Main Menu

Sci Fi x4 game?

Started by TacticalWargames, May 01, 2014, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Ehhh..

MOO2 is still fun, even though it's older than dirt.   *shrug*

But my suggestion for a turn-based one was Endless Space so I deny any blame!  :P

Anguille

Quote from: Ian C on May 02, 2014, 11:57:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 11:10:57 AM
Quote from: Ian C on May 02, 2014, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 06:10:15 AM
I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king.

You mean MOO2 - what mods in particular would you suggest?

Yes. I'm talking about MOO THREE (3).  Not 2. Refer to Barth's link.

I know. That's what I originally thought then I saw this and it got all confused:

Quote from: Nefaro on May 02, 2014, 10:09:42 AM

Crap... we meant MOO2!

I hope this ain't gonna be one of those days...

BTW Jarhead, thanks for the links to Tropical here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2476.0

Just got it installed. That's my weekend gaming fixed up. :D

It's not an easy game to get into so if you have any questions, don't hesitate.  ;)

Cheers

Ian C

Quote from: Anguille on May 02, 2014, 12:51:19 PM

It's not an easy game to get into so if you have any questions, don't hesitate.  ;)

Cheers

Thanks! I've been playing MOO3 vanilla 1.5 for a week now and I'm hooked on it! Tropical works with my old savegame so I'm going to be on that tonight.
The only thing is I can't find a Prima Game Guide pdf to buy anywhere -did they bring it out in digital form?

MuzzyDev

Quote from: Ian C on May 02, 2014, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 06:10:15 AM
I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king.

You mean MOO2 - what mods in particular would you suggest?

Like I said, I heard MOO3 had improved a lot.  Let's just say I've seen to much of the sausage factory to enjoy it.  The guy who was test lead for that left the industry after it shipped.  Totally burned out.  MOO2 is great, though dated now.
Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

bbmike

I played MOO3 patched up last year and keep meaning to go back to it. I WAS having fun with it!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Anyone know of anywhere to get a manual for MOO 3? Or maybe a web site that explains how to play? I watched the "let's play" videos awile ago but still have questions
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on May 03, 2014, 12:10:16 PM
Anyone know of anywhere to get a manual for MOO 3? Or maybe a web site that explains how to play? I watched the "let's play" videos awile ago but still have questions

Manual

http://www.moddb.com/games/master-of-orion-3/downloads/master-of-orion-3-manual

mikeck

#37
Awesome! Thanks. I'm in my iPhone so will she to wait to get home since it's an RAR

Found one here too:
http://vztimg.exent.com/Prem/products/216750/manual.pdf

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Having messed around with MOO-3 for a bit, I have a hard time understanding the hate. I asked before and Jarhead thought that people were disappointed that it wasn't an upgraded Moo-2.
It took a different tack. Maybe, I never played them, but this game seems quite good. Even the "let's play" guy starts his MOO3 video talking about how much the game sucks and everyone hates it. Am I missing something? I mean, it's pretty deep. Lots of research, good ship design, detailed fleet and unit organization, decent planetary building. Heck, I even like the combat...especially watching point defense lasers blowing up incoming missiles.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bbmike

Quote from: mikeck on May 06, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
Having messed around with MOO-3 for a bit, I have a hard time understanding the hate. I asked before and Jarhead thought that people were disappointed that it wasn't an upgraded Moo-2.
It took a different tack. Maybe, I never played them, but this game seems quite good. Even the "let's play" guy starts his MOO3 video talking about how much the game sucks and everyone hates it. Am I missing something? I mean, it's pretty deep. Lots of research, good ship design, detailed fleet and unit organization, decent planetary building. Heck, I even like the combat...especially watching point defense lasers blowing up incoming missiles.

If you played the original, unpatched release you would understand the hate a  lot better.  ;)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

RedArgo

If they had released the last patched version, even with its flaws that modders had to fix, it wouldn't have been nearly so hated.  On the other hand, a lot of people wanted MOO2+, so they weren't going to be happy in any case.  If I remember right, Alan Emirch originally pitched the MOO2+, but Atari wanted bigger and better.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on May 06, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
Having messed around with MOO-3 for a bit, I have a hard time understanding the hate. I asked before and Jarhead thought that people were disappointed that it wasn't an upgraded Moo-2.
It took a different tack. Maybe, I never played them, but this game seems quite good. Even the "let's play" guy starts his MOO3 video talking about how much the game sucks and everyone hates it. Am I missing something? I mean, it's pretty deep. Lots of research, good ship design, detailed fleet and unit organization, decent planetary building. Heck, I even like the combat...especially watching point defense lasers blowing up incoming missiles.

Now you guys have me thinking about this game....I have never played any of them so I guess I wouldn't be tainted in thinking the first or second version was better.  I actually like the fact it sounds like it might have been made a little easier (less micromanagement) in the 3rd version...

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on May 06, 2014, 07:59:52 PM
Quote from: mikeck on May 06, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
Having messed around with MOO-3 for a bit, I have a hard time understanding the hate. I asked before and Jarhead thought that people were disappointed that it wasn't an upgraded Moo-2.
It took a different tack. Maybe, I never played them, but this game seems quite good. Even the "let's play" guy starts his MOO3 video talking about how much the game sucks and everyone hates it. Am I missing something? I mean, it's pretty deep. Lots of research, good ship design, detailed fleet and unit organization, decent planetary building. Heck, I even like the combat...especially watching point defense lasers blowing up incoming missiles.

If you played the original, unpatched release you would understand the hate a  lot better.  ;)


Exactly.

The original was a buggy mess.  The patches, and primarily the mods, fixed it up some. 

I actually liked where they were going with it, and I purchased MOO3 later on after I knew there were some mods & fixes for it.  But I tried playing it vanilla for a bit just to see for myself and it was indeed problematic at the time.

mikeck

Well I don't know any better. I bought it and installed "tropical mod" before I ever played it. It's a bit dated at 1024 resolution but not too bad. I dig it. I prefer distant worlds I suppose....but DW lacks something I can't put my finger on. I think it's the "pew pew pew" combat. I don't know. Still waiting for that dark, dirty and ominous space 4x instead of bright happy neon ships and hamsters in space suits.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Ian C

Quote from: mikeck on May 06, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
Having messed around with MOO-3 for a bit, I have a hard time understanding the hate. I asked before and Jarhead thought that people were disappointed that it wasn't an upgraded Moo-2.
It took a different tack. Maybe, I never played them, but this game seems quite good. Even the "let's play" guy starts his MOO3 video talking about how much the game sucks and everyone hates it. Am I missing something? I mean, it's pretty deep. Lots of research, good ship design, detailed fleet and unit organization, decent planetary building. Heck, I even like the combat...especially watching point defense lasers blowing up incoming missiles.

I never understood the hate, but for an old sci-fi guy like me, this is a game I would certainly have been elated over at release, then disappointed. I guess I can see that now.
Before I played it I liked the look of the interface because it looks like it means business, a bit LCARS and I was expecting to be disappointed once I got into it but I'm not.
I find it immersive, fun and not the steaming pile of crap I was expecting.
I never knew the pre-release hype and had zero expectations. I'm having a lot of fun as a result and it ticks many boxes for me. Somehow, this game really sparks the imagination. If I were a writer I can see myself writing some deep AAR's from this game. I may just do that.
Just simple stuff like surveying new systems, reading the demographics, designing ships and creating fleet and ground forces OOB's are what I dig. Diplomacy, battles and empire-building are an added bonus.
The Vanilla fix mod is good but the Tropical mod is better. I'm currently playing as the Humans, with a pre-game change to Monarchy with the extra points put into Military.