Main Menu

Frozen Synapse

Started by RooksBailey, March 04, 2012, 01:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

I have to say that one of the coolest games to come to the PC recently is Mode 7's Frozen Synapse.  Between the slick cyberpunk stylings, its WEGO format, and some of the best music I've ever heard in a game, Frozen Synapse is a game every tactical fan MUST play at some point. 

Here's a recent match I played.  It was a real edge of your seat game where I figured I was doomed because his RPG was really laying the hurt down..but somehow pulled out a win (I'm green, and during the game LoS rules were in effect):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx6JGj1dQyw

I was happy when my shotgunner ambushed the RPG.  He made my life miserable.  ;D

FS games might be short - just a few seconds - but they seem to last a lifetime due to the tension. :)

BTW:  FS fans can look forward to some DLC soon (another campaign or additional missions, new game modes, and a new unit), as well as a port to tablets.  I think FS is made for the world of tablet gaming, so I expect it is going to do very well.

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Yskonyn

Now that we have a few games going on, let's continue in this thread. :)

Huw I managed to upload our last match with the Grenade heavy forces; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeCKWEmZsd4
Lol! It even recorded your lunch.  :2funny:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Cool, thanks Ysk!  That was a fun match - three grenadiers and one gunner each!  I have to admit that the first turn went better than I'd hoped (mostly because you forgot to move your gunner ;)) but then it was just cat and mouse, 3v1.  You were never going to recover from that!

Our first match would be a good learning match for others looking to play, so I'll try and find somewhere to upload it then I'll explain what happens during the match.

Barthheart

Hmmm.... Huw can't seem to find the right you....  :crazy2: Try sending me a game.....

Huw the Poo

OK, what's your username?

Barthheart

Ummm... Barthheart..... ;)

-budd-

yea i caught your thread and .................................reloaded FS and RT....damn i'm so easy to influence. If i get time tonight[after my list, i think today is the garage cleaning]and after a quick refresher i'm going to try get some FS in. I have a second key for red turn that i'm not sure if I already gave away yet or not if someone wants to give it a try, no promises it hasn't been used  i can't remember.

post the links to your replays it would be fun to see.

my user name on FS .....is of course .... budd......  hope i get some time to join in, always willing to play the whipping boy.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Huw the Poo

Budd I'd love to take that Red DLC key if you still have it please!  Will also send you a turn later on. :)

I'm uploading mine and Yskonyn's first battle now.

Huw the Poo

Video is up!

I'm busy right now but I'll be back later to provide some commentary.

RooksBailey

Here is the first game I had with Barthheart.  As you can see, the opening seconds were decisive as Barthheart's two soldiers were caught between a rock and a hardplace. Once I had them with the RPG, there really wasn't much he could do:



We are in a second game now and it is MUCH closer.  A real nail-biter!

PS:  I am very happy to see the renewed interest in this game.   8) 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 28, 2014, 02:34:27 PM
Video is up!

I'm busy right now but I'll be back later to provide some commentary.

OK here's what's happening.  At the beginning, I assumed Ysk's gunner would get behind the low cover as it was a pretty good vantage point, so I went around the back for an easy kill.  Unfortunately Ysk second-guessed it and had his gunner waiting for mine - an excellent kill and well deserved.

Meanwhile I knew his grenadier would stay in the room in which he'd begun, so the rocket and grenade combo was a fairly sure kill - which it was.  He'd have had to leave the room altogether to survive the first turn.

My grenadier moved into cover, while my rocket guy also sought cover.  At this point, the planner said he'd survive fire from Ysk's other gunner which is why I let him continue.  Unfortunately he didn't...if I'd realised, I'd have had him get behind the low cover just to the left instead.

I knew where that gunner was, however, so I fired a grenade his way.  I'm not sure whether Ysk forgot to move him, or he was rooted in place because he was firing at my rocket guy, but staying put was what got him killed.

Ysk's rocket launch at 8 seconds gave away his position, so I deliberately had my gunner aim in that direction, and it paid off.  Suddenly Ysk was down to his last man, that damned gunner who got mine in the first turn.  There wasn't much he could have done at this point.  I knew he wouldn't go up because he knew my grenadier was up there, so I had my gunner move around the right side of the room in the corner to set up an ambush, which the poor guy promptly ran into.

It was closer than it looked.  If Ysk had moved his gunner in the top-left corner to avoid my grenade he would've had two gunners against my gunner and grenadier.  I enjoyed that fight!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: RooksBailey on June 28, 2014, 04:18:32 PM
Here is the first game I had with Barthheart.

Heh.  Poor Bart, that was a nasty setup.  What I would have done in his shoes, knowing that friendly fire is on so the rocket wouldn't have gone anywhere else, is fire a grenade through the window - bouncing it off a wall and almost certainly killing the rocket launcher inside - then rush to cover the doorway to the right, firing another grenade inside during turn 2.  Meanwhile I would've had my gunner run down the map and heading for one of those bits of low cover.  From there he would have commanded a good half of the map and would have made short work of your advancing shotgunner.

RooksBailey

#12
And you just made short work of me!



I was feeling pretty confident after the initial exchange but everything went to heck after that.   ;D  The game was lost for me when my MG hesitated after he spotted your shotty coming up the map.  I figured you would do that, but in my planning I got the drop on you before you could close the distance.  Actual results varied.  :'(

After that your guy just went all Rambo!   :)

Edit: I like how you cleared the room!  LOL!  Also, sent a second challenge.  Is it a new feature that certain games of elimination have random capture points?  Looks like ours does!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Barthheart

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 28, 2014, 04:40:08 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on June 28, 2014, 04:18:32 PM
Here is the first game I had with Barthheart.

Heh.  Poor Bart, that was a nasty setup.  What I would have done in his shoes, knowing that friendly fire is on so the rocket wouldn't have gone anywhere else, is fire a grenade through the window - bouncing it off a wall and almost certainly killing the rocket launcher inside - then rush to cover the doorway to the right, firing another grenade inside during turn 2.  Meanwhile I would've had my gunner run down the map and heading for one of those bits of low cover.  From there he would have commanded a good half of the map and would have made short work of your advancing shotgunner.

Yep, totally botched that game. Should never have two guys crossing at a point in the open like that.
My only excuse, is I haven't played in well over a year... yeah I know it s a poor excuse but that's all I got. :buck2:

RooksBailey

Quote from: Barthheart on June 28, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 28, 2014, 04:40:08 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on June 28, 2014, 04:18:32 PM
Here is the first game I had with Barthheart.

Heh.  Poor Bart, that was a nasty setup.  What I would have done in his shoes, knowing that friendly fire is on so the rocket wouldn't have gone anywhere else, is fire a grenade through the window - bouncing it off a wall and almost certainly killing the rocket launcher inside - then rush to cover the doorway to the right, firing another grenade inside during turn 2.  Meanwhile I would've had my gunner run down the map and heading for one of those bits of low cover.  From there he would have commanded a good half of the map and would have made short work of your advancing shotgunner.

Yep, totally botched that game. Should never have two guys crossing at a point in the open like that.
My only excuse, is I haven't played in well over a year... yeah I know it s a poor excuse but that's all I got. :buck2:

No excuse needed, FS is a harsh game.   :buck2:  That is one of the things I always liked about it.  Unlike a lot of tactical games where units seem to empty magazine after magazine into the enemy with little result, FS actually has more of a realistic vibe with "one shot, one kill" being the rule of the day.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway