Main Menu

Weekend Gaming

Started by Bison, April 27, 2012, 09:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Toonces on April 28, 2012, 01:52:21 PM

Crusader Kings 2- I have no idea what I'm doing in this game!


theres an AAR on the p'dox forums called 'parmesan cheese' or something - the guys a professional CK2 player if you know what i mean, lots of knowledge and in the AAR theres a lot of explaining why hes doing things and how to do them - even the first post has marriage guidance, what to do with council and laying out his aims for each few years - i clicked to the end and hes King of Italy and King of Leon i think - hes doing something right!

Grim.Reaper

Strangely, I am still playing the demo for Sniper 2:)  I don't know why, but this game has grabbed my attention like no other game in a long time.  I know the AI likely will stink in the full game and the campaign will be short, but every time I have even played the demo level, I have found new things to do.  Can't wait until Tuesday for the full game!

undercovergeek

its kind of sneaked up on me how many good games (from my perspective at least) seem to be just around the corner or at least on the horizon - whilst still practicing my gaming concentration on a few games, its a tempting list

CoH
HoS
Port Royale 3 - please be as good as i want it to be!
WiF - although i think i will just stare at it!
Ghost Recon

im sure theres more

plus still to buy

CK2

bob48

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 28, 2012, 02:07:01 PM
Quote from: bob48 on April 28, 2012, 02:01:22 PM
^If thats the Worthington games Band of brothers, then I was just looking at it on BGG - looks very tempting as an alternative to to the CoH EF games - similar game scale and such. Nice maps as well.

Yep, that's the one. Got my copy from the last batch of print batch 1 (after it finally shipped from Worthington thanks to serious print problems the first time) from NWS. Read the rules, messed around with it a bit, but I haven't had a chance to play yet.

I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it once you've had chance to try it out. I downloaded the rules from the Worthington site and they look pretty smooth.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 28, 2012, 04:49:15 PM


theres an AAR on the p'dox forums called 'parmesan cheese' or something - the guys a professional CK2 player if you know what i mean, lots of knowledge and in the AAR theres a lot of explaining why hes doing things and how to do them - even the first post has marriage guidance, what to do with council and laying out his aims for each few years - i clicked to the end and hes King of Italy and King of Leon i think - hes doing something right!

I like those kinds of AARs the most, as opposed to the attempted fictional works, because they detail the gameplay best and also because you learn how to play.  I also enjoy the comical ones, of course.

W8taminute

I'm trying to get through this night.  I've got 16 screaming 9 year old's running amok celebrating my daughters' birthday.  It's one of those sleepover parties.  Very little to no gaming for me tonight.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MIGMaster

You poor fucker! I've been there about 3 times over the last 2 years - you have my empathy. If I lived close by I'd drop over to give you an excuse to get outta the house !  :D

TheCommandTent

Quote from: W8taminute on April 28, 2012, 06:15:38 PM
I'm trying to get through this night.  I've got 16 screaming 9 year old's running amok celebrating my daughters' birthday.  It's one of those sleepover parties.  Very little to no gaming for me tonight.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Time to break out the hockey mask and chainsaw and scare the crap out of them  8)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

W8taminute

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 28, 2012, 06:22:55 PM
You poor fucker! I've been there about 3 times over the last 2 years - you have my empathy. If I lived close by I'd drop over to give you an excuse to get outta the house !  :D

Thanks Mig.  I would gladly accept your excuse too!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 28, 2012, 06:50:01 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 28, 2012, 06:15:38 PM
I'm trying to get through this night.  I've got 16 screaming 9 year old's running amok celebrating my daughters' birthday.  It's one of those sleepover parties.  Very little to no gaming for me tonight.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Time to break out the hockey mask and chainsaw and scare the crap out of them  8)

Hmmmm....now that sounds like fun.  Maybe I'll put on my Darth Vader mask and break out my lightsaber and see if I can win some converts over to the dark side.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Hang in there W8...I've been there. Not pretty.

If I can stay awake tonight after the rest of the family goes to sleep, I may break into Hegemony Gold. If I don't have the mental faculty to do that, maybe some Crysis 2.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on April 28, 2012, 05:52:00 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 28, 2012, 04:49:15 PM


theres an AAR on the p'dox forums called 'parmesan cheese' or something - the guys a professional CK2 player if you know what i mean, lots of knowledge and in the AAR theres a lot of explaining why hes doing things and how to do them - even the first post has marriage guidance, what to do with council and laying out his aims for each few years - i clicked to the end and hes King of Italy and King of Leon i think - hes doing something right!

I like those kinds of AARs the most, as opposed to the attempted fictional works, because they detail the gameplay best and also because you learn how to play.  I also enjoy the comical ones, of course.

this guys funny too - his wife wanted to kill him and he had a bald son with a moustache, the german king is called adolf - its a good read

Bison

#27
Quote from: Shelldrake on April 28, 2012, 07:54:15 AM
Bison, I would be very interested in your Storm over the Pacific impressions as I have almost pulled the trigger on this game several times and it is currently on sale at GG.

I'll give a better run down later on (I'm thinking about an AAR, if the grand campaign is worth a lick of salt), but here's an initial scoop of my impressions. I've only played the Guadalcanal scenario, but I'm having fun.  Is it overly groggy?  Well my 5 year old was not impressed with the graphics, so it's got that going for it.  I think that they are really nice looking map and counters.  There's sprites too, but I generally hate sprites.  Lot's of information in the various reports, which take some time to get used to how they work.  You have to click this little bar at the bottom of the report.  So to get same turn reports on my 3 supply convoys it's 3 clicks to back track through the reports.  A little weird but I've seen worse interfaces.

After I figured out how the hell to conduct naval combat the game got much more interesting, before that I was pretty much like WTF it's a naval game and the major component is broken.  They also added in a time at sea factor with the latest patch.  I have no idea what the hell that does though beyond degrade your fleets after so many days.  How many days?  Well that answer is a mystery to me.

There is a lack of overlays.  Like a complete lack beyond who owns what overlays.  I like overlays.  They make me feel in command and stuff.  So pretty disappointed in this fact.

There are some mysteries to how the game works that I haven't got a clue as to the logic.  For example in one sea zone I had 2 carrier groups, 1 battle group, 4 patrol groups.  I spot a IJN patrol group and attack, but I only get one patrol group in the attack.  You don't get to pick the group; it's done for you.  I'd have sent in the battle group to insure the IJN patrol was wiped out.  Weird but so far it hasn't resulted in too strange of engagements.  Just WTF did my battleship not attack too?

I'm still trying to figure out the mystery of the supply impact.  I know it's based on distance from supply point over ground and some other factors.  I think if you drop below 20 supply for a unit it begins to degrade the effectiveness, but I need to study this more.

Anywho I paid $30 for it from S&M, because I didn't know it was sold else where and on sale to boot.  Right now I'm not at all upset about the price I paid.  That being said I have yet to play the grand Pacific campaign which is really why I bought the game.  Something that will not take the rest of my natural life to figure out and then play a full campaign like WitP.  I don't know how the AI will handle naval movements or invasions or defend it's territory in a larger scale than a single island.  So I guess the verdict is still out for me.  I plan to start the grand campaign after later on this weekend.

It's mysterious enigma, but I like it...so far.  How's that for noncommital?


+EDIT+ I would check compatibility of patches from Matrix with Gamersgate though.  I've found GG to be pretty lacking on keeping up with patches that are for non-paradox games.  I know they release at least the beta patches only through Matrix and with Wasteland the beta patch maybe around awhile before it goes gold.

Shelldrake

^Thanks Bison. I may wait for a S&M sale (it is currently $30USD) instead of buying from GG so that patching stays current. Oh, and can someone tell me why it is cheaper to buy with USD instead of CDN at S&M when the two currencies are effectively at par?!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Bison

I'd blame the exchange rate bean counters at Plimus. 

No problem Shell, I'll give a better and more intelligent response later on.  I played for 4 hours last night trying to take the island, so it's not all bad.  I do however think the community for it is pretty much dead.  So that is not a good sign.