Qvadriga: Roman Chariot Racing Game

Started by Gusington, June 01, 2012, 12:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ComradeP

QuoteIn all my beta testing, I did not get full discount. (LnL, Allied Corps, Flashpoint)

Odd. Maybe they were mostly run from the Slitherine side? Allied Corps would, I expect, be primarily Slitherine.

In all the Matrix NDA/Tester Agreements that I have signed, a free copy after testing was mentioned I believe.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 05, 2014, 02:45:47 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 04, 2014, 06:48:06 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 04, 2014, 01:58:18 PM
lol - just kidding - this seriously isn't my bag

Just can't buy your story.....you'll likely own by the weekend:)
Nope - I will disappoint you all this time...sorry, and maybe it makes me a shallow gamer, but this looks diabolical for a game in 2014. Sorry - but this wouldn't have looked out of place on my Amiga 500 back in 1990.

I totally understand a new programmer coming into the business and starting out like this - but I'm not buying a game that looks and plays as this does. I think I read here about a boardgame this is based on? If so, then I can see why some people might buy it a lot like some people were perhaps put off with the look and play style of Conflict of Heroes or Heroes of Stalingrad...but this is neither a subject I'm interested in or a style I'm interested in.

Harsh - I know...and I apologise to the developer. I'm sure he's put many, many hours of love into it.

I'm definitely keeping my money in my pocket!

You stayed rightfully strong in not purchasing wif so I do think you have the power to stay away from this too:)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ComradeP on March 05, 2014, 03:23:42 AM
QuoteIn all my beta testing, I did not get full discount. (LnL, Allied Corps, Flashpoint)

Odd. Maybe they were mostly run from the Slitherine side? Allied Corps would, I expect, be primarily Slitherine.

In all the Matrix NDA/Tester Agreements that I have signed, a free copy after testing was mentioned I believe.

All the betas I participated with matrix over the last year or so have only resulted in discounts on the games.  Prior to that, I did receive some free ones for my testing.  Like some folks mentioned it could have to do with level of participation, which seems fair since some folks might just join betas to get free games versus really help test.  Plus it seems they have increased the number of public testers so maybe they can't afford it as much as when they only had small groups.

JudgeDredd

Re WiF

I still look over at the forums now and again and look fondly at the graphic set - but it still looks like an unfinished "premium" product at the moment.

It almost sapped all my strength to not purchase it. Thankfully, the community there helped.  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 05, 2014, 05:34:57 AM
Re WiF

I still look over at the forums now and again and look fondly at the graphic set - but it still looks like an unfinished "premium" product at the moment.

It almost sapped all my strength to not purchase it. Thankfully, the community there helped.  ;D

Yep, my biggest wasted purchase (although a gift) of 2013.... Big mistake!  It is part of the reason I have been more cautious with my purchases since then.

ComradeP

QuoteAll the betas I participated with matrix over the last year or so have only resulted in discounts on the games.  Prior to that, I did receive some free ones for my testing.  Like some folks mentioned it could have to do with level of participation, which seems fair since some folks might just join betas to get free games versus really help test.  Plus it seems they have increased the number of public testers so maybe they can't afford it as much as when they only had small groups.

I joined beta testing teams early on in the beta, at least before they became more "public", so maybe that's the difference.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

You know what I think is a bit ironic.

Given Matrix "knows best", I find it hilarious that one of the few times they release a demo it does the game more harm than good.

I read somewhere someone thinking the exact same thing - that the demo didn't do the game justice and it seems he was correct. The demo showed me a very, very light, rather limited, single race experience with what seemed to be downright backward "thinking" in a game.

As it happens, from what I've been reading, there's a campaign and money involved - along with a much deeper experience than that displayed by the demo.

Lets be totally honest here - Matrix don't release a demo for complex (read costly) games because they want people to stump the money up to realise it isn't their cup of tea/isn't finished/isn't worth it. By not releasing demos for more complex (costly) games, they're simply hoping peoples intrigue will get the better of them and they'll get the cash anyway.

The demo for this was poor and as such I didn't buy. Am I likely to buy now I know different? Nope - because I'm not convinced it's something I would be into...but by releasing a bad demo, they've actually encountered the same effect they think they're avoiding by not releasing demos.

The only demo that does a game any harm is a bad demo - regardless of cost/complexity/depth.

Sorry - I guess some people would say that's a rather unfortunate, naive and negative attitude but it just made me chuckle internally a bit.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart


JudgeDredd

Yeah -  :-\ - Superb video explaining things.

Matrix need to address demos - do's and don't and think a bit more about it. The demo for this was total garbage and showed nothing that the video showed.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ComradeP

Interesting Judge, I haven't really followed what happened around release so I didn't know there was even a demo, but if it sucks then I agree it does more harm than good. It is in essence "a very light game" in terms of how you could move around, but if you treat the game like that you won't be winning.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on June 01, 2012, 12:57:49 PM
Yeah interesting eh? I used to love the chariot racing in Centurion. I am going to make a point to check this out. Seems fresh and new. I also like that the player can sign up with different 'sponsors' and also get different types of chariots and horses.

I loved Centurion, but didn't like the chariot racing mini-game at all. Mainly because I sucked at it.

Nefaro

After watching Das' videos on the game, I'm probably gonna pick it up soon after my latest Football Manager stint.  The campaign facet sold it for me.  The $20 price tag makes it a much easier decision.

Gusington

Believe it or not I have no real interest in this game right now...it was different for me two years ago!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

I'm the guy who posted at Matrix that the demo does more harm than good.  Das' videos are excellent (he has a second one up now that features an exciting race).  Matrix would be well-served to do a new demo that included part of the campaign (perhaps only one region), since the demo makes this look like a casual game for mobile platforms, and it's anything but.