Best WWII Eastern Front PC Games - Sims, Tactics, Strategy

Started by Gusington, February 03, 2015, 10:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Father Ted

The Pirahana  Brothers would have sorted it - vicious but fair

Gusington

Great post sandman. A new book on relations between Germany and Russia from 1939 to 1941 was just released...I'm on my phone so I can't link it...but I wonder if this new book's thesis is similar to what you said above.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Father Ted on February 06, 2015, 07:02:03 PM
The Pirahana  Brothers would have sorted it - vicious but fair

Now we'll see who really knows their Monty Python, Ted. ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Boggit

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 05, 2015, 05:57:56 PM
Stay away from Glantzs book on Leningrad though. Lots if info, vetty detailed and possibly the worst written book I've ever read.  I think its unique in that ita the only book I can think of that I never finished and didnt want to.
I have his "Before Stalingrad" - fantastic research, but a dull read IMHO. As a historian, Glantz' research is superlative - 10/10, but as a writer he needs to develop a style that will engage his reader rather than boring them to sleep. It kind of undermines his outstanding research when you appreciate the facts but you find yourself glazing over at the presentation of them.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bob48

I really thought that Antony Beevor's Stalingrad book was very good - quite harrowing in parts.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

sandman2575

Quote from: bob48 on February 07, 2015, 05:31:28 PM
I really thought that Antony Beevor's Stalingrad book was very good - quite harrowing in parts.

+1 -- Beevor's a terrific writer, as is Hastings.

bob48

His book on the Spanish Civil War is an incredible piece of work - highly recommended.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Boggit

@Gus :)

You could try John Tiller's Campaign series published by Matrix, or Panzer battles Kursk for combat at the platoon level (each unit is a platoon). If you want to go even further back to the East Front, Revolution under Siege by AGEOD is interesting (Russian Civil War 1918-23).

BTW a really good Eastern Front read is Penalty Strike: The Memoirs of a Red Army Penal Company Commander, 1943-45 (Stackpole Military History Series) by Alexander V. Ply'cyn. It's a good read despite the title, which sounds like something out of a soccer game... ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penalty-Strike-Commander-Stackpole-Military/dp/0811735990


The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

If we're talking books...

Vasily Grossman's "Life and Fate" and Guy Sajer's "The Forgotten Soldier" should be on your list

GDS_Starfury

while not strictly Eastern Front I highly recommend Hans Von Luck's Panzer Commander.
possibly one of the best WW2 reads ever.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


TacticalWargames


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.