Main Menu

WITP Admirals Edition

Started by magnus, June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: bbmike on June 06, 2014, 05:59:49 PM
I decided to go ahead and pick this up. I've always wanted to try one of these monster games and I think the sale price is fair. Don't know when I'll get around to playing it but I eventually will.

ps - I blame panzerde and Nefaro for this purchase. Totally their fault.  :P

Alright, it only seems fair if I tempted you into doing it that I take my lumps. Caved and bought the damn thing! That's on top of having finally cashed in my coupon for Distant Worlds Universe and buying that last night too.

I had a better shot at resisting this stuff before Matrix started having sales and putting stuff on Steam!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Atilla60

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on June 07, 2014, 01:00:00 PM
Quote from: Atilla60 on June 06, 2014, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 06, 2014, 01:56:10 AM
I'm curious as to how long it's taken you guys to get to June '44 in your game.  ;D

Pheeeew, my save-game folder says since August 8th, 2010.

We started out with an agreement to send, minimum, 1 turn pr day.
Aside from a few technical issues along the way (hardware, game updates etc), Holidays and whatnot. I'd say we have managed to keep that schedule.

So it's pretty much an RTS  :)

Yes, pretty much  :)
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

bbmike

Quote from: panzerde on June 07, 2014, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 06, 2014, 05:59:49 PM
I decided to go ahead and pick this up. I've always wanted to try one of these monster games and I think the sale price is fair. Don't know when I'll get around to playing it but I eventually will.

ps - I blame panzerde and Nefaro for this purchase. Totally their fault.  :P

Alright, it only seems fair if I tempted you into doing it that I take my lumps. Caved and bought the damn thing! That's on top of having finally cashed in my coupon for Distant Worlds Universe and buying that last night too.

I had a better shot at resisting this stuff before Matrix started having sales and putting stuff on Steam!

Ha! Now how to figure out when/how to learn this beast.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on June 08, 2014, 06:16:49 PM

Ha! Now how to figure out when/how to learn this beast.

I vaguely recall details of playing the tutorial in UV a couple times.  While much has changed since then, the basics are still relevant so I'll just learn the rest as I go.  I did watch a small tutorial series some guy did on YouTube.  It wasn't terribly detailed but there were a few general pointers in there regarding hard numbers so it was better than nothing.

While you need to learn some of those hard numbers, I don't think the overall learning curve is the biggest hill to climb, but the interface and the sheer breadth of orders you must give every turn.  It's probably most difficult in coordinating the massive amount of orders (and supplies) properly than anything else.

vyshka

Quote from: Nefaro on June 08, 2014, 06:21:46 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 08, 2014, 06:16:49 PM

Ha! Now how to figure out when/how to learn this beast.

I vaguely recall details of playing the tutorial in UV a couple times.  While much has changed since then, the basics are still relevant so I'll just learn the rest as I go.  I did watch a small tutorial series some guy did on YouTube.  It wasn't terribly detailed but there were a few general pointers in there regarding hard numbers so it was better than nothing.

While you need to learn some of those hard numbers, I don't think the overall learning curve is the biggest hill to climb, but the interface and the sheer breadth of orders you must give every turn.  It's probably most difficult in coordinating the massive amount of orders (and supplies) properly than anything else.

There was a tutorial in the original WITP, but I guess AE broke that. They initially talked about working on one for AE, but it never materialized.

jomni

Orders are persistent. It only takes a lot of time during the initial turns or when there's a lot going on in many theaters. But usually there are only one or two areas with major operations going on.

WITP Tracker is your friend. Look it up in the forums and install it.

panzerde

Quote from: jomni on June 08, 2014, 07:55:36 PM
WITP Tracker is your friend. Look it up in the forums and install it.

I was wondering about this as I scanned through the forums today in a vain hope of finding anything to help learn this beast. I'll download Tracker before I take another shot at playing. Thanks.

Fired it up today for the first time and played a turn of the Coral Sea scenario.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

You won't need Tracker for small scenarios.
It's more to track stuff in the Grand Campaign.

Nefaro

#53
I jumped right into the Coral Sea scenario just fine.  But I've had the benefit of playing the old Uncommon Valor tutorial in the past so I had a general idea of what I was doing.

Someone starting fresh is probably quite lost.  I don't know if there are any good beginner guides on the 'net but I don't see how noobs can learn this thing without something which points out the basics and essentials.  Even the tutorial in the old UV manual helped me learn it easily.  Notably so since I can still remember this stuff so many years later.

bbmike

 :o I looked at WITP Tracker and all I can ask is where is the tutorial for THAT? I'm starting to think this game might have to be shelved until after retirement!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

RyanE

I played WITPAE quite a bit a few years ago.  I only played shorter scenarios of a year or less.  I thought it was a great engine for that.  It is when you start getting into the real-time four year campaign that you lose me.

undercovergeek

You're going to have to dig really deep for a start up guide for this.... they'll be in the war room section of matrix's forum..... short of that do what always works best.... read some of the aars most players will say what and why they're doing stuff

panzerde

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 09, 2014, 03:25:07 PM
You're going to have to dig really deep for a start up guide for this.... they'll be in the war room section of matrix's forum..... short of that do what always works best.... read some of the aars most players will say what and why they're doing stuff

AARs seem to be the most useful. Ah well, plenty of time to learn the game, it isn't  like there's a deadline or something...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

#58
Sure, but it's the little notable details that should be summarized to any new player, right in your face.

For example.. not being able to draw aircraft replacements (or something like that) unless you have 20k supplies at the base in question.  Or needing to set your dive bombers between 10k and 15k feet altitude for them to properly dive bomb.

Such hard numbers should be listed in a quick summary of some kind.  I'm sure there are many more.  Even the ones with soft limits, like fatigue ratings, should have a generalized deficiency scale added to such a quick guide.  I think such numbers, hard or soft, is where the real learning curve is.

jomni

#59
But you really don't need to know all of those to play (unless you want to be a details freak or a competitive player). That's the problem with details, since they are presented, you focus on them even if it's not necessary. I would just pay the game based on standard tactical knowledge and go with the flow. Learn a few things along the way. Remember that there are countless turns in the game. Many chances to experiment and learn. In the real war, nobody had rule books...they just learn as they fight.

Here's a pretty comprehensive noob guide for WITP (not AE). Most of the stuff still applicable to AE. http://mathubert.free.fr