Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

skeptical.platypus

Damn, there are a lot of people here who's opinion I respect  really liking this game. Maybe it's time to get Endless Space out of that >5 hours played hole while Endless Legend is being completed.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on April 26, 2014, 06:15:33 PM
I bought it. It definitely has a cool feel to it. Unfortunately, I'm kind of in a gaming slump so I can't seem to play anything very long

Time to switch to tabletop gaming for a bit?

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on April 26, 2014, 08:06:14 PM
Quote from: mikeck on April 26, 2014, 06:15:33 PM
I bought it. It definitely has a cool feel to it. Unfortunately, I'm kind of in a gaming slump so I can't seem to play anything very long

Time to switch to tabletop gaming for a bit?

Nah. Not my thing. Usually I just take the time to read a few books I have stored up and I will get in the mood for something
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

#78
So for some reason this one is drawing me in...few questions before I pull the trigger....

1)  Any more feedback after playing the weekend?  I realize it is alpha so not expecting the world, but is it at least fun?

2)  Is there a pre-set number of turns for the game or do you play until you win, lose, or give up?  I always hate games with a pre-defined ending time limit so hoping that is not the case.

3)  Don't need a full comparison and maybe not even comparable, but I was originally looking at AOWIII...any thoughts on which has the better potential?  I am not great at this genre so kind of looking for something that will ease me and not overwhelm me...I do prefer one of these newer games versus games from the past.

Thanks!

tgb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 27, 2014, 04:24:37 PM
So for some reason this one is drawing me in...few questions before I pull the trigger....

1)  Any more feedback after playing the weekend?  I realize it is alpha so not expecting the world, but is it at least fun?

2)  Is there a pre-set number of turns for the game or do you play until you win, lose, or give up?  I always hate games with a pre-defined ending time limit so hoping that is not the case.

3)  Don't need a full comparison and maybe not even comparable, but I was originally looking at AOWIII...any thoughts on which has the better potential?  I am not great at this genre so kind of looking for something that will ease me and not overwhelm me...I do prefer one of these newer games versus games from the past.

Thanks!

1) It's a lot of fun, as incomplete as it is.  See my previous posts.  This has potential to be one of the classics.

2) That's a little unclear at the moment. The devs originally said that the alpha is capped at 200 turns because of memory leaks and stability issues.  You can still "win" the game by conquering the map if you can do it in less than that, but no other victory conditions are implemented.  There was a bit of an outcry about that, and the response was "Well, a winner is declared at 200 turns based on score, but you can keep playing after that.", but it's unclear if that refers to the Alpha, the final product, or both.

3)Without going into a feature-by-feature comparison, which you prefer is going to depend on your play style.  If all you care about is tactical combat, throwing spells around, and painting the map, than AoW is probably preferable, although no one really knows for sure since the combat system in Legends isn't fully in place yet.  If you are looking for more of a CIv-like experience, with diplomacy, infrastructure management, and alternative paths to victory, Endless Legends is clearly superior, even at this early stage.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on April 27, 2014, 05:07:26 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 27, 2014, 04:24:37 PM
So for some reason this one is drawing me in...few questions before I pull the trigger....

1)  Any more feedback after playing the weekend?  I realize it is alpha so not expecting the world, but is it at least fun?

2)  Is there a pre-set number of turns for the game or do you play until you win, lose, or give up?  I always hate games with a pre-defined ending time limit so hoping that is not the case.

3)  Don't need a full comparison and maybe not even comparable, but I was originally looking at AOWIII...any thoughts on which has the better potential?  I am not great at this genre so kind of looking for something that will ease me and not overwhelm me...I do prefer one of these newer games versus games from the past.

Thanks!

1) It's a lot of fun, as incomplete as it is.  See my previous posts.  This has potential to be one of the classics.

2) That's a little unclear at the moment. The devs originally said that the alpha is capped at 200 turns because of memory leaks and stability issues.  You can still "win" the game by conquering the map if you can do it in less than that, but no other victory conditions are implemented.  There was a bit of an outcry about that, and the response was "Well, a winner is declared at 200 turns based on score, but you can keep playing after that.", but it's unclear if that refers to the Alpha, the final product, or both.

3)Without going into a feature-by-feature comparison, which you prefer is going to depend on your play style.  If all you care about is tactical combat, throwing spells around, and painting the map, than AoW is probably preferable, although no one really knows for sure since the combat system in Legends isn't fully in place yet.  If you are looking for more of a CIv-like experience, with diplomacy, infrastructure management, and alternative paths to victory, Endless Legends is clearly superior, even at this early stage.

Thank you for the quick response....all that sounds great, just hoping the turn length thing is only a pre release thing versus being something that will be hard coded.

Gusington

Found it...I will try to keep Endless Legend chatter here and not in the FE thread.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

The game's graphics are top notch, along with the user interface, especially for a person like me who typically don't play these types of games.  Really a clean feel and a pleasure to look at.  No doubt it is still in alpha, have had a few crashes here and there and some times seems like the turns take a little longer (not huge, just longer).  The game currently does not include a tutorial yet (it will) which for a person like me is making it a little harder to grasp.  I don't think its this specific game per se, I think I would struggle with all games like this.  Just not sure what to do and how to do it.  The battles seem Ok to me, haven't completely figured out what strategy to use yet, but I have won some and lost some, which is always good.  In some battles, even though I had more troops, I got slaughtered which just shows me I have to pay much better attention to strengths and weaknesses

So the things that need work I see as the following (fully understanding still in alpha):

-  Fix crashes

-  Some of the battle deployment is kind of crazy...depending on the terrain, the default setup might put your troops behind terrain (i.e. hills, water) away from the enemy, by the time you can move them into position to attack, the battle is over

- Pathfinding...seems like sometimes the auto pathfinding does some crazy stuff.  I'll pick a point, it will move me in a crazy direction.  Then I choose the point again and puts me back to my original spot...kind of going back and forth.

- Need a tutorial added sooner than later so players can fully help test the game, especially newbies like myself

- 200 turn limit...hopefully just in the pre release version....I haven't reached that yet, but some of the buildings/troops take a long time to create so I can't imagine how 200 turns is enough to conquer things.  For example, one of the first quests require you to have 3 units so you have to build one first....that takes something like 7-8 turns, so kind of just sitting around.

-  Quests...so far everytime I restart a campaign, I get the same exact quests in the same order.  Are quests hard coded like that?  I hope not, would like to see different things, otherwise not sure of the replayability when using the same faction.

Overall I think I will enjoy it and I am going to commit myself to figure things out....its only in alpha but I do see the long term potential if they stick with it.

Capn Darwin

Grim,

You can reposition your troops during the deployment phase by selecting a unit and clicking on one of the shaded hexes (your color). This is vital in most battle to move to high ground or concentrate forces.

Pathfinding does seem to have a few issues dealing with cliffs at time. In many cases you may need to zoom in to see the cliffs when zoomed out moving troops. One thing that would help is a better visibility of those edges when zoomed out in "map" mode.

The game does have a time limit which is okay for the alpha. I have yet to hit it, but I've been using small worlds.

Bugs. Several. Biggest one is the land size and region size selections. Setting region size larger than the land mass size crashes the world builder every time. Also get the one off exception being throw, but the game still plays. Diplomacy is a no show right now. AIs just go to war with you. No real interaction on that front yet.

The main quest line does have the drag you by your nose feel. Side quests appear to be varied and I'm sure more quests will pop up as the game matures.

I do like the whole look and feel of the game. Shows great potential, more so if deeper modding is available after release.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks Capn...

Appreciate the tip for deployment, could have sworn I tried that without success, but will try again.  As for pathfinding, most of the issues I saw did involve cliffs so seems like that should be fixable at some point.  I do hope the quests become a little more varied (or at least don't show up in the same order) just to give a little more flexibility, but likely not a deal breaker....I do agree the game has great potential.

Now I just have to decide if even worth investing in FE:LH since the sale ends today I believe....for the experts, are the quests more varied in that game?  Just have to decide if I have room for two of these games right now:)

Capn Darwin

FE:LH is a lot of fun and there are a ton of great mods for it. Anything Heavenfall does is a must load. You can find mods in the forums for the game and at one of the Nexus sites. I just wish I had more time to play all of these cool games.  :'(
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 04, 2014, 10:45:06 AM
FE:LH is a lot of fun and there are a ton of great mods for it. Anything Heavenfall does is a must load. You can find mods in the forums for the game and at one of the Nexus sites. I just wish I had more time to play all of these cool games.  :'(

Darn it....I bought this one too:)

FarAway Sooner

Quests are very varied in FELH.  Strongest feature of the game, according to some...

Martok

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 04, 2014, 10:58:26 AM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 04, 2014, 10:45:06 AM
FE:LH is a lot of fun and there are a ton of great mods for it. Anything Heavenfall does is a must load. You can find mods in the forums for the game and at one of the Nexus sites. I just wish I had more time to play all of these cool games.  :'(

Darn it....I bought this one too:)
Sweet!  Hope you enjoy, GR.  :D 




Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 04, 2014, 11:11:22 AM
Quests are very varied in FELH.  Strongest feature of the game, according to some...
Not sure I'd go quite that far myself, but they are pretty fun IMO. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jomni

In Endless Legend, My "elven" population is very upset about my expansion. How do I reduce thus.