Galactic Civilizations III trailer!!

Started by Martok, October 15, 2013, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

tgb

Diplomacy was added with the current build.  As of December's, it's supposed to be feature-complete, with only polishing and balancing left to do

Martok

Quote from: bbmike on November 18, 2014, 07:38:42 PM
I read somewhere that combat wouldn't be added until December. Not sure about diplomacy. I do know it's not feature complete.
My understanding is "combat" is pretty much supposed to be another (boring) hands-off affair like before, so what does it matter if it's added yet or not?  Just pick it up now if you can get it for cheap. 




Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 18, 2014, 08:05:06 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 18, 2014, 06:53:53 PM
Looks like you can pick this up for 50% off from the star dock store using code stardock50.  Sounds like you get a steam code and only costs $22.  Wonder if worth it now?

http://www.galciv3.com/store
Only problem now is I've just got Endless Legends and it is rather fun, Endless Space is getting a new patch next week, I've just started a new Civ V game as Arabia, Horizon has just got an update, recently bought Warlock 2 on a discount, I really should be playing Distant Worlds having bought every expansion from the start, bought Civ Beyond Earth just after release with a 50% discount, have Pandora and its expansion and last but by no means least rather like Armada 2526 and should play it more.

Oh and by the way I've got to work for a living as well  :)

Heh.  That sounds so very familiar...  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Ha, we should all do a Powerball pool and when one of us hits it, we all share in the glory so we can do nothing but play games full time.

Err...and write reviews, of course.

Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2014, 12:22:50 PM
Ha, we should all do a Powerball pool and when one of us hits it, we all share in the glory so we can do nothing but play games full time.
Ah.  To live the dream...  :crazy2: 




Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2014, 12:22:50 PM
Err...and write reviews, of course.
Someone will have to double up to cover Star's contribution. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Wolfe1759

Quote from: bbmike on November 18, 2014, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 18, 2014, 08:05:06 PM
Endless Space is getting a new patch next week

Really? That's great!

Also releasing a free add-on Endless Space: Chronicles of the Lost with the patch and Endless Legend is getting a free add-on as well.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

FlickJax

At £14 i had to get it, wont play till release though.

bbmike

#97
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 19, 2014, 01:57:43 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 18, 2014, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 18, 2014, 08:05:06 PM
Endless Space is getting a new patch next week

Really? That's great!

Also releasing a free add-on Endless Space: Chronicles of the Lost with the patch and Endless Legend is getting a free add-on as well.

Well, I'm off to re-install Endless Space now.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

Quote from: FlickJax on November 21, 2014, 07:54:34 AM
At £14 i had to get it, wont play till release though.

I'm doing the same thing. I bought it yesterday for $22 and won't think about it again until the game is finished.

Grim.Reaper

So I see this is currently 50% off again ($25) and a number of beta releases have occurred with an estimated official release in May.....for those that have previously bought in, any updated impressions?  I am tempted to jump in since the pricing is right and not sure how many more times it will be this cheap before release, but seems to be really mixed reactions from everywhere I read.

W8taminute

I've spent a good amount of time with the latest beta patch update recently.  It's not a bad game.  My only minor disappointments are:

1.  Each planet only has enough land slots on them for a limited amount of structures to be built on them.  Makes for some interesting decisions but I feel too limited.

2. Which brings me to the number of habitable planets in a medium sized galaxy.  There's not much.  Once all the factions have grabbed what little is out there you're pretty much forced to go to war to get more.  If you only got to grab say 3 planets and your neighbors have 5 or 6 good luck to you.

3. Combat.  There is no tactical battles.  You send your ships to fight and then watch a screen as the action takes place.  Rock paper scissors pretty much.


On sale it's an ok game sure to entertain for a while.  At full price I would stay away from this game. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

Surely the number of habitable worlds per system can be tweaked in the game setup?  It could in GalCiv 2.

W8taminute

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 01, 2015, 11:34:05 AM
Surely the number of habitable worlds per system can be tweaked in the game setup?  It could in GalCiv 2.

Hmm...I'm not sure.  I'll have to revisit the new game setup menu. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

I'm hoping this turns out to be a good game, because Stardock have hinted strongly at Linux support and are rumoured to be making some kind of announcement to that effect at GDC.  O0

fabius

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 01, 2015, 10:17:07 AM
So I see this is currently 50% off again ($25) and a number of beta releases have occurred with an estimated official release in May.....for those that have previously bought in, any updated impressions?  I am tempted to jump in since the pricing is right and not sure how many more times it will be this cheap before release, but seems to be really mixed reactions from everywhere I read.

I saw that 50% look again and came to same conclusion: without having tried it, it looks far too much like 2 did... and no combat as anticipated.

So I'm saving the x4 game fund and time for something in the pipe that grabs me. Stardrive 2, Mandate... possible