Happy Easter Game Sales!

Started by Lord Zimoa, April 03, 2015, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

airboy

Is Distant Worlds: Universe worth it at this price?

I have lots of games stacked up - so this would be added to the backlog.  This is a "is the price low enough compared to the Christmas Sales" to justify purchase.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

JasonPratt

Well, the Christmas Sales are typically 30% off; the only difference in this case is that the sale counts once, for one basket.

I originally had, like, 15 things in my basket before a semblance of sanity took over. (I think Case Blue ended up being 51% off: a 30% discount for buying it with Blitzkrieg, on top of the Easter one-time 30% discount!)

Distant Worlds Universe is quite surely the premium space 4X today, highly polished, mod-friendly so great mods are out there, too. If that's the kind of game you want, you should consider it. But it's, like, CommandOps2 x WarInThePacific/East/West deep. (The CommandOps comparison is apt in that you can delegate a ton.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

DW:U is a great title but very deep.  As in "I spent a couple hours watching YouTube tutorials to learn the basics of different parts of the game" deep. 

It's not so much micromanaging, as the game runs fairly well without micromanagement--but it allows micromanagement in a bunch of different aspects.  Want to put the rest of your empire on auto-pilot for a few months and lead your main fleet in an assault on the pirate base that's been harassing you for the first 8 years of the game?  You're free to do so!  Want to carefully pick mining platforms to deliver choice resources to your home planet in anticipation of [insert new technology here].

The game is so deep that it's daunting, but it's also pretty wonderful.  I'd be lying if I said that I ever completed a game, but I sure enjoyed starting a bunch of them up and even got pretty far in two or three times!  For myself, I think I got too busy micromanaging and didn't focus on the important stuff, but if you like puzzle-solving, it's got it galore.

FarAway Sooner

Coupon link doesn't work for me, BTW!

WallysWorld

Many thanks for the coupon!

I just bought Hannibal: Terror of Rome. That completes my AJE collection.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

smittyohio

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2015, 09:14:02 AM
I picked up the decisive campaign games (Blitz and Case Blue), plus the chariot game and the new Flashpoint Campaigns.

MY WALLET IS 30 PERCENT HEAVIER!  :D O0

Did the 30% apply for the whole order, or did it just apply to one game?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: smittyohio on April 05, 2015, 07:51:52 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2015, 09:14:02 AM
I picked up the decisive campaign games (Blitz and Case Blue), plus the chariot game and the new Flashpoint Campaigns.

MY WALLET IS 30 PERCENT HEAVIER!  :D O0

Did the 30% apply for the whole order, or did it just apply to one game?

I checked it out and appeared for the entire order.....I didn't actually purchase anything, was just seeing if worth it for anything.

Steelgrave

Picked up Decisive Campaigns:Case Blue. I love sales. Thanks, LordZ.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Well I could've easily purchased a bunch of titles with the 30%-off coupon code from Slitherine/Matrix.  However, I limited myself to purchasing only stuff I was likely to actually play sometime in the next decade ( ::) ), which in this case was the Eclipse of Nashira expansion for Pandora: First Contact.  Gonna go kill more alien bugs! 




Quote from: airboy on April 04, 2015, 10:44:37 AM
Is Distant Worlds: Universe worth it at this price?
Jason and FAS already went into greater detail in their response, so I will simply say "Hell yes!"  O0  If deep strategy/4x-style gameplay has any sort of appeal to you, then DW: Universe is definitely worth picking up at that price. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on April 05, 2015, 01:02:34 AM

I just bought Hannibal: Terror of Rome. That completes my AJE collection.

Did the same.

Although now I realize that I may not own the Parthian Wars one yet.  :'(

bobarossa

Picked up To End All Wars and its expansion.  Decision was made when I learned the coupon was good for the entire order.  The base game did not have short scenarios (that might actually get finished) so I knew I needed the expansion (6 short scenarios?).

Greybriar

I completed my Panzer Corps collection by purchasing Panzer Corps Grand Campaign 1939-1945 mega pack for 30% off with the Happy Easter discount.

Thanks Matrix / Slitherine!  O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bbmike

Quote from: bobarossa on April 05, 2015, 07:03:00 PM
Picked up To End All Wars and its expansion.  Decision was made when I learned the coupon was good for the entire order.  The base game did not have short scenarios (that might actually get finished) so I knew I needed the expansion (6 short scenarios?).

Same for me.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

smittyohio

Quote from: bbmike on April 06, 2015, 07:55:56 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on April 05, 2015, 07:03:00 PM
Picked up To End All Wars and its expansion.  Decision was made when I learned the coupon was good for the entire order.  The base game did not have short scenarios (that might actually get finished) so I knew I needed the expansion (6 short scenarios?).

Same for me.  :)

Ditto... plus I got BA2 - Kursk (30% off the temporary half off price is nice), Birth of Rome, and Hannibal - Terror of Rome.    Of course, now i need to PLAY them.