Main Menu

WITP Admirals Edition

Started by magnus, June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn

Hi KyzBP, I am tempted to accept, but honestly I have doubts I will be able to see through to the end. :)

On a different note: what mods do you guys run your copy with?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

I loaded up the Public Beta patch on mine. 

It fixed an issue with the black mouse-over tooltip backgrounds staying open when they shouldn't be, after I added the switch to run the game at my full resolution.  So that's one immediate plus.

KyzBP

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 13, 2014, 02:48:15 AM
Hi KyzBP, I am tempted to accept, but honestly I have doubts I will be able to see through to the end. :)

On a different note: what mods do you guys run your copy with?

I hear ya.  I'm still plodding my way through Dec. 8th.  All the new ship types and bases make this game a bit daunting but I'm not going to give up this time.

KyzBP

I just found this: https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home

It's pretty helpful.  Much easier than reading through the manual.  ;)

Nefaro

Quote from: KyzBP on June 15, 2014, 09:21:48 AM
I just found this: https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home

It's pretty helpful.  Much easier than reading through the manual.  ;)

Panzerde posted that earlier.  It's a good primer!

KyzBP

Over the years I played the original WiTP about 10 times to various degrees of completion.  I always played as the Allies and I was always able to keep my original CVs safe until later in the game. 

I just started a new game of WiTP:AE, as the Allies, and it's 12/13/41.  Somewhere on the bottom of the Pacific, north of Johnson's Island, lies the watery grave of the USS Enterprise and 350 miles SE of Wake Island a giant plume of black smoke can be seen on the edge of the horizon.  The column of smoke acts as a beacon for the carriers of the IJN.  It marks the exact location of the Lady Lex as she limps slowly towards Johnson's Island.  Her fate is no longer up to her but to the commander of the Japanese Fleet.  Not only did the IJN fleet manage a successfully attack on Pearl Harbor but it also hunted down the Enterprise and the Lexington.  I wasn't ready for the AI to be this aggressive. 

Frustrating but fun. 

MengJiao

Quote from: KyzBP on June 16, 2014, 02:00:01 PM
Over the years I played the original WiTP about 10 times to various degrees of completion.  I always played as the Allies and I was always able to keep my original CVs safe until later in the game. 

I just started a new game of WiTP:AE, as the Allies, and it's 12/13/41.  Somewhere on the bottom of the Pacific, north of Johnson's Island, lies the watery grave of the USS Enterprise and 350 miles SE of Wake Island a giant plume of black smoke can be seen on the edge of the horizon.  The column of smoke acts as a beacon for the carriers of the IJN.  It marks the exact location of the Lady Lex as she limps slowly towards Johnson's Island.  Her fate is no longer up to her but to the commander of the Japanese Fleet.  Not only did the IJN fleet manage a successfully attack on Pearl Harbor but it also hunted down the Enterprise and the Lexington.  I wasn't ready for the AI to be this aggressive. 

Frustrating but fun.

That's one reason my current PBEM is using the May 01, 1942 start scenario (a mod, but an interesting one).  All the ships start in port and the Japs get no special first move (and they really don't need it --in May 1942, they have all of the DEI and lots of other productive territory -- and they still have all their carriers).  A Coral Sea Battle is quite possible since the Lexington and the Yorktown are in Noumea and three Imperial Carriers are in either Rabual or Truk.  So there's less chaos early on.

Nefaro

Quote from: KyzBP on June 16, 2014, 02:00:01 PM
Over the years I played the original WiTP about 10 times to various degrees of completion.  I always played as the Allies and I was always able to keep my original CVs safe until later in the game. 

I just started a new game of WiTP:AE, as the Allies, and it's 12/13/41.  Somewhere on the bottom of the Pacific, north of Johnson's Island, lies the watery grave of the USS Enterprise and 350 miles SE of Wake Island a giant plume of black smoke can be seen on the edge of the horizon.  The column of smoke acts as a beacon for the carriers of the IJN.  It marks the exact location of the Lady Lex as she limps slowly towards Johnson's Island.  Her fate is no longer up to her but to the commander of the Japanese Fleet.  Not only did the IJN fleet manage a successfully attack on Pearl Harbor but it also hunted down the Enterprise and the Lexington.  I wasn't ready for the AI to be this aggressive. 

Frustrating but fun.

After seeing the initial setup of the full campaign, with the historical first move on, I've also been concerned about the initial locations of my carriers.  It wouldn't take much for the Japanese carrier fleet to search south/southeast and find them in short order. 

Yskonyn

Ok guys, a question in my learning Quest:

How do you gauge 'value' in this game? In other words, how do you decide which and how many of a given ship , plane or lcu you put into a task force?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Umm..

Most Warships by class.  Carriers by how many planes they carry.  Auxiliary Cargo/Transport/Etc by carry capacity.

As for aircraft, my main concern seems to be it's ideal Mission and Range.

jomni

#100
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 16, 2014, 05:55:15 PM
Ok guys, a question in my learning Quest:

How do you gauge 'value' in this game? In other words, how do you decide which and how many of a given ship , plane or lcu you put into a task force?

Put in as many as you want. Monster fleets are the best.

Seriously, it is based on the task. Air combat? put a couple of carriers, escorts, ships with good AA. Bombardment? Use BB and escorts. Invasion? Use transports and escorts, a command ship helps as well as specialized landing ships (late war US) . Anti-sub? Use DD or smaller sold with depth charges. Support? Refuel and ammunition ships. Learn the ship classes and it will all make sense to you.

Be mindful of the speed. You don't want to put an aging slow light cruiser in a TF that can move faster without it.  You don't want to waste a fast ship escorting transports when you need it elsewhere. Speed is life especially if you play Japan doing hit and run defense.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 16, 2014, 07:41:16 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 16, 2014, 05:55:15 PM
Ok guys, a question in my learning Quest:

How do you gauge 'value' in this game? In other words, how do you decide which and how many of a given ship , plane or lcu you put into a task force?

Put in as many as you want. Monster fleets are the best.


I thought there was some kind of disadvantage to having too many warships in one TF?  As in some may not be involved with parts of the battle if it's too large.. or something.  I've been trying to keep them at a dozen or less.  The warships, anyway.  The Auxiliaries aren't really armed enough to worry about making big convoys with them although supplying bases probably doesn't require huge Atlantic-style convoys.

undercovergeek

AFAIK theres a cohesion penalty when TFs get too big

depends on what you want to do - i found a hunter TF for finding unescorted or lightly escorted convoys best made up of 3 of my fastest DDs and one fast cruiser

For escorting your carriers - i always used the composition of the KB's TF to guide what was needed

Herman Hum

Quote from: Nefaro on June 17, 2014, 12:38:31 AMI thought there was some kind of disadvantage to having too many warships in one TF?  As in some may not be involved with parts of the battle if it's too large.. or something.  I've been trying to keep them at a dozen or less.  The warships, anyway.  The Auxiliaries aren't really armed enough to worry about making big convoys with them although supplying bases probably doesn't require huge Atlantic-style convoys.
I think that large CV TFs are less responsive in combat.  I tend to keep them at about 15-20 ships even though the maximum is 25 possible vessels.

I also tend to find that the larger groups encourage more collisions between ships.  I am not positive about the correlation, but it seems that way to me.  Instead of one 100x ship convoy, I find that five 20x ship convoys yield fewer collisions.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Yskonyn

Thanks for the input, but its not quite yet what I am after;

I understand 'stats' like speed, cargo capacity, support, etc. What I'd like the know is the more tactical / strategic decision.
Bombarding a small base; how many ships do I send in. Assaulting that base, how many boots on the ground?

I find it hard to gauge these things for value or effectiveness. Or am I asking the age old question here the Cmdrs of old had to find out by just trying as well? ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."