Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Also, for anyone that hasn't tried them yet, some of the new Community scenarios are very well done. The two that I've tried so far had amazing maps, and much more accurate OOBs. Copredy Bridge in particular impressed me.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Toonces

This looks really good Jomni!   O0
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2015, 01:38:32 PM
This looks really good Jomni!   O0

+1 That is excellent. I wouldn't mind a framed copy to hang on the wall  O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

jomni

#258
Quote from: bob48 on April 19, 2015, 04:36:38 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2015, 01:38:32 PM
This looks really good Jomni!   O0

+1 That is excellent. I wouldn't mind a framed copy to hang on the wall  O0

Thanks guys.  I learned a lot of tricks in this project.
1) 3D model buildings in Sketchup.
2) 3D stuff (modeling and skinning) in Blender.
3) Digital hand drawing with Intuos pen and tablet using Clip Studio Paint (Manga drawing software).

This is in addition to my existing photo editing skills with Gimp and some coding knowledge.

Someone from Slitherine forums say that my mod should be an official expansion.

Thanks to Richard Bodley Scott for being part of the creative process and "pushing" me to do more.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on April 19, 2015, 10:11:43 AM
They told me not to use copyrighted images.  So I drew my own stuff just to make sure.  This is the Yari Samurai unit portrait.




You drew that?  Wow.  Looks better than many tabletop wargames' artwork.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on April 19, 2015, 09:06:12 PM

Someone from Slitherine forums say that my mod should be an official expansion.



I agree with them, once your mod gets fully finished.   O0   May be worth looking into.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on April 19, 2015, 10:38:09 PM
Quote from: jomni on April 19, 2015, 10:11:43 AM
They told me not to use copyrighted images.  So I drew my own stuff just to make sure.  This is the Yari Samurai unit portrait.




You drew that?  Wow.  Looks better than many tabletop wargames' artwork.

I traced some old japanese woodblock print and changed the armor to something contemporary (Sengoku era). Changed the weapon too. It completely looks different from the original save for the pose.

besilarius

For those who like the period there is a lecutre on the 24th in New York.
The Rise of Infantry should be very exciting.\

http://bobrowen.com/nymas/
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

tgb

The original period doesn't hold a whole lot of interest for me, but I would buy the game just to play that mod.  When do you expect it to be available?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: besilarius on April 20, 2015, 05:28:26 PM
For those who like the period there is a lecutre on the 24th in New York.
The Rise of Infantry should be very exciting.\

http://bobrowen.com/nymas/

FWIW, the Soldiers and Sailors Club on Lexington Avenue is a really great place.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

#265
Quote from: tgb on April 20, 2015, 07:24:53 PM
The original period doesn't hold a whole lot of interest for me, but I would buy the game just to play that mod.  When do you expect it to be available?

Here's the plan as stated before.

I'm now doing the original artwork. So it may take a month if I keep my pace. Then it's ready for initial release. It only has two generic red and blue factions and no historical scenario, just skirmish (Done). these two sides will each have different army lists from 1500 - 1600 (Done). You can see the evolution from classical samurai horse archers to mounted shock cavalry and their eventual decline due to firearms.  The dwindling % of Samurai compared Ashigaru (common infantry). The increasing pominence of firearms. The evolution of warrior (man-to-man) tactics to organized foot formations. By the 1600s, troops will behave much like European renaissance counterparts except melee troops will be more dominant. Of course Samurai who fight in the traditional "warrior" style will still be around.

Next release will have the prominent historical clans in central Japan. All playable in Skirmish with their alliances and relations taken into consideration.

Subsequent releases will have historical battles along with new non-Japanese factions (Joseon Koreans, Ming Chinese).

jomni


Jack Nastyface

On a related note to P&S...has anyone tried the new content, tercio and salvo?
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

jomni

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on April 25, 2015, 09:29:03 PM
On a related note to P&S...has anyone tried the new content, tercio and salvo?

I have it but haven't tried playing since I'm moding.  But I know that the skirmish is better because you can now choose the terrain (Agrarian, Hills, Forest, Mountain).
But this comes as a game engine change and not specific to the expansion.  With regards to the expansion, I guess it's just more of the same... more armies, different time frame.

panzerde

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on April 25, 2015, 09:29:03 PM
On a related note to P&S...has anyone tried the new content, tercio and salvo?

I have it, but haven't played many of the scenarios yet. Jomni is right on; it looks like more of the same with different armies and time periods. That's a good thing, IMHO.

I've actually spent more time with the recently released Community Scenarios that can be downloaded from within the game. The ones I've played so far are definitely superior to any included in the game, with better maps and more historical OOBs.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres