It's Friday my Groggy Gamers

Started by JudgeDredd, April 24, 2015, 12:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Toonces

Is this the best thread evar or what?!   :smitten:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MetalDog

Music and games are right up there with T&A in the pantheon :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Dare I say I sometimes enjoy the music most.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

There are times where that is certainly a most acceptable answer.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2015, 06:53:50 PM
After seeing what some of you consider great music, I now know why you are gamers...
I have a MASSIVE range of likes when it comes to music. Everything from opera and classic right through to crummy pop and everything in between.

Like the above, I love the 60s, the 70s and the 80s after that - music wasn't great for me (as a decade) but I still love some of the stuff that came out.

I mentioned the 80's as a great decade very possibly because it was my formative years. A young boy growing up and spreading his wings to put it poetically. Another very popular decade for me was the '50's. I was a Phsychobilly (sometimes literally) back in the 80's...flat top, surplus clothing, winkle pickers. Whilst that isn't seen to be fitting in with the 80's that's what was so cool about the 80's...you could like whatever music you liked but be who you wanted to be.

Maybe the 80's wasn't exclusively like that but it was my formative years and so I remember it as such.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

What in the heck is a winkle picker? 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
What in the heck is a winkle picker? 

Gus knows.  He offered to show me one time but I got scared and ran away...

spelk

Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
What in the heck is a winkle picker?

A type of boot/shoe with a very pointy end:



or



or something sharp that allows you to pull the slimy snot-like meat out of the snail-like winkle...






I always thought Rockabillies



preferred Beetle-crushers to winkle pickers.



But then I was a winkle-picking Goth myself. 80's style Goth, not these new Marylin Manson wanna-bes!




JudgeDredd

I wasn't Rockabilly - I was Psychobilly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychobilly


Having said that - I actually think I was a eclectic mix. But that was the great thing about the 80's - you could do and be whomever the hell you wanted to be and mixing it up was absolutely fine
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Anguille

One of my favs from the 80's....pure rock! Listen loud.  :)




Nefaro

#85
Quote from: mikeck on April 24, 2015, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 24, 2015, 03:23:58 AM
I also shall be gaming the American Civil War.  Having just finished Catton's Mr. Lincoln's Army Volume 1 that climaxes with the Battle of Antietam, I will therefore be playing Scourge of War: Antietam in their honor and trying to do better than the pathetic disaster that was McClellan.  God I hate that man.


Cmon Toonces! Don't be so hard on Little Mac. He built that on the of the Potomac from scratch and in terms of logistics I don't think there was a better journal in the war or more talented one when it came from moving in on me from point a to point B and getting it into fighting condition quickly

He would've been the best Stafordshire of the war. Unfortunately once he got on the battleground he was more afraid of losing then he was interested in winning and could never put the pedal down when It counted. It's a shame he goes down as such a bad general when in reality he just had one fault he was afraid to commit troops when he needed to. Outside of that it was actually a pretty great general just a tad too big of an ego for that I guess

It is interesting though to fight Antietam on scourge  of war saying to yourself Mac...look just commit your reserve man!  just commit the two corps you have in reserve and get on with it!"



Little Mac seemed to be an egotist of some sort.  He was also a politician who fit the false self-promotion and smearing tendencies often associated with them.  There are some accounts from his peers and press interviewers who painted him as such IIRC, after dealing with him.

To what extent that is true, I do not know.  But it's not only his offensive inability but his behavior in politics that earned him bad marks.  His men loved him because he didn't want to force a fight with the enemy and get the men he trained killed, but when he was booted for inactivity he began pointing fingers at everyone else and started making wild claims about his superior abilities.  That was why his peers and others disliked him.  The egotism was probably exposed to the public even more when he ran for the presidency, but there were smear campaigns even back then and being in the middle of the war, some criticisms of him were probably just that.

Pete Dero



Perfect wargaming music.

Not really compatible with Endless Space i'm currently playing.

Father Ted

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
Having said that - I actually think I was a eclectic mix. But that was the great thing about the 80's - you could do and be whomever the hell you wanted to be and mixing it up was absolutely fine

Do you think that's objectively true or that everybody thinks that about "their" time?  For the record (scuse the pun) I was at 'Atfield Poly '84-'87, so that was definitely "my" time, but what I really remember is actively disliking the music of the time (what I liked, and like today, mostly happened 10-15 years earlier). I do revisit it via Youtube'n'beer for nostalgia purposes, but most of the stuff the characterises the period is not for me.

Anyhoo...Tonight (Sat) I shall be lending my questionable flying skills to the Entente side in RoF's "Bloody April V" campaign.  It's a really fun event in which RoF's MP community wargame a set of scenarios.  Other than that I intend to get some more time in SoW and CO2  -  though the genre-crossing may give me a bit of vertigo...

bob48



1968. I would have been at technical collage doing metallurgy.

Given up playing AoW III due to this stupid 'Age of Deception' bug, for which it seems there is no fix and just totally screws up your game.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on April 25, 2015, 05:31:33 AM
Given up playing AoW III due to this stupid 'Age of Deception' bug, for which it seems there is no fix and just totally screws up your game.

oh balls - whats this?