One reason amongst many why i'm here and not there

Started by undercovergeek, July 13, 2014, 05:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison


GDS_Starfury

The pc mindset will never take me! 

Now...  wheres a bikini clad wench?  I need a sammich made!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on July 13, 2014, 04:27:11 PM
Political Correctness is a ridiculous yet popular sub-culture that has been nurtured too much already.  It's been used to increasingly brainwash children over the decades, although it obviously didn't quite "take" on all of us.

It's just modern Revisionism and pushes the cries of Victimization to new levels, for no benefit other than political pandering or profit via litigation.  ::)

The thing is, I do agree that sexism - actual sexism, like a woman being paid less than a man at the same level, or whatever - is bad...but what's talked about over and over again in articles like these isn't sexism!  There's no conversation to have.

Further, one of the comments Tom disdainfully anticipates receiving is "Bloody white knight - you're just trying to impress women".  Now, in my book you don't get to preempt someone's argument without bothering to state your defense.  I say that "white knighting" is precisely what he's doing, to the point where he bizarrely sells out an entire gender.  Unbelievable.

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on July 13, 2014, 04:27:11 PM
Political Correctness is a ridiculous yet popular sub-culture that has been nurtured too much already.  It's been used to increasingly brainwash children over the decades, although it obviously didn't quite "take" on all of us.

It's just modern Revisionism and pushes the cries of Victimization to new levels, for no benefit other than political pandering or profit via litigation.  ::)

Well...at its worse I would agree that politcal correctness has done everything you wrote.  But at its best it teaches us compassion, inclusion and fairness over vicious, racist laden verbal barages against people who just happen to have a skin color other than their own or is gay or is of a religion other than their own. Political correctness can be a powerful positive tool as well.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Staggerwing

Careful here guys. We can always take it to the designated Free-Fire zone if there are certain things that just have to be said.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

No problems yet in what has been posted. Carry on. And someone get me a sandwich and some pie.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on July 13, 2014, 05:11:28 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 13, 2014, 04:27:11 PM
Political Correctness is a ridiculous yet popular sub-culture that has been nurtured too much already.  It's been used to increasingly brainwash children over the decades, although it obviously didn't quite "take" on all of us.

It's just modern Revisionism and pushes the cries of Victimization to new levels, for no benefit other than political pandering or profit via litigation.  ::)

Well...at its worse I would agree that politcal correctness has done everything you wrote.  But at its best it teaches us compassion, inclusion and fairness over vicious, racist laden verbal barages against people who just happen to have a skin color other than their own or is gay or is of a religion other than their own. Political correctness can be a powerful positive tool as well.

I've been seeing it used more & more for tools of censorship, revisionism, control or outright profit of some kind. 

As with anything, it's all about how much you think is the right amount.  I believe that point is regularly exceeded these days, and this is only one of the many overly melodramatic episodes we often see.  Mountains out of mole hills.   I fart in their general direction.  :P

RooksBailey

#23
Quote from: Nefaro on July 13, 2014, 04:27:11 PM
Political Correctness is a ridiculous yet popular sub-culture that has been nurtured too much already.  It's been used to increasingly brainwash children over the decades, although it obviously didn't quite "take" on all of us.

It's just modern Revisionism and pushes the cries of Victimization to new levels, for no benefit other than political pandering or profit via litigation.  ::)

I am actually glad to read your comment, along with the others in this thread. I used to read RPS and Polygon and others all the time, but now I don't because of all the politically correct BS that I have to slog through.  Somewhere along the line, game journalists have decided to follow the route of the mainstream media and dabble in left-wing politics, including militant feminism.  Polygon and RPS are particularly bad in this regard.  I am particularly amused by RPS because these fellas are always going on and on about the lack of diversity in the games industry but their little post modernist club is run entirely by white guys. 

As for the nature of political correctness: I've always seen it as an authoritarian code of conduct for an era devoid of traditional manners and politeness.   Nature hates a vacuum and all that....
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Jarhead0331

Is It really like that over at RPS? That is seriously retarded. What are they, a bunch of homos? They all deserve to be bitch slapped. It's clearly the result of breeding techniques...they must have taken their largest most politically correct writer and bred him with all of their politically correct women to make a super politically correct writer....

Look at those monkeys write.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

I don't know of any other site, gaming-wise anyway, where most of the discourse can actually manage to make jokes about such things but do so tongue-in-cheek without coming across as completely miserable misogynistic alpha males. Or make jokes about sex, violence, or other relatively untouchable subjects without actually being perceived as a mindless penis attached to a mobile organic platform that likes to kick things a lot.

I don't know if I'm explaining this right, but to me, there's a zone that we reside in, a zone that's between those that choose to view things in the worst possible light and be offended by everything and everything, and those that choose to just be over-the-top assholes with zero humor. We can make sexist jokes but we still have the utmost respect for women, for example.



Gusington

FWIW there are a couple of.women on the RPS staff.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

i dont know what demographic all the 'what? it has bikinis, i will never buy this game' belong to but i would imagine at least 90% of women would rise up and kick their ass if they won their agenda and women should sport manly clothes lest they be objectified

and im almost damn sure if a woman walked up to them in a bikini and said 'you, me - lets fk' there pants would be off in a blur of haste not seen before

BanzaiCat

Same demographic that bitches about a game like Leisure Suit Larry, completely missing the point of it.

Jarhead0331

Exclusive new video of RPS staff member confronting pro-life activists!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJ0gnzt1M8
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18