Front Page Sports Football Returning - Can this be true?

Started by Grim.Reaper, August 01, 2014, 07:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 25, 2014, 07:30:12 AM

Developer responded to my question about Multiple Seasons vs just on Season.

From the Devs
QuoteYes you can lead your team through numerous seasons, not only one. As Kruelgor said, you'll be able to watch your team progress in many ways, seasons after seasons!


That's good news.

Grim.Reaper

Feature list posted...one thing that caught my eye is them saying coaching can occur during a game, although still a little vague on it.



LIST OF FEATURES
- Create and manage your own football team. Recruit, train, and coach a roster of 53 offensive and defensive players, and compete against 32 other teams in Pro League on your way to the bowl. Being an effective coach is about developing the right skills for each player, strategizing for the games and seasons ahead, planning for the unexpected, and knowing when to push your players to the limit.

- Scout and draft new talent. Every season begins with the opportunity to draft new players according to league standings, but an athlete's data sheet reveals everything except for one vital element: Mental. The Mental statistic impacts every facet of a player's career, from training to game performance, and even life outside the stadium. It's the scout's job to uncover this information ahead of the draft.

- Recruit and negotiate. You can recruit players from opposing teams, but first, you'll have to negotiate. The owner of the opposing team will ask for compensation, of course, such as rounds of the draft, another player, or both! But, recruitment is a two-way street, and other teams may very well have their eyes set on recruiting your players.

- Set training regimens.  Training requires a careful balance between quick gains for the next game and developing better skills overall for the long-term progression of your team. You can even prepare your players for a particular play of your gameplan. Training takes place daily with multiple options from the scrimmage line to the classroom, and can be altered at any time to adjust your strategy for the games to come.

- Create your own gameplans. More than 2,300 plays are available to compose your personal offensive and defensive gameplans, with pre-made gameplans available for less-experienced coaches. Detailed diagrams allow you to build an overall strategy, while statistics allow you to see which plays have been the most effective on the field.

- Coach your team during the game. Your team will choose the best play in your gameplan for the situation, but you can also make changes on the fly, playing in real-time and using time-outs to give to your team new plays to execute.

- 2D and 3D simulations.  You can replay games in both 2D and 3D to get the most tactical viewpoint and analyze a team's performance. You can watch the games from beginning to end, by quarters, or even play by play.

- Use statistics to build the perfect team. Detailed post-game statistics  will help to determine the strengths and weaknesses of a team, while an individual player's performance in a season or even a single play can be affected by 20+ factors, including Weight, Strength, Agility, Awareness, and even Fame and Lifestyle. Knowing your players and the opposition inside and out will be crucial for developing proper gameplans and training regimens, and for recruiting the right players for your team.

- Take care of injuries. An injured player isn't necessarily out of the game, but pushing him comes at a cost. As a coach, you can see how an injury affects performance and the time needed for a full recovery. If an injured player remains active or is pulled from the practice squad too early, not only does he take twice as long to recover, but his initial injury could become worse.

Grim.Reaper


Swatter


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Swatter on September 29, 2014, 09:15:36 PM
Lets cross our fingers  O0

I am not confident enough to bet on it:)  when it is downloading from steam into my account I'll believe it....

Swatter

All of the following is based on the assumption that FPS Football is a finished, working game:

This game is screaming for custom rosters. I am assuming that most people really aren't going to heavily get into it until someone makes custom rosters. That someone is us! Since the game is so poorly marketed, I doubt there is much of a community out there for it. As a result, rosters from other sources might be awhile. Now, I have made rosters in the past for various games, so its something I somewhat enjoy doing, but I can't do it alone (at least worth a darn).

If I could get a couple of other people to help, the process would be greatly accelerated. Ideally someone who owns the current release of Madden could enter specific ratings for players into a spreadsheet by team, based on the most current roster release. Then, once we know what kind logos and team graphics are needed, someone can gather the graphics for all the teams and leagues and put them into a folder. Once the information is together, I could synthesize that stuff into a roster for FPS.

Anyone willing to help? To reiterate, this is all based on FPS functioning on a level worthy of us expending the time to make it better.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Swatter on September 30, 2014, 12:38:44 PM
All of the following is based on the assumption that FPS Football is a finished, working game:

This game is screaming for custom rosters. I am assuming that most people really aren't going to heavily get into it until someone makes custom rosters. That someone is us! Since the game is so poorly marketed, I doubt there is much of a community out there for it. As a result, rosters from other sources might be awhile. Now, I have made rosters in the past for various games, so its something I somewhat enjoy doing, but I can't do it alone (at least worth a darn).

If I could get a couple of other people to help, the process would be greatly accelerated. Ideally someone who owns the current release of Madden could enter specific ratings for players into a spreadsheet by team, based on the most current roster release. Then, once we know what kind logos and team graphics are needed, someone can gather the graphics for all the teams and leagues and put them into a folder. Once the information is together, I could synthesize that stuff into a roster for FPS.

Anyone willing to help? To reiterate, this is all based on FPS functioning on a level worthy of us expending the time to make it better.

Have they confirmed that editing players/rosters will be possible?  Not sure if I have seen that stated anywhere.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 30, 2014, 04:58:20 PM


Have they confirmed that editing players/rosters will be possible?  Not sure if I have seen that stated anywhere.


The whole modding situation is still a big question mark, as is the condition of the game.

Hopefully the release delay is just some final polishing and not some desperate hole plugging in a push to get the game out before the mid-season mark.  I like the feature list but the lack of actual gameplay footage convinces me to expect something bad.  Then I won't be too disappointed.  :P

Swatter

Quote from: Nefaro on September 30, 2014, 06:24:00 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 30, 2014, 04:58:20 PM


Have they confirmed that editing players/rosters will be possible?  Not sure if I have seen that stated anywhere.


The whole modding situation is still a big question mark, as is the condition of the game.

Hopefully the release delay is just some final polishing and not some desperate hole plugging in a push to get the game out before the mid-season mark.  I like the feature list but the lack of actual gameplay footage convinces me to expect something bad.  Then I won't be too disappointed.  :P

I agree with everything you say. I will hope for the best, but if its a disaster, I won't be shocked in the least.

JudgeDredd

I've been looking for a decent "modern" American Football sim for some time along the lines of OOTP. I know a bit more about American Football than I do about Baseball...at least, I'm more familiar with it.

But I am definitely going to hold off on this for the time being - until I see what people are saying.

I definitely "need" proper names - at least for football teams as I don't really know players or stadiums - so proper team names is important for me. I don't want to see names like Miami Fish or San Francisco 59ers or Dallas Indians!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

So far everything points to a fiction world of players and teams so the only question is how much can be modded by the community.  There is already screenshots that show you can at least mod your team name and colors but beyond that there has been no info if you can modify any of the player information so that real players can be introduced.  Although I would also prefer a game with real information, that alone won't stop my from buying it.  Game unlocks in a day and fifteen hours so I guess all the mystery will be removed then or at least when I get home from work tomorrow:)

JudgeDredd

Don't you remember the days when companies had to PAY for advertising?

I realise this is a for profit adventure, but still...the teams would be getting exposure as would the game.

Maybe you get big enough you don't need to pay for it  ::)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

BanzaiCat

IIRC the original Front Page Sports Football had the licensing from the NFL Player's Association and from the NFL, so logos, names, and player names were used throughout.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 01, 2014, 06:04:51 AM
IIRC the original Front Page Sports Football had the licensing from the NFL Player's Association and from the NFL, so logos, names, and player names were used throughout.

And without that, I have zero interest in the game. Although FPS Football makes my list as one of the games I would most like to see resurrected for modern systems, this feels like a cheap knockoff to me. If they prove me wrong, I'll gladly show my remorse by purchasing the game. Until then though.....

BanzaiCat

Yep, and that's the funny thing about American football games; if they don't have that NFL quality, they're pretty much seen as imitation knock-offs. That's a prevalent perception throughout the country and even the world, though. Semi-pro football, even including more high-profile leagues like the XFL, UFL, USFL, etc., never stood a chance in or out of the NFL's shadow.

I imagine that today the licensing $$$ requirement is a heck of a lot higher than it was in the mid-90s during this series' heyday. That would be a giant bite in the budget and a big stumbling block to overcome.

That said, I'm certain if FPS Football gets even a tiny bit of traction, there will be some dedicated fans out there that will release full mods for the game that will make it an NFL experience. And, without the NFL or Player's Association getting a dime in compensation. I admit that makes me somewhat :smitten: when I think about the NFL not getting more money.