Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

republic

Well a few hours in and I'm not disappointed in the least.  The station looting is silly and I wish I could figure out how or wish it were possible for the map to stay in the bottom right monitor like it does while your in Highways and other times...not sure when or why.

This is the most alive that space has ever felt.

If I could have a fix list:

1.  Remove looting boxes and add it to the talking minigame.  "I like you, here's some crap" etc.
2.  I should see a radar/map in my cockpit.
3.  Make the Skunk bigger.  Let me collect crap from the talking minigame to fit out my ship.

PanzersEast

#181
Just a couple of items for the Free Play....

Best way to build up money is through missions.... and help gain reputation.  Gaining money can be a grind, but once you get there purchase a freighter and start looking for trade offers. 

Haven't even gotten to the point to where I can start to think about building a complex.

PE

mikeck

Yeah, at first I thought "trading" was going into stations and buying odds and ends..didn't realize until later that the real trading is done outside with an "offer" system. Also, trade ships are specialized. I am trying to get some missions going. I really want to buy one of those particle cannons that look and sound like a minigun but don't have the rep
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 17, 2013, 12:29:08 PM

JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?

No.  Unfortunately, I had to go back to an older save.

This fixed the disappearing menu for me: Use the radial menu to talk to your crew.  Walk around the rear of the ship, and then use the comm pad next to the door to return to your seat on the bridge.  Menu then works.

Seems like a bug happens where the game doesn't think you're seated and so doesn't pop up the menu.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Jarhead0331

Quote from: panzerde on November 17, 2013, 07:49:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 17, 2013, 12:29:08 PM

JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?

No.  Unfortunately, I had to go back to an older save.

This fixed the disappearing menu for me: Use the radial menu to talk to your crew.  Walk around the rear of the ship, and then use the comm pad next to the door to return to your seat on the bridge.  Menu then works.

Seems like a bug happens where the game doesn't think you're seated and so doesn't pop up the menu.

What you describe did not work for me. I had to reload from an old save. I have not experienced the problem since.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


republic

The forum uproar about X Rebirth is silly.  I hope the developers can squelch out the hoards of teenagers who bought it because of a Steam advert.

The game is a lot of fun and I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs yet.  It could use a few patches, but what game doesn't these days?

Its positives far outweigh its negatives...at least for me.  Definitely a step in the right direction for the X universe.  Patches, expansions, modders will go to work...but as it is I already enjoy it quite a bit.

Its an amalgamation of Independence War 2, X Beyond the Frontier, and Freelancer....and a tiny bit of Evochron Mercenaries.

undercovergeek

Quote from: republic on November 18, 2013, 08:00:09 AM
The forum uproar about X Rebirth is silly.  I hope the developers can squelch out the hoards of teenagers who bought it because of a Steam advert.

The game is a lot of fun and I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs yet.  It could use a few patches, but what game doesn't these days?

Its positives far outweigh its negatives...at least for me.  Definitely a step in the right direction for the X universe.  Patches, expansions, modders will go to work...but as it is I already enjoy it quite a bit.

Its an amalgamation of Independence War 2, X Beyond the Frontier, and Freelancer....and a tiny bit of Evochron Mercenaries.

same happened with Rome II - theyll get bored in a week and go scream at something else, leaving the forums for the people who want to discuss sensible tweaks

bboyer66

Rome II deserved every bit of criticism it received.   

So far I am most disappointed in the visuals. Seems like a big step back from X-3. No exterior view WTF?   

  Lots of interesting posts on how this was not supposed to be X-4, but was made to be a game on the X-BOX.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638


  Im not necessarily saying this is a bad game. But like Rome II, and Battlefield 4,  It sure does not seem like much of an improvement over its predecessors, and in some ways is a step backwards. 





PanzersEast

I have noticed that most mission on the early set is Fight missions and trade missions (which you cannot do on the outset of the Free Play).  I have see couple of Build Missions floating around but still looking for Pilot Missions, and the Other Missions.

I found this posted at Roguey's site that gives you the info for flying around the sectors.





The universe
The universe in X-Rebirth has changed a lot since the previous games. In the older x-games, we had sectors which were connected together with gates. You would travel to a gate, to enter another sector and so on. Whilst there are still gates and sectors, they are very much different now.

At the top, we have the galaxy. The galaxy is basically everything in the x-universe. Think of it as the world (Earth) to make things easier.

Now Earth is divvied into smaller sections - called continents (ie America, Europe, Asia etc). The same happens in X-R, the galaxy is split into clusters. There are 4 clusters in the universe. In our example, the continents are linked together by planes which take you to other continents.

Each cluster is split into sectors. Whilst the name remains the same as the previous games, a sector is a lot larger than before. Think of a sector like a country (ie. UK, Germany, France etc.) in Europe, and say these countries are linked together by trains (I know there are other ways, but that will make things more confusing). So to travel between them we need to get on a train to reach them. We may not get-off the train at any-time, only at train-stops and we can only go in the direction of the train. In X-R these trains are called super-highways.

So we have countries, we have towns and cities too? Well in X-R these are called zones. Zones are just areas, like our towns/cities. Our towns and cities are linked together by roads. In X-R these roads are called Local highway's. Unlike the train, we can exit a road at any time in a car. However think of them as one-way roads.

I hope the real-world examples didn't add more confusion to my explanation. Here's a quick diagram of the above, which may make it a bit easier to understand;



PE

JudgeDredd

If only my mouse would work with the joystick plugged in I might be able to click on something.

BBOYER66 - I'm with you on the graphics thing. With everything cranked up, it pales in significance to TC or AP imo. It's busier yes, but as someone else said I think it can be because the graphics are poor...either that or someone stole my good eyes and replace them with ugly ones  ;D

The X series has always meant 3 things to me

  • Beauty
  • Sandbox
  • Deep

1 isn't there and I can't really see two and 3 and the moment because I've been so buggered with the controls. Now my joystick works but the mouse doesn't and so I can't click on anything, can't accept missions, can't dock, nothing.

I haven't been able to play much so can't really comment constructively or otherwise re the gameplay.

I will say this though...it's the only release I remember where it didn't bother me I couldn't play it on release. That says something...either I'm an arse or the game doesn't look as nice as I was expecting (looks pull me to a game before gameplay...I'm shallow like that  ;D ).
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Yskonyn

I find it quite the stretch to call the graphics poor. They are less sharp and some ships (especially the lane traffic) seems to be rather low poly.
But if you look at the seamlessness of the game we should not underestimate the sheer amount of movement the game keeps track of.
For example; when you are walking on a station and look outside the window you are looking at the same busy sector in real time as when you are in the cockpit.
You can Dock at many ships, again when walking around in those the world outside keeps on going.
This is nothing short of spectacular and of course there has to be a tradeoff in polygons and detail.
Still, calling them poor is not fair IMHO.
Except the character models of course! Lol!

Another thing; the shading in stations and ship interiors seem to be sort of cell shaded not unlike Borderlands. I am not sure if the outside is as well. Perhaps this causes the view of certain aspects of the game having lesser graphics.
But I think All objects are shaded like this. It does give a different feel to the game from previous versions, but I do not want to call them poor.

But we cannot argue about taste now, can we. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Speaking of character models.  Why are women of the future so damn butt ugly?  I mean, if you're going to clone the same model over and over again, at least make it look good.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


republic

I'm enjoying the game a lot.  It feels more alive than X's of past.  I  prefer the highways to the interconnected cubes of space that the previous X's all had.  Also, using SETA to travel always took me out of the game, if that makes sense.  Both of those became major turnoffs for me...  With Beyond the Frontier it was great, but as other space games were able to do vast expanses of space...the interconnected cubes seemed silly.

The single ship was told to us in the outset so while I wish I could fly other ships...they did at least tell me ahead of time.  I'd like more ships, and I was lead to believe I could stand on the bridge of my capships and watch things happen...but maybe that will come later?  Being a 1 ship game though, I was expecting more to do on the inside of my ship...I'm deeply disappointed in the 2 rooms, and only 1 is navigable.  There's nothing to do in your ship except walk in and out of it.

The graphics are typical of many shader heavy games.  X3 is 'clean' whereas Rebirth relies on lots of shader effects which makes the 'blurry' look.  Its an art/graphics technology choice.  I don't mind it, but I do understand why others would.

JudgeDredd

When I say poor, I'm comparing them to TC and AB. I preferred the look of those to this. This is cartoonish, brash and blurry.

And I totally agree about everything the game is "keeping track of". But I'm a graphics whore. Always have been. I didn't spend £1000 buying a new computer so I could buy and play ugly games and no, I'm not saying this is ugly.

Ok - I won't say poor either...I'll go with "the graphics in Rebirth are a wee bit shite compared to TC and AB"  ;)

And yes JH - beautiful women of the future is what's required. More like her from Mass Effect 3 - she looked kind of cute iirc.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

PanzersEast

Well... to be honest I will still play both X3 and XreBirth.  Both give me a different feel and I think they are different enough to still play both.

As for the women.... welcome to the new frontier and ugly women are the new norm... time to seek out new life forms!  I find the dancing women in the bars..... comedy.. especially when I walk up to a women setting in the both of a dancing female hologram.


PE