The Lordz Games Studio strikes a licence deal on Check Your 6!

Started by Lord Zimoa, February 01, 2016, 06:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

I am not an avid board gamer, tried to play 20-30 years ago, but just not enough interest from my friends and did not find playing solo satisfying at the time....however, there appears to be a ton of good and interesting topics that I would love to play, but never will have the time, space, budget to really get into them.  If board games are converted well to the PC, I could easily see myself playing them, but I did not grow up with all the counters and dice others have, so I wouldn't be missing that part of the game.

No idea what the actual market are for them, but I do hope more will be made and I'll likely give them a try....assuming not made by Matrix and costing $79 :)

GJK

Yeah, that's a big part of it - live opponents.  If you have them available, board-wargaming can't be beat.  If you don't, then solo-board-wargaming can be a very "meh" experience (IMO).  For example, last night I was over at a buddies house and we played the old "Victory in the Pacific" until midnight.  That is a very basic, "bucket of dice" type of game that is not very historically accurate but filled with historical flavor.  What made that game however was some good bourbon and the company- we had a freakin' blast!  I can't find any computer game that replicates that exactly but I've had a great time with some computer games trying to anticipate what its response is to my actions...but that's a very different experience.  VASSAL, as you know, is a way to play boardgames online with others and it has a certain level of satisfaction to it but even that doesn't come close to replicate actually playing live-sitting at a table together-experience.   
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: GJK on October 16, 2016, 06:58:01 AM
Yeah, that's a big part of it - live opponents.  If you have them available, board-wargaming can't be beat.  If you don't, then solo-board-wargaming can be a very "meh" experience (IMO).  For example, last night I was over at a buddies house and we played the old "Victory in the Pacific" until midnight.  That is a very basic, "bucket of dice" type of game that is not very historically accurate but filled with historical flavor.  What made that game however was some good bourbon and the company- we had a freakin' blast!  I can't find any computer game that replicates that exactly but I've had a great time with some computer games trying to anticipate what its response is to my actions...but that's a very different experience.  VASSAL, as you know, is a way to play boardgames online with others and it has a certain level of satisfaction to it but even that doesn't come close to replicate actually playing live-sitting at a table together-experience.

Can't argue that and that would be great to have the in-person experience....unfortunately just not an option with my family and circle of friends....close as I get nowadays is playing Ticket to Ride with the family, its good family fun, but not exactly what I want:)

Have to admit the other day was in a used book store where they are now selling used board games....saw Gulf Strike for something like $30-$40...that was a game I remember seeing the cover art and advertisements for that I always wanted to play badly.....I even bought the computer version, but didn't enjoy that at all (felt very clunky).

tgb

Like some, my real life friends are not boardgamers.  The ones that do play games play so-called parlor games - Dominos, Bridge, Whist, Gin Rummy.  The only opportunity I have to play something like Twilight Struggle or 1775 is when a version for Windows comes out.  I do enjoy playing against the AI (at first) because it's a new experience for me, plus an opportunity to learn the game.

Once I do I turn to async multiplayer (when available).

-budd-

Pretty much mirrors my experience, could barely get my friends to play stratego or risk growing up, of course during the teenager years time was short between sports, work and getting in trouble. Today playing a good board game no matter what the topic is great fun with my family and extended family. Our current favorite is zombicide, we start that its usually at least 8 hours long. We like making up our own scenarios, you really got to work as a team to survive and meet the victory conditions. It's amusing hearing people telling other players what they should do with their character, the bargaining, the thoughts of self preservation  "you shouldn't of went in that room, your dead, i'm out" :2funny: Sometimes it will be a 30 minute discussion about one move, i love it. My 9 year old loves it and the rule book isnt 5 inches thick, its was easy to learn for her and when we can get 6-8 of us together we'll play all day.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

DennisS

I am always up for an air game, and especially solitaire games. I saw a video from the developers, and it looks pretty interesting.

One thing I noticed is that a better pilot goes last, and can change their move, based on what they see. This is an auto win...as I cannot imagine being able to shake a pilot off that can always react to what you have done.

Are there any plans to limit what types of moves can be done by the second, better pilot? It may well be a show-stopper for me...as I just don't have any human opponents, and play strictly solo board games.

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on October 16, 2016, 11:31:07 PM
I am always up for an air game, and especially solitaire games. I saw a video from the developers, and it looks pretty interesting.

One thing I noticed is that a better pilot goes last, and can change their move, based on what they see. This is an auto win...as I cannot imagine being able to shake a pilot off that can always react to what you have done.

Are there any plans to limit what types of moves can be done by the second, better pilot? It may well be a show-stopper for me...as I just don't have any human opponents, and play strictly solo board games.




IIRC, from the rules, advantaged pilots only get to see the first few hexes of movement of their target.  Not the whole turn's move.

Been meaning to read the CY6 Jet Age rules again sometime soon.  I don't recall all the details of this stuff, but it pretty much plays WEGO, with the players pre-plotting a movement code before the big reveal.  So the moves are pre-planned each turn, except for advantaged pilots getting a bit of a jump as above.



Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 16, 2016, 01:39:34 AM
Two things....


    <.......>

    • Having said that - my second point is, hasn't this been done before in other versions? Sid Meyer did a WWI (and II?) game like this and there was a game called Spitfires! wasn't there? IIRC, they weren't bad, but lost their appeal fairly quickly

    Just saying - boardgames are very,
very hard to convert to PC whilst keeping the love of the boardgame in place for the player.


I don't think that's the case with this type of game.  At least, for me.

I really enjoyed the recent Sid Meier Ace Patrol games.  Despite the cartoonish tablet-y vibe.  Still keep at least one installed.   Same goes for those antique DOS/Win95 games based on tabletops. 

I'll be the first on the boat for this one.  May even volunteer some time for Beta, when it gets there.  Been waiting for something like this for ages.  Take my money Lordz![/list]

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on October 17, 2016, 08:42:32 AM
Quote from: DennisS on October 16, 2016, 11:31:07 PM
I am always up for an air game, and especially solitaire games. I saw a video from the developers, and it looks pretty interesting.

One thing I noticed is that a better pilot goes last, and can change their move, based on what they see. This is an auto win...as I cannot imagine being able to shake a pilot off that can always react to what you have done.

Are there any plans to limit what types of moves can be done by the second, better pilot? It may well be a show-stopper for me...as I just don't have any human opponents, and play strictly solo board games.




IIRC, from the rules, advantaged pilots only get to see the first few hexes of movement of their target.  Not the whole turn's move.

Been meaning to read the CY6 Jet Age rules again sometime soon.  I don't recall all the details of this stuff, but it pretty much plays WEGO, with the players pre-plotting a movement code before the big reveal.  So the moves are pre-planned each turn, except for advantaged pilots getting a bit of a jump as above.



Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 16, 2016, 01:39:34 AM
Two things....


    <.......>

    • Having said that - my second point is, hasn't this been done before in other versions? Sid Meyer did a WWI (and II?) game like this and there was a game called Spitfires! wasn't there? IIRC, they weren't bad, but lost their appeal fairly quickly

    Just saying - boardgames are very,
very hard to convert to PC whilst keeping the love of the boardgame in place for the player.


I don't think that's the case with this type of game.  At least, for me.

I really enjoyed the recent Sid Meier Ace Patrol games.  Despite the cartoonish tablet-y vibe.  Still keep at least one installed.   Same goes for those antique DOS/Win95 games based on tabletops. 

I'll be the first on the boat for this one.  May even volunteer some time for Beta, when it gets there.  Been waiting for something like this for ages.  Take my money Lordz![/list]

I have played the campaign game for Ace Patrol to completion at least four times. Good concept, good execution. If this is anywhere near as good, then it is a must-buy.

mirth

Quote from: DennisS on October 16, 2016, 11:31:07 PM
One thing I noticed is that a better pilot goes last, and can change their move, based on what they see. This is an auto win...as I cannot imagine being able to shake a pilot off that can always react to what you have done.

It depends on the disparity of the skill levels between the pilots. Higher skilled pilots always do get to go after the lower ones. As far as reacting, they generally get to know if the lesser pilot is going left or right and climbing or diving. The amount of reaction is also dependent on the skill of the pilot. It's basically a number of shifts on the turn/movement chart.

I will say this, in a one-on-one engagement an 'ace' will easily win against a green pilot. Green pilots need to follow a more experienced lead and avoid mixing it up with much more skilled pilots.

I imagine the PC game will balance these elements, either through scenario design or by allowing you to tweak pilot skill levels. It's the same in the board game. The scenario needs to be well constructed up front or it's not very much fun for the guys who have to play with low skill pilots.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Also you have to be in a tailing position to get the reaction advantages. So rear arc of the target and within so many hexes for a tail. The advantages gained by the skilled pilot are not automatic, but higher skill does always get to go after the lower ones.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Has anyone heard anything about this yet? Last I read was a beta was supposed to be available sometime this last X-Mas. There hasn't been any activity on their forums and no response. Just wondering if someone who is in the "know" might have some additional info?

Danke!

FarAway Sooner

I've heard nothing about the game but continue to follow it.

In terms of gaming, I've had good luck recruiting non-wargamers to play some of the Eurogames (e.g., Settlers of Cataan, Dominions, or Castle Panic if you want to get young kids started ages 6-8).  You can even get some of the co-op Eurogames (Pandemic is the best for simplicity and elegance, but lots have come out and get much more complicated as you go) for folks who don't like competing or just don't like losing to somebody who's played wargames most of their life.

PBEM has brought me back in touch with one or two friends whom I haven't had a chance to game with in 25 years.  With kids and family commitments, it's so much easier than scheduling time when everybody can be online at the same time.

Lord Zimoa

Busy here guys, but closing more into Beta, we made some changes so development is taking a bit longer, but this game is getting there.

BanzaiCat

Gus made an excellent point a few pages back - hopefully this isn't as simplistic and/or silly as the Sid Meier's Ace Patrol series. While enjoyable to a point, those games were so light they almost don't qualify to be called beer and pretzels - more like Kool-Aid and popcorn.

I've heard of CY6 but never played it, though I've played the Ace Patrol games extensively. Which always left me wanting for more, so hopefully this will provide it. I'm keeping an eye out, and thanks for reporting your progress on it.  O0

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 03, 2017, 07:11:17 AM
Gus made an excellent point a few pages back - hopefully this isn't as simplistic and/or silly as the Sid Meier's Ace Patrol series. While enjoyable to a point, those games were so light they almost don't qualify to be called beer and pretzels - more like Kool-Aid and popcorn.

I've heard of CY6 but never played it, though I've played the Ace Patrol games extensively. Which always left me wanting for more, so hopefully this will provide it. I'm keeping an eye out, and thanks for reporting your progress on it.  O0

If they stay true to the minis rules, it will not be as simplistic as the Ace Patrol games. CY6 is easy to get into and play, but there is a lot of nuance to the rules and to the game play.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus