite will make things better.

Character models are indeed awful. Hopefully modders will be able to update those.
I disagree with the claim that walking in stations should have been left out. I find it does add to the immersion and feeling you are actually a captain of a ship.
The locations are repetative, but I am glad they are in.

Sound is pretty good. Effects are crisp and there are lots of ambient sounds. The music is great too I find.

Its too early to comment on the inner workings of the game yet , but performance is acceptable and the game is much less a dissapointment so far than I had expected from reading the various forums.
Looking forward to spending more time!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

I've now started a free play after going through most of the campaign..... so far I've been smuggling and saving up some cash.  I am working on purchasing my first cargo vessel and then I hope a station.  I've had a lot of fun just exploring and picking up odd jobs here and there while trying to increase my reputation where I can.  One thing I am going to mod myself is "Show me your wares please" ..... I don't talk like that and if I did they would mug me on the way back to my ship.....  Have a couple of drones to protect and scan.....  still enjoying at this point, a lot to discover and have found one stations changed enough that it has not bothered me or killed the immersion.



PE

panzerde

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 17, 2013, 11:05:43 AM
I've now started a free play after going through most of the campaign..... so far I've been smuggling and saving up some cash.  I am working on purchasing my first cargo vessel and then I hope a station.  I've had a lot of fun just exploring and picking up odd jobs here and there while trying to increase my reputation where I can.  One thing I am going to mod myself is "Show me your wares please" ..... I don't talk like that and if I did they would mug me on the way back to my ship.....  Have a couple of drones to protect and scan.....  still enjoying at this point, a lot to discover and have found one stations changed enough that it has not bothered me or killed the immersion.

How is the cap ship AI working?  That's the main concern I have at this point.  I get (and can agree with) a decision to abandon all the micromanagement of your fleet by assigning officers and letting them do their thing.  What I've read is that it mostly isn't working...but I'm also wondering if that's an artifact of people hell-bent on playing this like it's X3.

I'm not a big fan of the mini-games, but other than that see a lot of potential in this.  It isn't X4, but it has a measure of fun to it.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Jarhead0331

A major bug in the ship AI seems to exist that rears its ugly head in the campaign.  If the player loads too many trips (ie. 3), the AI vessel seems to get confused and winds up sitting around doing nothing.  When this happens the campaign mission cannot be completed.  The fix for me was to open the save file and delete the 3 trips from the ship/trade section of the file.  Once I did this, I jumped back into the game and was able to complete the transaction and move on with the campaign. 

Still, a giant pain in the butt.  I understand they are working on a "cancel mission" option for the menu system.

Anyway, just posting this here in case anyone else gets stuck. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

My solution at this point was to skip the amosite and go right for sandbox

JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?

I find this game MUCH more immersive and "fun" than x3. I actually feel like I am flying around space rather than from one point to another.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on November 17, 2013, 12:29:08 PM

JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?

No.  Unfortunately, I had to go back to an older save.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Toonces

I was reading a thread on this game over at SimHQ and they seem to be enjoying Rebirth well enough as well.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

These thins tend to snowball. You get a game released with a lot of bugs and people get justifiably annoyed. Eventually people believe that every time something doesn't happen how they think it should, it's the result of a bug and start screaming.

One guy over at egosoft was screaming that there were only 4 sectors in the game with 3 races. Eventually someone pointed out that he was in a linear campaign and the other areas had not opened up to him. He had jut assumed that egosoft screed everyone and limited the universe
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson