I withdraw my support for RPS and eat a large slice of humble pie

Started by Huw the Poo, August 23, 2014, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Swatter

I am not sure what to think of all of this. It just seems like so much pointless drama. I think games (especially by large developers) are often extremely derivative, sexist, and boring. I think many in gaming journalism (regardless of gender) have serious conflicts of interest. All of this was predictable when game development studios began creating products rather than games.

I am all for people who object to the sexual objectification of women in games. Yet, you can't make a stand on the internet today on anything without subjecting yourself to the crazies. Period. I am still shocked when I hear people complain about Twitter (especially people who claim this as a justification for leaving the industry). Twitter is a cesspool of hate. For some reason, some people completely lose any sense of decency or manners when they take to Twitter. Its a fact of life, not a reason to leave your job. If you can't handle hate on Twitter, don't use it.

Its a shame when death threats are made over any topic. Its a fact of life on the internet these days, which is why I try and keep a low profile. This whole GamersGate thing is way too much drama to me. To me this is an extension of the harassment game developers used to complain about when people say their games are derivative and suck. How dare someone take to Twitter to tell them they suck. How dare mere gamers interrupt their "private" conversations on Twitter. Game developers, male and female alike, have claimed persecution for a long time.

There is so much hate on the internet, it is hard for me to get emotional about a particular flavor of it.

Nefaro

Quote from: bboyer66 on October 15, 2014, 09:19:56 AM

Anyways, am I the only asshat playing these "games", and wondering what the hell is all the hoopla about?

Better you than me.  :P


Those really did just look like simple stories, at a digital store glance.  I suppose pseudo-gamers would be the ones putting them on their 'Best Of' lists. 

Huw the Poo

Longblade, part of the problem is that while professional victims like Sarkeesian are being threatened with whatever, people on the other side are too, but you don't hear about it because the "media" is hostile to those people.  Did you know, for example, that shortly after this exploded, allies of Sarkeesian managed to dox a 10-year-old boy (who was making much more cogent arguments than they were, I should add) and threaten violence to him?  I bet you didn't see that reported on Rock Paper Shotgun, huh?

Quote from: bboyer66 on October 15, 2014, 09:19:56 AMNone of these games have left me with the memories or stimulated my mind as say the story in Red Dead Redemption, Dishonored, or Sleeping Dogs.

Great post, bboyer66, and that's a really good point.  I've played games like Proteus and Dear Esther and got almost nothing out of them.  Conversely, I remember playing one of the Call of Duty games for the first time; one of the first things to happen in that game was, as a Russian soldier defending my home village, I repelled the invading force with blood pounding in my ears, I crawled through a trench watching my comrades being killed around me, and then, looking up at the sky, I saw a crapload of tanks flying over my head as they crossed the trench!  I can remember to this day how I trembled with excitement.  That, right there, is gaming.  That's why I play games.  None of this SJW-friendly shit has ever made me feel like that.

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 08:23:32 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 15, 2014, 07:24:46 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 06:44:18 AM
This is a different individual, but the issue has now made national headlines. I wonder how many members of the press she has slept with?

She's married, and while that's not a bar to philandering, my guess is none.

The real headline is that there are miscreants out there making threats about this.

I cannot believe this. I hope the cops find whoever is behind it fast and lock them up for a good long time. Hopefully in a women's prison.

dude...while I agree with your sentiment, lighten the fuck up.

Hey, I can't buy the sex tape yet. I'm just a little tense.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.


bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Maddox speaks out about "Sexism In Games".. back in June. 

:2funny:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sexism_videogames


*Read the article, don't just watch the short intro vid*

jomni


bayonetbrant

Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2014, 07:19:37 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 17, 2014, 04:58:05 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2014, 01:28:02 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/15/anita-sarkeesian-feminist-games-critic-cancels-talk

Apparently,  some people want to commit mass murder?

Dude - I posted that exact same link about 6 posts up ;)

Sorry.  I don't really follow this thread but thought of it when I read the article.

no harm, no foul :)

I'm married; I'm used to people ignoring me
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

gamers:-



please god dont ever let people think im one of these

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 17, 2014, 05:34:11 PM
please god dont ever let people think im one of these

I've heard you say worse playing Endless Space. :P

The point of the video, though, was that these people had a lot riding on the game they were playing, and it pointed out that most other sports are the same in this regard.  I did have to check the date on the video though, seeing as it was Eurogamer...yep, early 2013.  Something tells me they wouldn't have had such a sympathetic editorial line had they done it today.

I'd rather be "bloke who swears at a game" than one of those "emancipated white knighting take-offense-on-behalf-of-all-oppressed-women self-appointed moral police why must there be so many big boobies in our games?!!!!" dickheads though.  Personally. :)

bayonetbrant

there's some funny stuff here

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/columnists/a-guide-to-the-ideas-and-words-of-gamergate/article21146512/

no, I don't agree with it all, but I can still appreciate the tongue-in-cheek humor with which it is written
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Swatter

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 17, 2014, 05:34:11 PM
gamers:-

please god dont ever let people think im one of these

Holy Crap! Those kids should be ashamed of themselves. They give every gamer a bad name.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

There should be some serious law enforcement attention on this digital hooliganism. Releasing private information and threats of rape and mass murder might seem like mean but harmless fun to the perpetrators but there need to be some lines that bring consequences when crossed.  >:(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys