Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

republic

I'm happy with the single ship.  It reminds me of Independence War, I loved that ship by the end of the game.

I do wish we had more rooms in the ship so that once we get an autopilot we could futz around in the other parts of the ship doing things.  Also be fun to have additional crewmembers as DLC or something.

I REALLY enjoy X Rebirth, and I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time.   I feel like there are things to be discovered.  I even like watching other people play it lol

I think that its a tragedy that potential lifelong fans are going to be turned away by the mindless drivel that is most of the forum complaints on both Steam and Egosoft forums...

mikeck

#271
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2013, 06:02:02 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 20, 2013, 05:47:38 PM
Question about the tutorial. I got the mission to buy 100 energy cells and I purchased 100 energy cells. I then went on the mission to transport the passenger to the other station. After dropping off the passenger it told me to go back to the original sector where I purchased the energy cells. Now it still has my mission as buy 100 energy cells? I don't understand I'd already purchased 100 energy cells is a just a question of me waiting long enough for my ship to load up with the cells?

I went ahead and purchased 100 again and now my freighter is moving. Does the campaign mission not changed to "sell 100 energy cells" until the cells are actually loaded up?

There is a bug in this mission.  See my comments a few posts up in this thread.

Yeah, saw that. Except I had only given 1 trade order...now my ship is moving.
Is there a way to see what missions are queued up for the trade ship ?

Edit: had to load an old save and start over . My ship had two trade orders and said that it had completed both..but I couldn't sell to the new station and my ship was still hanging out in the gem-whatever- sector.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Nefaro, I am in fact a bit dissapointed about the level of customization being available for the Skunk. From the info that was presented to us and the questionnaires asked about how this would work once Rebirth got announced, I expected the Skunk to become more like the played HQ in X3, just in ship form. I expected we could add whole modules to th ship.
No such thing.
You can upgrade shields, weapons, software and drones as far as I am aware. You cannot add new compartments to it.
You can also hier crew which give you some added functionality like an Engineer on board repairing your ship.

Still, I do not think this is such a bad thing.
All is still there to build up a fleet and empire in the game. The UI just needs work to make it less of a chore to command things around, especially when your empire gets bigger. Because I do see where this will be a problem at the current state of the game.

BTW if you guys are wondering wether you can drop items from your inventory to prevent getting caught with illegal wares by the police, you can; go in the main menu (ENTER) to Info and then Personal Status. You can then check your inventory and drop items. Its a bit obscure but it can be done.

Mikeck, the trade window has a seperate page for selling and one for buying. Be sure to display the correct one depending on what you want to do. Otherwise it might appear you cannot sell when in fact you can.
Another thing to keep in mind is the naming of goods; Plasma is the raw resource, whereas Plasma cells are a fabricated good. Both are seperate items in the game.
Freighters also are specialized; check what they can actually transport.

I am still wondering wether the Adjustment percentage on the selling price is in relation to your buy price or to the region (or galaxy) average?

The price offers do seem to be tied to time. Once you leave a region prices will not update on your computer until you visit again.
Hopefully prices do keep updated if you have an owned ship there rather than the Skunk, but I haven't been able to test that yet. If not, trading will become a big chore once you have multiple ships.
I do expect though that they will get fed to you as long as you have presence in that region with either ships or stations.

For a sole trader things are hard, but that has always been the case in any X game. It takes a fair bit of work before you can make some profitable traderuns and once you get more ships and a complex you get some steady income.
No different in Rebirth.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

republic

Can any of you confirm whether you get your capital ship back later on in the campaign?  I've returned to where my freighter should be but the only other ship listed in my employ is the smaller one given to me at the other place.  Sorry for vagaries, trying to keep spoiler free.

Darkspire

QuoteThe price offers do seem to be tied to time. Once you leave a region prices will not update on your computer until you visit again.
Hopefully prices do keep updated if you have an owned ship there rather than the Skunk, but I haven't been able to test that yet. If not, trading will become a big chore once you have multiple ships.
I do expect though that they will get fed to you as long as you have presence in that region with either ships or stations.

Navigation Relay Satellites? They must still be available, I always seed a good few of those in the best areas before doing any trading in the previous games and then put one in every sector except for the pirate ones when I get further on.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Yskonyn

Quote from: republic on November 21, 2013, 05:33:48 AM
Can any of you confirm whether you get your capital ship back later on in the campaign?  I've returned to where my freighter should be but the only other ship listed in my employ is the smaller one given to me at the other place.  Sorry for vagaries, trying to keep spoiler free.

I think you lost that first freighter. I had pointed out this happens a while back in this thread. I didn't continue the story afterwards so I am not entirely sure, but the simple fact that the ship doesn't show up anymore under 'Owned property' makes me pretty convinved you've lost it for whatever vague reason. It doesn't make sense and frankly feel like you have been robbed. Especially after shelling out over 100.000 credits for a Defense Officer. :(

Quote from: DarkspireNavigation Relay Satellites? They must still be available, I always seed a good few of those in the best areas before doing any trading in the previous games and then put one in every sector except for the pirate ones when I get further on.

Darkspire

I haven't seen any satellites in the game yet. But there are a great variety of drones, so perhaps a drone version has gotten this function. Not sure, have to look into it, but thanks for the tip in any case! :) *thumbsup*
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

republic

#276
I've encountered a bug.  The mission where you have to use the UAV to scan the station...I've completed it 3 times and it keeps looping...  As soon as I complete it it tells me to get in the UAV and has me scan the same things again...not sure whats going on

Edit:  Not a bug, I was using the "Beholder" drone and I needed the "Hacker" drone.  I wasn't supposed to scan I was supposed to hack  :)

Just goes to show that the forum fervor can be contagious.  Instead of re-reading the mission I assumed I'd found a bug.

Yskonyn

#277
Quote from: republic on November 21, 2013, 06:54:39 AM
I've encountered a bug.  The mission where you have to use the UAV to scan the station...I've completed it 3 times and it keeps looping...  As soon as I complete it it tells me to get in the UAV and has me scan the same things again...not sure whats going on

Edit:  Not a bug, I was using the "Beholder" drone and I needed the "Hacker" drone.  I wasn't supposed to scan I was supposed to hack  :)

Just goes to show that the forum fervor can be contagious.  Instead of re-reading the mission I assumed I'd found a bug.

True. but on the other hand the game could provide some better feedback to the player at time too.
That doesn't defend the vitriol at the forums of course, but just saying the game does leave the player oblivious at times while a simple message in-game would prevent this.

A good point made by RPS which I have had to deal with as well is this;
Quote from: RPSDrones play a few roles in the game: as one of the meagre upgrades to the ship they can act as defence buffs, and they can be directly controlled by the player in offensive roles. In this case, I was told to use a hacker drone (actually called a "Beholder Drone", but why use the actual word when an unused term can be substituted?) to compromise a station's defences. But because of my standing with the zone's police state – a standing that the plot forced on me – my ship was a beacon for all the police in the zone. Leaving the ship in the drone meant I couldn't defend it while it was under attack, and there are no automated defences: the co-pilot just sits there, dimly allowing the shields to fail and the ship to be destroyed. I had to return and defend myself, which only escalated the problem. This isn't really bugged, but it's a good example of the lack of care Rebirth has receive. I managed to complete the mission by jamming my ship into a gap in the zone's station.

Indeed a serious problem and I hope we get either automated defenses on the Skunk (stations already have those) or co-pilot AI to flee with your ship under certain circumstances.

Anyway...
In my game I have decided to get rid of the Plasma Cells. In the whole of Lookout Alpha and Inner World there are no oppertunities to sell them with a profit. I do not want to check other sectors.
So I have sold 560 of the 810 I have for a -13% profit... ouch.

I have found that the offers listed in the trade window do expire. This is because with the new system of supply and demand every trade is a seperate entry in the list. So whenever an AI or the player decided to take the offer it is considered done and removed from the list. After this you need to rescan the trade nodes to get new entries in this list.
On the one hand this is cool in that selling/buying points at stations are running in real time too; some aren't active UNTIL they have goods they need or want to sell. Pretty cool.
However, the downside is that it is pretty laborous to look for good deals when you just have the Skunk and a freighter. Because there is no way to automatically keep the tradelist up to date. I seriously hope there is a way to do this (as asked above), because I haven't found satellites or probes yet like we could use in the previous games.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this?

This brings me to another point about immersion (again!): There are so much little things going on, so much detail if you look closely that it almost seems like the devs were totally into creating this society, this living world (in which they have succeeded) that they forgot to put in some good thought about how the player was going to interact with all this on all levels (e.g. only having a single ship, vs having an empire). The more I play, the more I come across these things. (Have now played for 13 hours). It really is an unpolished gem, but we as player mostly need additional tools to interact with it all.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 21, 2013, 08:17:40 AM
This brings me to another point about immersion (again!): There are so much little things going on, so much detail if you look closely that it almost seems like the devs were totally into creating this society, this living world (in which they have succeeded) that they forgot to put in some good thought about how the player was going to interact with all this on all levels (e.g. only having a single ship, vs having an empire). The more I play, the more I come across these things. (Have now played for 13 hours). It really is an unpolished gem, but we as player mostly need additional tools to interact with it all.

I agree with this statement and I believe that is why the first mod extensions we are seeing are mods that give feedback to the user.... better trading communication and control, Warning System feedback, better fleet control/comms...  you would think these things would have been implemented to begin with, however some of the much needed elements of the game are being addressed. 

No doubt with time this will be a solid title, and I have equally as much faith in the Modding community as I do Egosoft.



PE

CptHowdy

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 21, 2013, 08:37:52 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 21, 2013, 08:17:40 AM
This brings me to another point about immersion (again!): There are so much little things going on, so much detail if you look closely that it almost seems like the devs were totally into creating this society, this living world (in which they have succeeded) that they forgot to put in some good thought about how the player was going to interact with all this on all levels (e.g. only having a single ship, vs having an empire). The more I play, the more I come across these things. (Have now played for 13 hours). It really is an unpolished gem, but we as player mostly need additional tools to interact with it all.

I agree with this statement and I believe that is why the first mod extensions we are seeing are mods that give feedback to the user.... better trading communication and control, Warning System feedback, better fleet control/comms...  you would think these things would have been implemented to begin with, however some of the much needed elements of the game are being addressed. 

No doubt with time this will be a solid title, and I have equally as much faith in the Modding community as I do Egosoft.



PE

isn't this the case with all games that are easily modded? paradox does it with crusader kings, eu. the total war games, skyrim etc... as ive said in another thread I consider mods to be quality of life items, graphical improvements. did they get halfway through this and say "hey you know what the modding community will fix this for us or come up with something better"

mikeck

I think I'm ready to start off my own. Should I start a new sandbox campaign or wait until the rails stop on the campaign and start in the campaign ?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Well... I just purchased X: Rebirth.  The big thing that made me pull out the wallet was the nearly universal reports of the galaxy feeling "more alive".  No matter if you only get one ship with only a few limited customization slots or if they went overboard on the post-processing bloom effects.. I want to see how well they did on this immersion thing.   I couldn't get into the X3 series for very long due to the universe feeling kinda sterile so maybe this one will hold me a bit longer. 

I just got done checking out the Starpoint Gemini 2 Alpha and it looks much more polished than their first one, even in Alpha.  It's a good time to be a Space Trader-Pirate.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 10:04:32 PM
Well... I just purchased X: Rebirth.  The big thing that made me pull out the wallet was the nearly universal reports of the galaxy feeling "more alive".  No matter if you only get one ship with only a few limited customization slots or if they went overboard on the post-processing bloom effects.. I want to see how well they did on this immersion thing.   I couldn't get into the X3 series for very long due to the universe feeling kinda sterile so maybe this one will hold me a bit longer. 

I just got done checking out the Starpoint Gemini 2 Alpha and it looks much more polished than their first one, even in Alpha.  It's a good time to be a Space Trader-Pirate.

I think you will like it...but be prepared for some bugs and also for things you think are bugs but really aren't...just UI confusion
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

By the way, modding the game is a breeze. Creat a folder called "Extensions" and out in in your main x-rebirth folder. Them just drop the mod in...automatically activates.

I'm finding several very useful. Particularly the one that looks you to get station and trade info from a greater distance and the one that gives more feedback from trade ships
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Yes those are pretty much must-haves right now.
The looking for and scanning of 'i' icons on stations is starting to get annoying now. I would assume that once you scan a certain component it is known to you and does not need to be scanned on a different station with that same module. But the game doesnt work like this. I find it a bad design decision and I cannot see why this is deemed fun, especially not in the long run. Why on earth do I want to keep scanning the same modules over and over again just to get some discounts on trades? It is silly and annoying after a while, so every mod that makes this easier is great .
And then I didnt even mention that the icons are dissapearing Willy nilly under certain angles, making it even more of a PITA to scan them.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."