Xenonauts Update (XCom Remake)

Started by airboy, September 04, 2013, 10:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

hhhmmm...this is now starting to sound like a game I must give a try......

Grim.Reaper

Before I get sucked into this game, how complete is it right now?  Are there a lot of missions included?  Is there a campaign that works?  Is it a replayable game or pretty scripted?

Kushan

Quote from: KyzBP on March 08, 2014, 05:00:37 PM
I just had to abort a mission.  I had 7 of 8 troops at the door of a small Scout.  One soldier had to hang back due to severe wounds but he kept an overwatch on the ship's entrance.  My assault team forced their way in and were met by a hail of Plasma fire.  Those troops that were still able to, returned fire.  As the dust cleared they could see 3 lizard-like Aliens taking cover in the Command Center.

I still haven't found an effective way to breach the scout ships without getting my team shot up. Opening the door, then firing a few rockets works ok, but then you won;t get the ship intact.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 09, 2014, 09:53:10 AM
Before I get sucked into this game, how complete is it right now?  Are there a lot of missions included?  Is there a campaign that works?  Is it a replayable game or pretty scripted?

Disclaimer: Been a few months since I've played.

Its still a beta. Its feeling more and more complete each build, but there's still missing text and images, and the overall balancing still needs a few passes. Last I played loading times where still a bit long, but a lot better then they were when it was first released.

Missions types are similar to the X-Com remake, you have missions where the scout lands or is shot down, terror missions, etc. I haven't personally got to it, but I believe the aliens will attack your bases.

I find it really replayable. If not for the missions. I'm constantly restarting to try and do things a little better. You do have some campaign scripted missions; capture a alien ship, capture and alien, etc, but unlike the Firaxis remake it doesn't seem to force it down your throat. Not sure what effect (if any) not doing them timely will eventually have on the campaign progression.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the additional detail...I'll have to think about this one, but does seem like it is heading down the right path.

KyzBP

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 09, 2014, 09:53:10 AM
Before I get sucked into this game, how complete is it right now?  Are there a lot of missions included?  Is there a campaign that works?  Is it a replayable game or pretty scripted?

I've been playing most of the weekend and it feels more or less complete.  There are still some placeholders and missing script but I'm cruising along, 3 game months in, and it doesn't feel anymore scripted than the original XCOM.  There seems to be plenty of mission and tile set variety.  I like the ability to form interceptor squadrons to take down the bigger ships.  If you liked the old style XCOM then this is a must have.  I don't think there's anything any closer.

Breaching the scout ships is an almost guaranteed suicide mission.  Someone will die.  So far you'd be better off getting attached to a character from Game of Thrones than any of your soldiers.  That being said, the Sergeant from the above story is now a Lieutenant and has survived an additional 2 missions.  He now has upgraded armor which seems to have greatly increased his survivability.   

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: KyzBP on March 09, 2014, 10:57:44 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 09, 2014, 09:53:10 AM
Before I get sucked into this game, how complete is it right now?  Are there a lot of missions included?  Is there a campaign that works?  Is it a replayable game or pretty scripted?

I've been playing most of the weekend and it feels more or less complete.  There are still some placeholders and missing script but I'm cruising along, 3 game months in, and it doesn't feel anymore scripted than the original XCOM.  There seems to be plenty of mission and tile set variety.  I like the ability to form interceptor squadrons to take down the bigger ships.  If you liked the old style XCOM then this is a must have.  I don't think there's anything any closer.

Breaching the scout ships is an almost guaranteed suicide mission.  Someone will die.  So far you'd be better off getting attached to a character from Game of Thrones than any of your soldiers.  That being said, the Sergeant from the above story is now a Lieutenant and has survived an additional 2 missions.  He now has upgraded armor which seems to have greatly increased his survivability.   

I know I am likely to get crushed, but I never played the original XCOM, only the newer one that came out:)  Love the reference to GOT, that alone might get me to buy it:)

Nefaro

Quote from: Kushan on March 09, 2014, 10:07:36 AM

Disclaimer: Been a few months since I've played.

Its still a beta. Its feeling more and more complete each build, but there's still missing text and images, and the overall balancing still needs a few passes. Last I played loading times where still a bit long, but a lot better then they were when it was first released.

Missions types are similar to the X-Com remake, you have missions where the scout lands or is shot down, terror missions, etc. I haven't personally got to it, but I believe the aliens will attack your bases.

I find it really replayable. If not for the missions. I'm constantly restarting to try and do things a little better. You do have some campaign scripted missions; capture a alien ship, capture and alien, etc, but unlike the Firaxis remake it doesn't seem to force it down your throat. Not sure what effect (if any) not doing them timely will eventually have on the campaign progression.

I played it back before Xmas, after a few updates had came out, and it seemed like much of the missing description text had been filled in.  At least the stuff in the beginning.  They also had some nice updates to other stuff, all around. 

It's been filled out more since you last played, methinks.  I suspect it's probably nearing official release.

KyzBP

I'm starting to get better at breaching the ships.  I've learned that grenades are you friend.  A Sniper and MG'ner with a clear line of sight into the ships doesn't hurt either.

In it's current state it is definitely playable.   ;D

KyzBP

I just had one of the craziest thing happen in an XCOM-like game.  My dropship, with my most experienced team, landed at a terror site.  The next thing I know the Aliens are rushing my ship ala a Tower Defense style game.  We were able to drop two but they made their way into the ship.  After that the slaughter was on.  Everyone was killed and, as far as I know, the Aliens are now the proud owner of a used Dropship.

Now I've been playing XCOM type games for as long as they've been out and only ONCE have I seen anything like that.  Back in the Terror From The Deep game I returned to my sub after having to abort a mission.  Inside my sub was a very angry Lobsterman.  I lost that mission as well.

I think the AI difference between Xenonauts and the original XCOM is tremendous.  They've done an excellent job.

Nefaro

One of their recent updates, just before Xmas maybe, was an AI and difficulty adjustment.  Some people were complaining that it was now too hard but that just means that it would be more enjoyable.  There is little that would make me shelve a game faster than one being a cakewalk with no risk of losing your team.  :D

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on March 11, 2014, 07:09:28 AM
One of their recent updates, just before Xmas maybe, was an AI and difficulty adjustment.  Some people were complaining that it was now too hard but that just means that it would be more enjoyable.  There is little that would make me shelve a game faster than one being a cakewalk with no risk of losing your team.  :D

And there in lies the joy of multiple difficulty settings...I for one find games that are 'too hard' far less enjoyable.  I want a challenge but I can't stand games that punish you until you figure out the trick solution (which often has nothing to do with good tactics) to beating the scenario. By having a range of difficulty settings from easy to extremely difficult can make a game more accessible to all.

KyzBP

I can assure you that this is NO cakewalk.  Just when I thought I found a tactic that worked the Aliens would either do something different or they would throw a different type of Alien at me.   It's not like XCOM where, after you get lasers and first level armor, you can complete most missions with minimal loses and have plenty of soldiers with 20+ missions.  I think the longest any of my soldiers has survived is 8 missions.  Kamikaze pilots have a better chance of coming home safely than most of my troops.   

As for the difficulty settings, there are four different setting ranging from Easy to Insane.  I've been playing on the Normal setting (one up from easy) and am being challenged regularly by a pretty good AI.  There are still a few minor issues but I'm sure those are being worked out. 

I've been playing this non-stop for about 5 days now and haven't gotten sick of it yet.  It's already created some very memorable gaming moments.  I haven't had a game do that in a very long time.  I highly recommend adding the Jsleezy Uniform Mod (http://xeno-mods.com/mod/153/jsleezy-s-real-armors) or, if you're like me, you'll have a hard time getting past the soldier screen because the default uniforms are just plain hideous.

bbmike

I've been trying to hold off buying Xenonauts until it's finished completely but KyzBP you're making that a lot more difficult.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

KyzBP

Quote from: bbmike on March 11, 2014, 10:53:39 AM
I've been trying to hold off buying Xenonauts until it's finished completely but KyzBP you're making that a lot more difficult.  :P

I pledged during the Kickstarter campaign so I had an access key but like you BBMike, I was just going to wait until it was finished before I bothered firing it up.  Curiosity got the best of me last weekend though and I fired it up just to see where it was in terms of being finished and I haven't stopped playing since.  If you're an old XCOM fan I wouldn't hesitate buying this now.  It's more playable as a Beta than a lot of the "finished" games that have been released.

Nefaro

Quote from: KyzBP on March 11, 2014, 08:21:35 AM
I highly recommend adding the Jsleezy Uniform Mod (http://xeno-mods.com/mod/153/jsleezy-s-real-armors) or, if you're like me, you'll have a hard time getting past the soldier screen because the default uniforms are just plain hideous.

Thanks a lot for the mod link.  These look great compared to the stock janitor uniforms.  :D

I may have to fire up Xenonauts soon, too.  Last time I played, it seemed like it was late beta so it must be nearing completion, down to small bug smashing & such.