Fields of Fire

Started by bayonetbrant, March 13, 2015, 03:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 13, 2015, 03:12:39 PM
Quote from: bob48 on March 13, 2015, 02:59:11 PMAs far as I can see, no such game presently exists that does that.

au contraire...  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22877/fields-fire

and for deeper discussion on that one, please open a separate thread so we don't derail this one :)

Quote from: bob48 on March 13, 2015, 03:15:09 PM
Fair comment. I should, however, have been more specific and said 'board game'. As I understand if FoF is primarily a card based game?

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Any good? 

I noticed this one awhile back but haven't got around to investigating it yet.  Been enjoying many solitaire strategy card games in the past couple years so this definitely qualifies.

bayonetbrant

I know quite a few guys with combat experience that all swear by it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Looks like a Counter Cookie Monster just threw up on the table!   But, I have heard good things about it, in a either love it or hate it kind of way.

I'm still waiting on Airborne Commander which I backed on KickStarter..... look good.


PE

TacticalWargames

Really want this when the second edition is released.

Rekim

I think it's fair to call FoF the most exciting solitaire wargame that I've played to date. Tense situations abound thanks to a challenging AI. The strong focus on command & control and unique game system really set it apart from the rest. The only downside was how difficult it was to learn. The first rulebook was full of ambiguities. It has been updated and no doubt improved.

Nefaro

Quote from: TacticalWargames on March 13, 2015, 04:55:26 PM
Really want this when the second edition is released.

Hrmm.. 2nd edition? 

Sounds like a plan.

GJK

2nd Edition and 1st Mar Div expansion are on pre-order (for some time now).  Can't wait to get in to those.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on March 14, 2015, 01:13:13 AM
2nd Edition and 1st Mar Div expansion are on pre-order (for some time now).  Can't wait to get in to those.

+1.  The first edition commands crazy prices on ebay, often over $100.  So I wait for the 2nd edition. 

Sadly, the 2nd edition has been slipping on the reprint schedule.  On the June 2014 GMT update, FoF was listed as a 1Q 2015, but as of the last GMT update, FoF is now just a "candidate" for 3Q/4Q. 

But I don't take GMT update too seriously.  Ukraine 43 was in the same boat as FoF, and I was just notified they are starting to charge for it.  So maybe another "miracle" will occur with FoF.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jomni

#9
Quote from: Nefaro on March 13, 2015, 04:01:10 PM
Any good? 

I noticed this one awhile back but haven't got around to investigating it yet.  Been enjoying many solitaire strategy card games in the past couple years so this definitely qualifies.

It's a good system.  Great focus on chain of command and lines of communication.  In WW2 your phones are connected by wires so you need to lay the lines per terrain card (you have limited cables and they might get destroyed), in Korea you get better radios, and in Vietnam you get the big long range radios.  There's also visual / verbal communications by shouting and hand signals if there is no radio equipment. 

Combat resolution is sleek with the Primary Direction of Fire rules.  There are mechanics for casualty evacuation.  It matters because the losses are persistent throughout the campaign.

But the game is a bookkeeping HELL!  Look at all those counters. This is what stops me from enjoying the game.  Maybe good to have a PC version.

Nefaro

Thanks for the summary Jomni.  Sounds like something I'd be up for, despite the marker hell.

Cyrano

As much as I yearn for an "Up Front" reboot (and I yearned myself out of a fair amount of money in the KS), this just never appealed to me because of the marker overload.

At a certain point it seems to me, as Nefaro intimates, you're better off playing a computer game...especially as this one is solitaire only.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Rekim

Don't be deceived by messy/cropped image of FoF play above. While FoF may not be a feast for the eyes like many contemporary games, it doesn't  have to look like a dogs breakfast when being played. It really comes down to personal taste, patience, and/or degree of OCD.

WRT the counter density; in my experience a typical game will see no more than 100 chits used. A small number as wargames go (the popular DVG games being an obvious exception)

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers