Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Pinetree

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Philippe

Very nice buildings and rice paddies. Good job!
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Nefaro

Nicely done, sir.  8)

jomni

#245
For those following my mod, I will be changing the 3d model of the default infantry. The infantry can be either 500 or 800 men. Currently both in square block formation so we cannot distinguish visually.   Would you like to see wider frontage for the 500 man unit?  Then the 800 man unit will have deeper ranks.  Or shall I keep the 500 man unit square and make the 800 man unit a bit wider?  Historically I think samurai armies don't really keep clean formations.

Nefaro

I would think widening the frontage for the larger force makes the most sense.  But that could have repercussions if there are too many on maps with limited size.  Dunno.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on April 10, 2015, 11:42:16 AM
I would think widening the frontage for the larger force makes the most sense.  But that could have repercussions if there are too many on maps with limited size.  Dunno.

It's just cosmetic.  They all fit in the same square.

jomni


Nefaro

I got the impression, from some of the OOB stuff you posted awhile back, that they were more spread out like that.  Rather than deep squares of men.  Is that the case?  At least.. regarding ashigaru infantry.  Not sure about cav or archer units.  *shrug*

While I find the SJ quite interesting, I have almost no knowledge of their low level unit organization and tactics, other than what you posted here.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on April 11, 2015, 02:41:51 AM
I got the impression, from some of the OOB stuff you posted awhile back, that they were more spread out like that.  Rather than deep squares of men.  Is that the case?  At least.. regarding ashigaru infantry.  Not sure about cav or archer units.  *shrug*

While I find the SJ quite interesting, I have almost no knowledge of their low level unit organization and tactics, other than what you posted here.

I also don't know.  I think they're just mobs. Lol!  They only became organized spearmen fighting in formation near the 1600's.

jomni

Unit identification can be problem as the order of battle has several quality levels and number of men. Based on Richard Bodley Scott's (Byzantine Games) suggestion, I devised a scheme that will enable the players to identify the units easily. So here are the Yari (spear units) for the generic Red and Blue armies.

Front row = Superior / Elite. They have three fancy flags (hatajirushi) and have colored or black armor.
2nd row = Average. They have two normal flags, brown armor, colorful clothes.
3rd row = Raw. They have one simple flag, brown armor, drab clothes.

As you can see, unit size can also be distinguished in the model. The smaller one represents 6 FOG bases or 500 men. The larger one is for 8 FOG bases or 800 men.


Boggit

Jomni, You've done some lovely work  O0with your mod. I'm really impressed! I can't wait for it to go public! O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

They told me not to use copyrighted images.  So I drew my own stuff just to make sure.  This is the Yari Samurai unit portrait.


panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres