Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

#195
Quote from: bboyer66 on November 18, 2013, 09:16:45 AM
Rome II deserved every bit of criticism it received.   

So far I am most disappointed in the visuals. Seems like a big step back from X-3. No exterior view WTF?   

  Lots of interesting posts on how this was not supposed to be X-4, but was made to be a game on the X-BOX.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638


  Im not necessarily saying this is a bad game. But like Rome II, and Battlefield 4,  It sure does not seem like much of an improvement over its predecessors, and in some ways is a step backwards.

I get what you are saying. But just like X rebirth, in Rome 2, much of the criticism was about the direction the game took with its user interface as well as concepts. Many people hated it because it was different claiming that Rome 2 was made for consoles...seems to be the new thing; if a game changes it's concept it must be because it's been ready for a console.

it turns out at least for me and for many others, that the changes in Rome2 make it a superior game to the campaign aspect of previous Rome total war games.  I like the provinces and I like the way buildings are made. Much of the complaining about X is because you only get one ship or people don't like the way trades are made. heck,  I've got a bunch of people complaining that the economy is broken!  how could one possibly know after they have only played for a couple hours?

I think it's just snowballed and it's gotten completely out of control with people thinking that everything is a bug because it doesn't work the way they remembered it. And because they don't like design decisions the assumption that it must've been ported for console and the exaggeration of everybody being game breaking

I love the new trading system and I like the fact that I'm in a cockpit and I have to move around the station to go talk to people to trade wares... where as to me it's more immersive, to many, this is a proof it was made for consoles I just don't see it that way.

Lol, you like it or you don't and nobody is right or wrong. But many of the bugs in this game and Rome2 were highly exaggerated by people who hated the game because of the design decisions ...in both cases, decisions I think made the games better
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

I apologize if the above post is virtually unreadable. I am using the voice recording thing on my iPhone because I am driving and it does not always record properly.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PanzersEast

Well... funny thing is that people complained about the slow start to X3... the SETA drive, jump gates making it less seamless, the exploit of the stock market... etc..... etc....

Now... all of a sudden those things were great. lol

I like both games for what they are and I am enjoying reBirth, it has been a adjustment, but nothing show stoping for me.  Time will tell which one I play more, but at this point I will continue to play both.


PE

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on November 18, 2013, 12:04:13 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on November 18, 2013, 09:16:45 AM
Rome II deserved every bit of criticism it received.   

So far I am most disappointed in the visuals. Seems like a big step back from X-3. No exterior view WTF?   

  Lots of interesting posts on how this was not supposed to be X-4, but was made to be a game on the X-BOX.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638


  Im not necessarily saying this is a bad game. But like Rome II, and Battlefield 4,  It sure does not seem like much of an improvement over its predecessors, and in some ways is a step backwards.

I get what you are saying. But just like X rebirth, in Rome 2, much of the criticism was about the direction the game took with its user interface as well as concepts. Many people hated it because it was different claiming that Rome 2 was made for consoles...seems to be the new thing; if a game changes it's concept it must be because it's been ready for a console.

it turns out at least for me and for many others, that the changes in Rome2 make it a superior game to the campaign aspect of previous Rome total war games.  I like the provinces and I like the way buildings are made. Much of the complaining about X is because you only get one ship or people don't like the way trades are made. heck,  I've got a bunch of people complaining that the economy is broken!  how could one possibly know after they have only played for a couple hours?

I think it's just snowballed and it's gotten completely out of control with people thinking that everything is a bug because it doesn't work the way they remembered it. And because they don't like design decisions the assumption that it must've been ported for console and the exaggeration of everybody being game breaking

I love the new trading system and I like the fact that I'm in a cockpit and I have to move around the station to go talk to people to trade wares... where as to me it's more immersive, to many, this is a proof it was made for consoles I just don't see it that way.

Lol, you like it or you don't and nobody is right or wrong. But many of the bugs in this game and Rome2 were highly exaggerated by people who hated the game because of the design decisions ...in both cases, decisions I think made the games better

  Yep, game criticism is getting relatively less useful as games get better.  Nowadays figuring out what people are actually seeing that they don't like is harder than just playing the game to see if you like it.  I think it is a problem with analysis (and I've said this before) in that many games these days work so well at a basic level that his basic functionality disappears analytically.  For example, no matter how you look at it, graphically Rome II's battles situate the formations/units in terrain much better than any game I've ever seen, but in effect it works so well that it is invisible in terms of analytic experience and people don't even notice what a masterpeice that all is graphically.  So if the game is really good (like Rome II), most of the game is just not there for analysis because it is working all too well.  So people only have whatever odd things they have noticed to say anything about.  and that's pretty random from what I've seen.

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2013, 10:32:39 AM
When I say poor, I'm comparing them to TC and AB. I preferred the look of those to this. This is cartoonish, brash and blurry.

And I totally agree about everything the game is "keeping track of". But I'm a graphics whore. Always have been. I didn't spend £1000 buying a new computer so I could buy and play ugly games and no, I'm not saying this is ugly.

Ok - I won't say poor either...I'll go with "the graphics in Rebirth are a wee bit shite compared to TC and AB"  ;)

And yes JH - beautiful women of the future is what's required. More like her from Mass Effect 3 - she looked kind of cute iirc.

Yeah, I agree that in terms of a snapshot or a screenshot the graphics in Albeon pride or X.3 TC are superior. However I think the graphics are better in rebirth when you look at how fluid things move,the way the ships move the trails from the engines the weapons affects the way the ship soon and out of the stations everything moves much more fluid and realistic than X.3. That culmination of fluid movements to meet gets it overall better graphical presentation. I feel like I am in a live space sector as opposed to just a game basically
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I'll definitely give you it feels more alive and less clinical than the previous titles.

Perhaps I've not played it enough yet.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

republic

I'm with Panzer, I'll be playing both.  They are each good in their own right.

mikeck

Ok..question: is there any reason to play the campaign other than as a turorial? In x3, you could play the campaign but stop for as long as you wanted between missions to do your sandbox thing. It was worth it for the goodies. Is it the same in rebirth? Can I stop after a mission and take a 100 hour break to build an empire...then continue?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PanzersEast

Quote from: mikeck on November 18, 2013, 03:32:05 PM
Ok..question: is there any reason to play the campaign other than as a turorial? In x3, you could play the campaign but stop for as long as you wanted between missions to do your sandbox thing. It was worth it for the goodies. Is it the same in rebirth? Can I stop after a mission and take a 100 hour break to build an empire...then continue?

I have played through some of the campaign and stopped.... from what I can tell it is more or less to get you into the game and demonstrate how the game works.  I may go back at some point, but is more fun playing the sandbox and exploring to me.  I think you can just pick back up on your saved game.


PE

mikeck

#204
Some new mods for rebirth that change the cockpit, add trader commands, remove annoying dialogue (show me your wares please!) etc

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

republic

Quote from: mikeck on November 18, 2013, 05:44:49 PM
Some new mods for rebirth that change the cockpit, add trader commands, remove annoying dialogue (show me your wares please!) etc

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319

Fantastic!  I knew the mod community would step up...just had no idea it would be so fast!

Yskonyn

I have been playing for a good 2.5 hours tonight and I am totally enjoying myself!

While the interiors are the same for each type of structure, they are different between structure types. So the lack of variety doesn't really bother me at all so far. Enough change of scenery in the game.

I do find the UI clunky, even with a gamepad (which is very nice to use for controlling your ship in combat I found!). There's a lot of navigating through menu's and certain options are not very intuitive. But we'll adapt as we go.

Immersion all around! For example, one cool thing I saw just now was when my freighter had docked at a station to load some Energy Cells I had bought, you actually start seeing little loader ships going back and forth between the docking tubes of the station and the ship! O_O pretty cool!

There is so much going on around you that I find Rebirth the most fun game in the series, hands down. The immersion factor is just immense.
What I also find rather amazing is that when you're docked at a ship or station, you can actually still see the sector in real time with all the ships doing their business. All while you are running around in first person mode on the platform. Very nice.

Alas, time to go to bed, but I am seriously diving back in tomorrow again!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

republic

I just hate that the negativity is so vehement at Egosoft and on Steam.  I'm tired of reading people blasting it for only being able to have 1 ship...we've known that for at least a year.  Most people would like more than one ship...but the developers have been prepping the community for some time now.

jomni

For someone who has no experience with the series, do you recommend Rebirth?

republic

Its the most approachable X to date.  If you enjoy exploration and trade I don't think there is an equal.  It isn't without its faults.  I just experienced the "plop the player 100km away from the highway" bug today...but it was kinda fun to navigate my way back.

It truly replicates a living universe like no other game I've played.