Main Menu

Lords of Xulima

Started by bboyer66, November 14, 2014, 02:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bboyer66

 Just bought this because I am sick and could not stay away from the apparent old school RPG goodness.

Anyone try it yet?  Everything I read seems pretty positive.


http://store.steampowered.com/app/296570/



Nefaro

I was waffling about picking it up last night.  Had it on my want list for awhile.

After watching some vids, I'm still on the fence.  Some of it looks good, but other things such as the glacial pace of picking up shrubbery while you walk about makes me hesitate.

Also.. not sure how much content is there.  I've seen mention of 60 hours, but that may not end up being much actual content if half of that time is spent walking about on the world map clicking on aforementioned shrubbery.  ??? 

I can afford to wait and see with all the stuff I have yet to install.  C:-)

Tpek

I'm an Indiegogo+Kickstarter backer and played the Early Access.
It was pretty neat but hard back then.
Now I am waiting for all my rewards to arrive so I can enjoy the full game.

bboyer66

Well I played with it a little and so far I am enjoying it. 

Good character creation, Non Linear, Combat reminds me of Wizardry.  Like it a lot more than the much more publicized Divinity Original Sin.




Nefaro

The combat looked good enough.

My concern is the campaign part.  It looks like you're ultimately being funneled down a certain path to proceed to the next area.  Is this the case?

I recently picked up Elminage Gothic for something in this genre.  It looks like it might be enjoyable but the obvious console/handheld port UI side effects just drive me absolutely nuts.  This may be a better fit.

bboyer66

Quote from: Nefaro on November 17, 2014, 08:32:07 PM
The combat looked good enough.

My concern is the campaign part.  It looks like you're ultimately being funneled down a certain path to proceed to the next area.  Is this the case?

I recently picked up Elminage Gothic for something in this genre.  It looks like it might be enjoyable but the obvious console/handheld port UI side effects just drive me absolutely nuts.  This may be a better fit.

Im sure there is some funneling in the way that some areas have tougher monsters than others. Your naturally going to go where you wont get slaughtered.
The game just really has a good feel to it so far.


Nefaro

Quote from: bboyer66 on November 17, 2014, 11:04:18 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 17, 2014, 08:32:07 PM
The combat looked good enough.

My concern is the campaign part.  It looks like you're ultimately being funneled down a certain path to proceed to the next area.  Is this the case?

I recently picked up Elminage Gothic for something in this genre.  It looks like it might be enjoyable but the obvious console/handheld port UI side effects just drive me absolutely nuts.  This may be a better fit.

Im sure there is some funneling in the way that some areas have tougher monsters than others. Your naturally going to go where you wont get slaughtered.
The game just really has a good feel to it so far.

Resistance... melting.

The price isn't bad.  I'll pick it up eventually.

Huw the Poo

The deluxe version of this is on sale at GOG at the moment.  The standard version (and not much else in my opinion) is also included in the Humble Weekly Bundle ($13 minimum for Lords of Xulima).

Shelldrake

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 16, 2015, 01:41:28 PM
The deluxe version of this is on sale at GOG at the moment.  The standard version (and not much else in my opinion) is also included in the Humble Weekly Bundle ($13 minimum for Lords of Xulima).

I picked up the deluxe version from GOG yesterday. Looking forward to some old time RPG fun.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Rayfer

The combat part reminds me of Might and Magic X: Legacy. Haven't played Xulima so I can't say for sure.

Greybriar

I was going to buy Lords of Xulima, but after reading that it is necessary to keep the left mouse button depressed while moving your character I decided not to.  :(
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

You can move with the keyboard too.

Greybriar

#12
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 19, 2015, 03:11:39 PM
You can move with the keyboard too.

Is it strictly WASD or can the keys be remapped?

EDIT: I found part of the answer to my question on page 13 the Lords of Xulima .pdf game manual:

Arrow Keys or WASD - Move the character.
ALT - Toggle the default movement speed between Walk or Run.
Hold SHIFT - Run/Walk (depending on the default movement speed).


I think I'll buy the game now.  :)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

They can't be remapped yet, although apparently that will be added later.  I've just read that the arrow keys work as well, though.

Greybriar

I never did like the WASD method of movement. If a game did not permit remapping the keys or using the arrow keys, I simply wouldn't buy it.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.