War Thunder Ground Forces is testing hardcore sim mode this weekend

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, January 17, 2015, 01:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on January 27, 2015, 12:18:57 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 26, 2015, 09:38:16 PM
Mostly I got sick of the over the hills, through rocks and trees kills that people were getting on me in arcade mode.  I'm not sure it was a hack so much as the use of green, yellow, and red indicators on the cross hairs.  OK.  I'm pretty sure one jackbag was using a hack of some sort, because he would seriously shot over or around or through hills to hit people.

There are some spots where rounds can fly through the terrain.  I've usually noticed it near areas where the huge boulders and the regular terrain are near each other.  I think it's more an issue of the collision detection on certain map locations.

Of course, when all your opponent must do is aim below your name tag and move the magic crosshair around until it lights up, then they will be able to find those little slivers of space much more easily. 

I don't mind playing Arcade Battles in the aircraft but I can't stand the aim crosshair cheat for Arcade Ground Forces.  That's just too much.

Exactly.  I'm not sure how anyone finds joy out of exploiting a bug or game feature.  Just sit in the same spot for 15-20 minutes at a time and shoot the poor bastard who cross over the hills and through the woods to the magical kill spot.  Those people suck.

Bison

Quote from: jomni on January 27, 2015, 07:03:34 AM
There are mixed battles?

Yeah.  I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I have flown a plane and driven a tank in the same battle.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Bison on January 26, 2015, 09:38:16 PM
I don't understand all of the research and crew training aspects yet, but it's still good fun.
A tip I can give on the research, though this has a more profound effect at higher tiers:  sometimes you will be super close to unlocking a module (18924/19000) and it will cost like 5 gold eagles to unlock.  If you unlock with eagles you don't have to pay the lion cost, and can essentially convert your eagles to lions at considerable higher than the exchange rate.  If you have a few eagles laying around, I think it is worth it.  A module that costs 30k lions, a battle earlier, for 2 eagles?  Sounds good!

As for the crew skills, I highly suggest you research on the WT forums and find out what ones currently have an effect.  That has been changing over time, but its pretty darn important not to be dumping points into a skill that isn't doing anything.  For example, I think leadership is now working, but I don't know the significance of the effect.  Is it worth waiting for the 300 point 49/50 for reloading before going 30-35 on leadership for the same points?  Is my tank already at its maximum reload speed?   Does driving have any effect if you manually switch gears?  Who knows! :)  That is certainly one area they could improve upon. 


Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 27, 2015, 07:04:29 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 27, 2015, 07:03:34 AM
There are mixed battles?

Yeah.  I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I have flown a plane and driven a tank in the same battle.

Sim Battles has both.


Of course, you'll have issues controlling an aircraft in Sim mode without getting it all set up.  Tanks are no problem on the other hand, there being no separate control scheme to mess with (it's all UI related changes).

I tend to just run a tank in Sim Battles and pass on respawning in an aircraft after I'm dead.  I think a lot of people do that because they likewise avoid the aircraft in Sim Mode, probably giving up on trying to tweak the flight control schemes as I did.


EDIT:  You can also mix them in Realistic Battles, but they cost a lot in Respawn Points.

Dread Rlyeh

one of the great mysteries:  can anyone explain how the BR system works for two tanks in the .6 range, the third outside?  I understand how 1 tank in the range works, ie, 7.0,5.0,5.0  is equivalent to (7+6.4)/2, and I understand 3 tanks in the range, but what about 2?  What if you have 7.0,6.7,5?  Does that count as (7.0+6.4)/2?  Due to rounding up, this matters vs 7.0,6.7,6.7.  Not a huge deal, but I think it would be nice to minimize BR until vehicles have a repair kit+fire suppression.  I would much rather increase my odds of a "fair" fight and have a semi-junker as my 3rd.  Not too many times one guy is going to turn a loss into a win, by himself, based on his 3rd tank.

http://warthunder.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Rating_Calculation

Nefaro

They've changed the match-making calculations so many times, I've lost track of how it's done.

I generally just try to place a battle rating ceiling based on the main tank or aircraft I want to fly first in the match and then put in other stuff with the same or lower BR after establishing that.

Dread Rlyeh

I've got a small sample size, but if t32 is my top at 7.0, I find that I'm facing is-4 and t54s way more than I would like, which is never.  T32 is pretty much dumpster tier, even after the shell change.  Granted, I have like no modules unlocked, but the main issue is penetration and that the supposedly (by the numbers) god mantlet gets owned by the 122 RNG.  My m46 at 6.7 seems to get way better matchups, so if there is any way to get my overall BR at 6.7 with one 7.0 tank, one 6.7 tank,  I would love to give that a whirl for a change. 



Nefaro

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on January 27, 2015, 06:22:50 PM
I've got a small sample size, but if t32 is my top at 7.0, I find that I'm facing is-4 and t54s way more than I would like, which is never.  T32 is pretty much dumpster tier, even after the shell change.  Granted, I have like no modules unlocked, but the main issue is penetration and that the supposedly (by the numbers) god mantlet gets owned by the 122 RNG.  My m46 at 6.7 seems to get way better matchups, so if there is any way to get my overall BR at 6.7 with one 7.0 tank, one 6.7 tank,  I would love to give that a whirl for a change.

That wiki link says they only count BRs within 0.6 for the average.  So you'd probably have to use your T32 with BR 7.0 and two with BR 6.4 or 6.5 to average it down.  I don't think the game has that many tanks in one nation, with those BRs.  Only 6.3 which is too low to be counted along with the 7.0.  Maybe one 6.5 but you would need two of those to make the average 6.7.