GOG to start selling LucasArts games

Started by Huw the Poo, October 28, 2014, 02:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

Ummm... it's not the game that's aged......  ;)

Tpek

Quote from: Barthheart on January 22, 2015, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

Ummm... it's not the game that's aged......  ;)

So true.

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

I guess I'm old but I don't think it looks that bad.  :D


Doesn't look bad for something that came out in 1998.   

Now if we could just get WH40K: Chaos Gate on GOG, I'd have the '98 releases I most wanted.

Anguille

Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 22, 2015, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
After seeing Star Wars Rebellion finally showed up on GOG, I insta-purchased.  O0

The 3D fleet battles never looked very good, but it's strength has always been in the unique grand strategy part.  :)

FTW!
I remember how I loved this game back in the day.

Though I'm saddened to see how much the game has aged since its release. :(

I guess I'm old but I don't think it looks that bad.  :D


Doesn't look bad for something that came out in 1998.   

Now if we could just get WH40K: Chaos Gate on GOG, I'd have the '98 releases I most wanted.

Actually it does. Birth of the federation and imperium galactica looked much better. Still a must buy for the gameplay.  O0

Tpek

^They came out after Rebellion did.
I remember having already played Rebellion when BOTF was announced.

Anguille

Quote from: Tpek on January 22, 2015, 04:25:48 PM
^They came out after Rebellion did.
I remember having already played Rebellion when BOTF was announced.
Imperium Galactica was released in 1997 and Botf had been started before Rebellion if my memory is correct.  ;)

Nefaro

BotF came out after Rebellion.  Maybe a year later?

No matter.  I actually enjoyed playing Rebellion more than I did IG2.  Probably more so than BotF even.

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2015, 11:16:27 AM
If you mean that screenshot upthread, those aren't add ons. SWOTL was an upgrade and repurposing of the engine from "Their Finest Hour" (sort of like "Bombing the Third Reich" from "Eagle Day"). I can't recall where the Pacific game came in that sequence, but it was also a standalone version of the engine.

If you mean something else, apparently I've slept since then. ;) (Swotl has add-ons? Why did I not remember that? Or ever get them?!)

If you're satirizing the modern propensity for add-ons compared to how things went back then...  >:D

SWOTL was a natural followup to TFH but did have add-ons, though. They were called 'Tours of Duty' and each added a new aircraft, for a total of four: The P-80, He 162, the P-38, and the Do 335. IIRC All were included in the air Combat Classics collection.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Anguille

Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 07:26:17 PM
BotF came out after Rebellion.  Maybe a year later?

No matter.  I actually enjoyed playing Rebellion more than I did IG2.  Probably more so than BotF even.

Don't understand me wrong, i really like Rebellion and have it now from Gog. The First IG was released in 1997 and looks imho better than Rebellion. Work on Botf started early but it was released early 1999...not so much later than Rebellion and the battles look so much better imho. But as you said, it's not that important.

PAK

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 22, 2015, 07:27:26 PM

SWOTL was a natural followup to TFH but did have add-ons, though. They were called 'Tours of Duty' and each added a new aircraft, for a total of four: The P-80, He 162, the P-38, and the Do 335. IIRC All were included in the air Combat Classics collection.

That's what I've found on mobygames when I browsed info on SWOTL - to my surprise. Never got hose tours.
Would be quite interesting to play again both games (iirc I managed to win both German and British TFH campaigns) although I still remember that the game engine had some nasty surprises, especially if You were trying to fly very low. After all these were raster graphics based games.

bobarossa

I browsed my BOOM (Box Of Old Manuals) and found the SWOTL manual and code wheel as well as the P-38 and DO-335 manuals.  I had completely forgotten that there were add-ons. 

I loved Rebellion back when it came out except for one extremely nagging problem.  You couldn't just tell an intelligence team to keep spying on a planet until it was recalled.  You had to keep sending it out again and again.  The message queue would be full of them reporting in and every one would require you to send them out again.  Probably the only thing I wish could have been fixed.

Great Ajax

A couple of must haves for X-Wing Alliance.  X-Wing Alliance Ship Upgrade Pack recently remastered for the GOG release.  Also includes new definition space features such as planets.  Note, that the patch was taken down yesterday to fix some issues but should be back up. 

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/viewtopic.php?p=147913#p147913

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy_5hqSeTUk

Make sure you get the X-Wing Hacker tool that allows you to play in resolutions greater than 800x600.

http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwing_and_tie_fighter_series/xwa_flight_engine_locked_at_800x600/page1

Was playing the hell out of Rebellion yesterday when it crashes and lost two hours of gameplay.  Its hard to keep playing when crap like that happens.

Trey


Martok

Although I already own physical copies of both, I picked up both Rogue Squadron and Star Wars: Empire at War.  Excited! 


I purchased RS again because I've had trouble running the disc version.  Am pleased to report the GOG version runs just fine. 

As for EAW, I'd only ever owned the vanilla version, as the Forces of Corruption expansion had long included some sort of odious DRM that I refused to allow on my computer.  Now that it was available on GOG, I figured it should be safe to get; can't wait to try it out! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

For some reason I can't get Rogue Squadron to recognize my XBox controller. Other games see it but not RS.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak