Atlantic Fleet coming to Steam

Started by IronX, February 24, 2016, 01:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Philippe

There's one of those stupid threads on Steam with people belly-aching about the altered German flags that the game uses.

Has anyone who owns this game looked inside of it to figure out what kind of textures are used for the flags?

I don't own the game at the moment because I'm waiting for it to go on sale (and I realize that I may have to wait a long time).

But while I'm waiting, could someone tell me if the flags are static images like Bitmaps, PNG's, or DDS files that I know how to manipulate, or some kind of dynamic file like a GIF that I haven't learned to play around with yet.

From the clips the flag on the ships needs to be replaced (which may or may not pose a problem, depending on how much it waves in the wind), and the flag on at least one of the posters needs to be changed.  The poster flag (which was a very creative solution on their part) should be relatively easy to fix.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

FC

The game is reviewed favourably in this week's Flare Path on Rock Paper Shotgun

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/26/the-flare-path-dovetail-games-flight-school-interview-atlantic-fleet-review/

He calls it the 'perfect beginner's wargame'

Pete Dero

Quote from: Philippe on February 27, 2016, 01:49:35 PM
But while I'm waiting, could someone tell me if the flags are static images like Bitmaps, PNG's, or DDS files that I know how to manipulate, or some kind of dynamic file like a GIF that I haven't learned to play around with yet.

Non of these file types appear. This is what I have in my directories :

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Atlantic Fleet\AtlanticFleet_Data\


Managed                               <DIR>
Mono                                  <DIR>
Resources                             <DIR>

mainData                              27/02/2016
resources.assets                      27/02/2016
resources.resource                    27/02/2016
ScreenSelector.bmp                    27/02/2016
sharedassets0.assets                  27/02/2016
sharedassets0.resource                27/02/2016

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Atlantic Fleet\AtlanticFleet_Data\Managed\


Assembly-CSharp.dll                   27/02/2016
Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll         27/02/2016
Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll    27/02/2016
Boo.Lang.dll                          27/02/2016
Mono.Security.dll                     27/02/2016
mscorlib.dll                          27/02/2016
System.Core.dll                       27/02/2016
System.dll                            27/02/2016
UnityEngine.dll                       27/02/2016
UnityEngine.Networking.dll            27/02/2016
UnityEngine.UI.dll                    27/02/2016
UnityEngine.xml                       27/02/2016

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Atlantic Fleet\AtlanticFleet_Data\Resources\



unity default resources               27/02/2016
unity_builtin_extra                   27/02/2016


  2 file(s)
  Total filesize 2939 KB
  2 folder(s)
  303,17 GB free



JasonPratt

One Steam reviewer opined that the designer seems to have used elements from Silent Hunter 3.

I noticed there were several replies to that thread; and while no one has addressed that question yet, the dev himself addressed another point about a quirk of the aiming process:

QuoteThe last shell of a salvo (which the camera follows) is always exactly accurate and with some practice can be used to consistently snipe at turrets, magazines, engines etc.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Wow, and this game is not even quite 129 MB!  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Shelldrake

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 27, 2016, 11:03:41 PM
Wow, and this game is not even quite 129 MB!  :o

All it takes is smart programming. Think of all the games that ran on the Commodore 64 with a whopping 64KB of memory!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bbmike

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 28, 2016, 08:40:34 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 27, 2016, 11:03:41 PM
Wow, and this game is not even quite 129 MB!  :o

All it takes is smart programming. Think of all the games that ran on the Commodore 64 with a whopping 64KB of memory!

Project Space Station!  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 27, 2016, 10:59:48 PM
One Steam reviewer opined that the designer seems to have used elements from Silent Hunter 3.

Only thing I've noticed that looks similar is the campaign map.  The colors of it look just like the one in SH3, but in small scale.  The rest of it?  Not really.

Quote
I noticed there were several replies to that thread; and while no one has addressed that question yet, the dev himself addressed another point about a quirk of the aiming process:

QuoteThe last shell of a salvo (which the camera follows) is always exactly accurate and with some practice can be used to consistently snipe at turrets, magazines, engines etc.

As long as you've adjusted your gun elevation well since your previous shots.   ;)

The pair of vids in which I watched other players firing their guns didn't end up with them grasping the concept too well.  Nor did they use the shot history on the map screen for help doing so.  There is still some dead reckoning in there, but all the available tools (two different shell history trackers, radar & visual range estimation) are there to be pretty consistent in getting at least one shell hit, after the first salvo or two. 

Unlike some of the other similar games, the way it's portrayed in Atlantic Fleet seems to be themed a bit closer to actual gun direction in WW2.  Simplified, of course.

Skoop

I'm guessing the PC version will be more fleshed out than the iPad version ? 

Nefaro

Quote from: Skoop on February 28, 2016, 11:51:50 AM
I'm guessing the PC version will be more fleshed out than the iPad version ?

There are better graphical settings in it.  Still not going to win any awards, but it's sufficient enough to enjoy. 

Not sure if there were any extras added to the gameplay, over the iOS version. 

Barthheart

Quote from: Skoop on February 28, 2016, 11:51:50 AM
I'm guessing the PC version will be more fleshed out than the iPad version ?

I have both versions and can't see any game play or content difference. Just looks so much better on the PC when you crank up the graphics.

Sir Slash

I didn't notice secondary guns being used in the videos of the game. Are they not included? Or maybe range-limited?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

The big ships have secondary guns for sure as I have stepped through their selection to see what's available. I don't use them much because 1) they are range limited 2) they are smaller caliber = less damage.

I guess you would switch to those if you got in really close and your main guns can't depress enough, or maybe your mains are knocked out.

You can't fire your mains and secondarys in the same turn.... which seems odd but maybe for simplification. It would make a nice addition to the game however. as presently you can only fire one type of weapon system per turn.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on February 29, 2016, 11:01:51 AM
The big ships have secondary guns for sure as I have stepped through their selection to see what's available. I don't use them much because 1) they are range limited 2) they are smaller caliber = less damage.

I guess you would switch to those if you got in really close and your main guns can't depress enough, or maybe your mains are knocked out.

You can't fire your mains and secondarys in the same turn.... which seems odd but maybe for simplification. It would make a nice addition to the game however. as presently you can only fire one type of weapon system per turn.

I've only used the secondaries to conserve main gun ammo on campaign. 

For example, using them to take out merchants or maybe enemy DDs with a Battleship.