Main Menu

Steam Holiday Sale 2013

Started by steve58, December 19, 2013, 02:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

So I watched some Youtube videos and I'm just not seeing the attraction for Train Simulator.  I mean, I suppose it's awesome if you're into trains, but I'm pretty ambivalent about trains.  So, not sure that such two-dimensional traveling is going to be for me.  Not to mention it doesn't seem to have the goal-oriented content of Euro Truck or FSX with Air Hauler.

$10 isn't a lot of money, but unless someone can convince me I'm missing out I think I'm going to take a pass.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

CptHowdy

Quote from: Toonces on December 20, 2013, 11:16:37 PM
So I watched some Youtube videos and I'm just not seeing the attraction for Train Simulator.  I mean, I suppose it's awesome if you're into trains, but I'm pretty ambivalent about trains.  So, not sure that such two-dimensional traveling is going to be for me.  Not to mention it doesn't seem to have the goal-oriented content of Euro Truck or FSX with Air Hauler.

$10 isn't a lot of money, but unless someone can convince me I'm missing out I think I'm going to take a pass.

2d traveling? what do you mean by this? I think the lure of this game is all the vantage points you can watch your train from and view the scenery. I have it but I am not enamored with the control scheme and was never a model train person to begin with. I doubt I will ever play it much if at all but I got it cheap!

Toonces

What I mean is that in FSX you're flying so you're controlling an airplane in 3 dimensions.  I Euro Trucker you're driving so you're going forwards and backwards as well as left/right and negotiating traffic, etc.  In a train, you're locked onto a single path, so you're only real input is speed of the train.  I'm not seeing where the lure of that is.

I'm not bagging on folks that enjoy it, I just don't see how I'm going to enjoy it.  Obviously there must be something challenging about driving trains, but I'm afraid I'd be underwhelmed.  I don't think watching the scenery pass by is going to be enough to keep me engaged.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

I think Toonces' hang up is that Engineers by stereotype use pocket watches and not large wrist watches.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Toonces on December 20, 2013, 07:31:44 PM
The only things that has caught my eye are Train Simulator and Space Hulk.  I'm not really into trains, but for 80% off, I'm going to check out some Youtube videos to see what the heck is so interesting about driving a train.  Seems like something that wouldn't be real stimulating...

I had the same thought as you before I started first bought Trainz and now Train Simulator, but I enjoy playing the game for the reasons: making sure I get the signals right and don't blow through a stop signal, making sure I got the switches right so I don't collide with another train and keeping to a scenario's schedule. Plus all of the downloaded user made scenarios really add to the game. And overall, it's a pretty relaxing game to while away the time.

Train Simulator is definitely not for everyone though.

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: WallysWorld on December 21, 2013, 12:07:10 PM
Quote from: Toonces on December 20, 2013, 07:31:44 PM
The only things that has caught my eye are Train Simulator and Space Hulk.  I'm not really into trains, but for 80% off, I'm going to check out some Youtube videos to see what the heck is so interesting about driving a train.  Seems like something that wouldn't be real stimulating...

I had the same thought as you before I started first bought Trainz and now Train Simulator, but I enjoy playing the game for the reasons: making sure I get the signals right and don't blow through a stop signal, making sure I got the switches right so I don't collide with another train and keeping to a scenario's schedule. Plus all of the downloaded user made scenarios really add to the game. And overall, it's a pretty relaxing game to while away the time.

Train Simulator is definitely not for everyone though.

Agreed...I bought them both during a holiday sale last year or the year before for a few bucks (believe both were under $5 at the time) and they are fun to play around with.  Nothing serious for me, but kind of neat choosing various trains and taking a seat watching them travel around.  Like you said, very relaxing and light hearted fun...don't regret my purchases at all.  The nice thing about train simulator, I believe I have gotten the last two year's version as free upgrades after my original purchase, not too shabby.

steve58

:-\ Well, so far I'm underwhelmed by the Holiday Sale.  My best deal so far was selling a Snow Globe trading card I got free for voting 3 times for the Community Choice.  I must've underpriced it, because someone picked it up within a minute of me posting it on the Market...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tpek

I tried selling one with the same price most people managed to sell it for, and it is still waiting to be sold.

I still have a lot of "trading cards" waiting for people to get them. Unfortunately I can't even lower their price, so I'm kinda screwed :P

steve58

The one I sold was a "foil" so I guess it had more value than the regular snow globe cards.

p.s.  If you go under Community --> Market, and click "My Active Listings" you should be able to remove your listings and then repost them with a new price.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tpek

Quote from: steve58 on December 23, 2013, 01:00:42 PM
The one I sold was a "foil" so I guess it had more value than the regular snow globe cards.

p.s.  If you go under Community --> Market, and click "My Active Listings" you should be able to remove your listings and then repost them with a new price.

Thanks!

undercovergeek


Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 23, 2013, 03:31:10 PM
Arma III at £23.99 - sold!!

Great!  Join us tonight at 4pm EST on the SimHQ Military Monday server.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 23, 2013, 04:07:37 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 23, 2013, 03:31:10 PM
Arma III at £23.99 - sold!!

Great!  Join us tonight at 4pm EST on the SimHQ Military Monday server.

you still blasting away over there - i dropped out of the Iron Front one on Saturday as it coincided with undercoverjuniors bed time

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Tpek on December 23, 2013, 12:33:44 PM
I tried selling one with the same price most people managed to sell it for, and it is still waiting to be sold.

I still have a lot of "trading cards" waiting for people to get them. Unfortunately I can't even lower their price, so I'm kinda screwed :P

Hover the mouse pointer over Community in the Steam app, then go to Market which will appear at the bottom of the list.
Every item you have up will appear on the screen. Delete them from the market, then re-enter them at a different price.

For something that there are a lot of copies of (like the snow globes), you're getting lost amongst dozens of other copies. After a few hours, delete the sales, then re-enter them. Now you're among the newest items on the market again. I've been doing that and selling them within minutes.