Histwar: LG becomes Histwar Napoleon

Started by undercovergeek, December 04, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2013, 07:30:17 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2013, 08:55:34 PM
Quote from: magnus on December 07, 2013, 08:39:40 PM
Here you go.

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,7638.0.html

I often wonder how I was able to pass classes in both French and Spanish. I believe if let on my own I would just be able to find the correct bathroom in each country.

Thank you...looks like most of that config items is for NVidia, but I did try the few things mentioned for Radeon, not much of a difference.  Although the graphics are a ton better than the prior version, mine are a little dark/blurry.  Not showstoppers, but was thinking it would be a little crisper.  Couple of other random thoughts so far, without much time in it yet.


-  In general 3d view and symbol view much better than prior version
-  One big issue I am currently having is when using the mouse scroll button to change zoom level in the 3d view, it gets stuck and completely blurs the screen.  I have to exit the view and come back in to correct it.
-  Different font colors used for things is questionable in some spots.  For example, on the 2D map, when you draw your orders at least in the tutorials, the text is black and if you extend over other black objects like towns, you loose the information.
- Selecting units in 2d view to give orders by clicking on them sometimes tricky...takes hitting it just right to work
- They changed the orders menu from a list of text options to a bunch of graphic options...kind of liked the text options better since easier to see what you wanted
-  In a few spots, the size of the text over runs the available space to display it
-  As mentioned in a previous post, one of my concerns is having a ton of troops on small maps; not sure how tactical you can be at an army/corp level when you appear to have minimal room to maneuver
-  I attempted to load user made scenarios from the old game into the new game and seemed to work just fine....this is great since gives you more to play with....also means if you have the old game, you can load the scenarios that came with it to expand your library.

Again, way too early to draw any conclusions....I have a lot to learn and expect this game to improve over time.

Magnus/skoop, do you know of a direct email address for support issues?  I couldn't find on their web site anywhere.  I know they have the support forum to post issues, but I have already beat that horse to death by stating I don't have access yet:)

I thought the maps were supposed to be huge?

At least the maps I played so far seemed small.  Not so much that there isn't a lot of territory, but you place 2 huge armies on it and feels very cramped in maneuvering.  Seems like it would limit your strategy.  But too early too know for sure.

undercovergeek

does the 2d command section work as good as it looked on Chelco's blog?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 09, 2013, 09:02:12 PM
does the 2d command section work as good as it looked on Chelco's blog?

I think the 2d command map is a great feature and seems to work very well.  You can draw up your strategy it fairly easy to understand commands and have your troops execute the orders. I have read in other forums some players only play using this screen versus the 3d map.  Personally, I like using both.  I still have a lot to learn about it, but I think it will be good.  Graphically it is improved over the new version, along with the mini map that displays on the battle map.

I also stand corrected on my earlier statements about not liking the new command interface in the 2D map....just found it there are two options available, the classic view and the new view.  Best of both worlds in getting to choose the one I like.  Nice touch.

Nefaro

Quote from: magnus on December 09, 2013, 07:51:45 PM
Good, I am not the only one.

I keep playing SOW over and over expecting something different.

Then the enemy and my troops start doing a square dance that looks like it is being called by Bugs Bunny.

I just have to quit then because it is so annoying.

If you're having problems becoming immersed in SOW, I would be extremely surprised if you find Histwar an improvement.  It didn't even come close when I tried it.  ???

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on December 10, 2013, 03:54:17 AM
Quote from: magnus on December 09, 2013, 07:51:45 PM
Good, I am not the only one.

I keep playing SOW over and over expecting something different.

Then the enemy and my troops start doing a square dance that looks like it is being called by Bugs Bunny.

I just have to quit then because it is so annoying.

If you're having problems becoming immersed in SOW, I would be extremely surprised if you find Histwar an improvement.  It didn't even come close when I tried it.  ???

I haven't put enough time in with Histwar to really compare the two yet.....but what I can say is I found it very hard to control troops within SOW beyond the brigade level (i.e. army, corp, division, etc).  Not sure if it is because of its implementation within the game or I am just not good at it, but regardless I could never handle it,  I am hoping Histwar provides easier controls for that level of management and from what I have seen so far, it might actually click better for me.  However from an immersion perspective, I think that has a lot to do with the time period/battles and what interests you.  I prefer Civil War games since I know them better, but this time around I am kind of excited to learn about Histwars battles/tactics which I have very little knowledge.

In the end, I am hoping both games stay with me for a long time.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on December 10, 2013, 03:54:17 AM
Quote from: magnus on December 09, 2013, 07:51:45 PM
Good, I am not the only one.

I keep playing SOW over and over expecting something different.

Then the enemy and my troops start doing a square dance that looks like it is being called by Bugs Bunny.

I just have to quit then because it is so annoying.

If you're having problems becoming immersed in SOW, I would be extremely surprised if you find Histwar an improvement.  It didn't even come close when I tried it.  ???

I like scourge of war and I do find the immersion. I just don't like that when I'm trying to set up an attack...once I launch it I get a big jumble of lines all facing in different directions and one guy over here, one brigade over here,  another brigade wandering backwards to the woods so on it used to not bother me but for some reason now it does just looks unclean
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 09, 2013, 08:02:10 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2013, 07:41:34 PM
I don't care about the delay to get on the forum so I may grab it anyway. I really want to play a tactical command game like scourge of war. Problem is that I have just grown tired of trying to wrestle around with the formations in Scourge. Units become so intermingled that it just becomes a big glob of units swinging back and forth. I know it's a command simulation but sometimes I NEED my troops to maintain some cohesion. Anyway

Will give this a try

did you buy it?

Not yet. I bring up the website and then I think "do I really feel like playing this right now?" Then go to something else
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

So any further reports from those who bought it?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Okay I took the plunge when I started it up every battle was orange like sunrise this orangish-red just red color that can't be right? anybody else seen this?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

^ I think it's suppose to be a new effect like sunrise, it goes away as the battle goes on.  I think it might be the lighting effects they added.  Some people complained, some like it, might be preference I guess.  I noticed the up close detail of the soldiers seems kinda blurry from the new shaders, I turned the shader 3 option off and the sunrise effect and blurriness are gone.

I messed around with the bagolino scenario last nite it was fun, but I still don't really know what I'm doing.  The manual has a ton of great info on strategy / tactics in the Napoleonic era, but I feel like it doesn't help much in playing the game.  I spend a lot of time in the 2d map for SA and periodically go to 3d to watch some of the action but I feel like a lot is going on around the battlefield that I'm missing.  Would be cool for playability if they had a message dialog box that you could click and go right to that zoomed in view of the unit, but hey they didn't have real time SA in 1805 so I guess that's the point of this game.

Still a work in progress though.

mikeck

Yeah your right...looked like sunrise because it was sunrise....I'm a Moron
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Just played around for a bit in the Austerlitz battle. I do dig the new graphics. Once the cannons stated firing and the smoke started drifting, it looked like a painting. JMM did a great job with the soft light and tones
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson


mikeck

Anyone know of another forum for histwar besides the histwar.org site? There is an English sub forum but people keep posting in that forum in French. Nothing against the language but there are plenty of French sub forums for that game.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on December 15, 2013, 03:34:55 PM
Anyone know of another forum for histwar besides the histwar.org site? There is an English sub forum but people keep posting in that forum in French. Nothing against the language but there are plenty of French sub forums for that game.

Not sure if you saw, but there is a dedicated new forum on histwar for the new version....I didn't see it at first, its at the top.  Still has a mix of nationalities, but most appears to be n English.  For the posts that are not, I usually use google translator and it works fine.  I am unaware of any other forum that discusses the game, besides here at grogheads.

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,125.0.html