Matrix Holiday Sale Starts Tomorrow (21st November)

Started by JudgeDredd, November 20, 2013, 04:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on November 26, 2013, 06:49:34 PM

Anyway, I just might pick them up individually.  I have the original Gettysburg with the 1-PC DRM and it might be nice to just buy it again from Matrix on sale so I don't have to worry about that pesky single install DRM bull.  They're solid games so I'm sure I'll game my gaming's worth out of them.

You do not need to purchase the original game again!

Your old key code for SOW: Gettysburg also works in the Matrix version.  I believe you can download the latest unlockable version from the SOW website and you're good to go.  No DRM anymore.

That's what I did.  Grabbed the latest Installer, used my old SOW key, then started purchasing expansions from Matrix.

Toonces

Well, now THAT is good news!  Thank you for that information!   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

-budd-

anybody have any opinions or experience with "A world at war: a world divided" It's the only one i'm looking at this year, all the rest that have my interest were released this year and not on sale.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Bison

Matrix has a patch that removes the DRM from SoW.   

Grim.Reaper

Kind of bummed...nothing really interests me....I have purchased most everything I wanted in the past.  To be honest, although nice to see the sale prices, the discounts aren't usually enough to have me wait for a holiday sale versus just buying right away.  Unlike steam and other online stores where their prices are insanely drastic where it does sometimes makes me hold off.

I am more interested in the steams/other online provider sales at this point...bring them on.

Barthheart

Quote from: -budd- on November 26, 2013, 08:15:16 PM
anybody have any opinions or experience with "A world at war: a world divided" It's the only one i'm looking at this year, all the rest that have my interest were released this year and not on sale.

It's a fun game. Kind of like Axis & Allies on steroids. Area movement. Production. Strategic movement.
AI is pretty good.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2013, 09:06:07 PM
Kind of bummed...nothing really interests me....I have purchased most everything I wanted in the past.  To be honest, although nice to see the sale prices, the discounts aren't usually enough to have me wait for a holiday sale versus just buying right away.  Unlike steam and other online stores where their prices are insanely drastic where it does sometimes makes me hold off.

I am more interested in the steams/other online provider sales at this point...bring them on.

probably best to wait for their weekly sale if they keep running them.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2013, 09:08:59 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 26, 2013, 08:15:16 PM
anybody have any opinions or experience with "A world at war: a world divided" It's the only one i'm looking at this year, all the rest that have my interest were released this year and not on sale.

It's a fun game. Kind of like Axis & Allies on steroids. Area movement. Production. Strategic movement.
AI is pretty good.

Agreed. I bought this game during last year's Christmas sale.

smittyohio

Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2013, 09:08:59 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 26, 2013, 08:15:16 PM
anybody have any opinions or experience with "A world at war: a world divided" It's the only one i'm looking at this year, all the rest that have my interest were released this year and not on sale.

It's a fun game. Kind of like Axis & Allies on steroids. Area movement. Production. Strategic movement.
AI is pretty good.

Agreed, fun game, and has all the things you'd want in a global WW2 grand strategy game, even if some are a little thin (diplomacy).  It kinda got a bad rep I think because it looks a lot like Axis and Allies, and is pretty simple to play (if only badly).    I'd love to see a remake of this with monthly turns and more areas. 

The main thing to remember is that the turns are 3 months long and the areas pretty large, so you aren't doing grand encirclements or anything.  More like getting the right units in place, making sure they are supplied, and gaining superiority in a region or sea area.   Lebatron's AWD Deluxe is very nice also.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: challerain on November 26, 2013, 06:23:14 PM
Quote from: Toonces on November 26, 2013, 06:19:57 PM
I meant buying all the Scourge of War games...they don't come bundled as far as I know.  Sorry for the confusion.

There is a Gettysburg 150th edition that contains all the games, however it is not on sale since it includes Brandy Station which is fairly new and not on sale.
I totalled the games up individually and then looked at the "package" and there was only a few pounds in it.

Gettysburg 150th Anniversary package - £54+tax DX or £59.99+tax boxed
includes Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, Antietam, Pipe Creek, Brandy Station

Individually
Gettysburg - £13.99+tax DX or £19.99+tax
Chancellorsville - £13.99+tax DX or £19.99+tax
Antietam - £8.99+tax DX or £15.99+tax
Pipe Creek - £3.99+tax DX or 10.99+tax
Brandy Station - £6.99+tax DX or £13.99+tax
Total - £47.95+tax DX or £80.95+tax

So the package will cost you £6 more than the individual items for digital download, but if you want a boxed copy, you'll save £20

Looks like the "package" contains the discounted items - but with a full price Brandy Station.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JasonPratt

Or you can buy them individually by download (and write them to a CD somewhere for safekeeping while archiving the activation codes), and save 33 pounds.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Does anybody know if the SOW expansion Chancellorsville has that annoying feature of not being able to freely play any scenario but having to play them in a certain order to open up later scenarios like in the original game?  I would like to get this one on sale but hesitate because of this feature.  There was a mod for the original that opened up all scenarios, hopefully they learned their lesson and removed the feature from Chancellorsville. 

FlickJax

Quote from: Rayfer on December 02, 2013, 06:17:32 PM
Does anybody know if the SOW expansion Chancellorsville has that annoying feature of not being able to freely play any scenario but having to play them in a certain order to open up later scenarios like in the original game?  I would like to get this one on sale but hesitate because of this feature.  There was a mod for the original that opened up all scenarios, hopefully they learned their lesson and removed the feature from Chancellorsville.

OK so I still haven't decided whether to get SoW or DC Case Blue   and now another question from what Ray states above is it better to get Chancellorsville rather than Gettisburg?

GJK

Personally, I would go with Gettysburg for a few reasons:

1. It is the "franchise product" meaning that it was the first of the series so it has the most support in the way of add on maps, mods, etc.

2. Chancellorsville is a beautiful but very wooded map.  Gettysburg had sweeping wide (mostly) open plains, with key hill structures. 

3. Gettysburg is certainly the better known of the battles but depending on your personal knowledge of the history, one battle may suit you more than the other. Chancy was Stonewall Jackson's continued rise in fame and also his epic demise.  Gettysburg has so much history in it that you can't really classify it as a single battle.  It was 3 days of crucial battles over that entire landscape.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

FlickJax

Quote from: GJK on December 03, 2013, 12:21:24 PM
Personally, I would go with Gettysburg for a few reasons:

1. It is the "franchise product" meaning that it was the first of the series so it has the most support in the way of add on maps, mods, etc.

2. Chancellorsville is a beautiful but very wooded map.  Gettysburg had sweeping wide (mostly) open plains, with key hill structures. 

3. Gettysburg is certainly the better known of the battles but depending on your personal knowledge of the history, one battle may suit you more than the other. Chancy was Stonewall Jackson's continued rise in fame and also his epic demise.  Gettysburg has so much history in it that you can't really classify it as a single battle.  It was 3 days of crucial battles over that entire landscape.

Sold :)