Big winter storm on the way!

Started by Shelldrake, January 26, 2015, 07:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

W8taminute

Wow that does suck Con.  Hopefully your wife doesn't have to work the graveyard shift. 

Banzai you've got plenty of friends up here so come on up!  (I know easier said than done but you get the idea)   8)

Hey Bob I bet those 2 inches you're getting are coming from our neck of the woods! 


Just finished up snow blowing my drive.  26 inches on the level area with well over 30 inches at the mouth of the driveway where the snow plow came.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Shelldrake

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 27, 2015, 03:03:52 PM

How are the Maritime Canadians doing through all this? Are you guys now getting the snowjob over there too or are you still forming a line?

Still pretty gusty here in Halifax but snow has changed over to ice pellets/rain. City pretty much closed down today but really not that bad. I managed to get out today for a meeting and my Civic did ok, although I would have preferred my wife's 4x4 SUV except its driveshaft is splayed out on the floor at our mechanic's garage.  :tickedoff:
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 27, 2015, 03:03:52 PM
Damn Mirth. When is it supposed to stop snowing up there? The big stuff is over and we're looking to get just a few intermittent flakes now.

Supposed to stay steady through 10pm tonight. Then intermittent until at 2am Wednesday morning. We are in one of the heaviest snow bands.

Saying this is going to be a Top 5 storm in snowfall for Portland with potential to be #1 , topping the 32 inches that was dumped on us in Feb. 2013. Yay.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Officially we have 19 inches on the ground. It's blowing and drifting all over the place. So some areas are nearly bare while others have drifts several feet high.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I think we topped out at about 16-18 inches with the same pattern of some places being just a few inches and others as much as three feet. The drifts just happened to be on all the places that needed shoveling.  :(

Good thing my neighbor helped me finish with his snowblower. I'm beat as it is.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Good that you guys still have power. And heat.

Staggerwing

Luckily electricity never went out. The snow was very fine and didn't pile up on the branches over power lines, just got blown all over frakk and back. The local outages that did occur were likely due to the wind blowing down trees and to a dipshit or two running into a pole.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Quote from: W8taminute on January 27, 2015, 03:18:20 PM
Wow that does suck Con.  Hopefully your wife doesn't have to work the graveyard shift. 

Banzai you've got plenty of friends up here so come on up!  (I know easier said than done but you get the idea)   8)

Hey Bob I bet those 2 inches you're getting are coming from our neck of the woods! 


Just finished up snow blowing my drive.  26 inches on the level area with well over 30 inches at the mouth of the driveway where the snow plow came.

Yeah, I think we're just due to get the edge of it - you can keep the rest :-))
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Glad your son did not need to go to the doctor/hospital 'Wing. Mirth if you make me a hot toddie I'll be up to your place in about a week to clear your drive. We got all of three inches...I feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween.

For the record I was wearing Yaktrax when I opened my face on the three inches of ice. They don't so shinola on ice.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 27, 2015, 05:33:13 PM
Luckily electricity never went out. The snow was very fine and didn't pile up on the branches over power lines, just got blown all over frakk and back. The local outages that did occur were likely due to the wind blowing down trees and to a dipshit or two running into a pole.

No power loss here either. Fortunate. Wind is still howling.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on January 27, 2015, 07:48:41 PM
For the record I was wearing Yaktrax when I opened my face on the three inches of ice. They don't so shinola on ice.

Yikes.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys