Pride of Nations - New Patch

Started by bbmike, July 26, 2015, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tuna

Quote from: Martok on November 26, 2016, 02:58:17 PM
Quote from: Anguille on November 26, 2016, 10:04:44 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 26, 2016, 03:57:36 AM
Gah.  I am actually now considering buying this game again so I can get the new patch (my version was purchased from GamersGate, which is no longer available there).  I continue to be drawn in by PON, despite its issues.  Oy... 


Imho, it should still be in your library.
It is, but as I've long understood it, the GG version of PON cannot be updated to the most recent patch.  (I'm not sure if it was updated to even 1.3.)

Updated fine for me.. but I did have a 1.03 and 1.04 from before which I installed first.. I'll try going straight from GG to 1.04 one on my laptop when I get a chance.

GibbyG

is there a trick to getting the 1.04.3 patch to work with Steam?  After installing I get an error that AGEsettings.exe cannot be found and it aborts.

Thanks

Philippe

I suspect the trick is to install it on your non-Steam version.

I'm not an authority on the inner workings of Ageod games by any means, but I can't imagine that a multiplayer game involving Steam and non-Steam versions patched to different levels would give good results.  Sooner or later something will go bonkers.  The non-Steam versions are already pretty finnicky.

It's been years since I played PON and I don't remember how the economy works.  But playing as the house of Savoy would be tempting.  When is this game going to start, and how often would one have to send out a turn?

Cagliari is lovely this time of year.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro

#48
Quote from: challerain on November 26, 2016, 04:33:20 PM
is there a trick to getting the 1.04.3 patch to work with Steam?  After installing I get an error that AGEsettings.exe cannot be found and it aborts.

Thanks


Quote from: Philippe on November 26, 2016, 05:01:11 PM
I suspect the trick is to install it on your non-Steam version.




So.... we may all have to be using the same version of PrON sold from the same location?   

Plus the GG version may or may not need some of the intervening updates, which may or may not be available for d/l right now? 

To GG or to Steam.  That is the question.  And will they both work with this patch, together?    C:-)  My GG version doesn't have all the DLC, although I doubt those are needed to run the main campaign..?



What a mess.  I want to give this an MP run but unraveling the current mysteries may be the most challenging part.   :uglystupid2:  :P







JP brought up a good point about a specific game option; the SOI and Claims setting.  Do we want to be rigidly held to historical spheres of influence, colonization, and territorial claims?  Or should we have more flexibility in our foreign tinkering? 

I believe it defaults to having the penalties for non-historical influence/claims, because the option to turn it off was only later added in an update when players said they didn't want it to be THAT restrictive.   I'm kinda leaning towards having it turned off, for an MP game, to allow more flexibility and unforeseen consequences.


Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 26, 2016, 01:59:31 PM
I can host again unless someone else wants to.

Basically, to run a PBEM game, the host sends country specific .TRN files to each other player.  They load this file into their save folder  (default X:\PONGame\PON\Saves\).  Then they load the game, do their turn, and save without hitting end turn button.  Then each player goes into their save folder and emails the host their .ORD file.  The host runs the turn and emails out the .TRN files again.


You did a fine job juggling that stuff before.  Got my vote.   :clap:   O0

"If it's not broke, don't fix it!"  "Don't change horses mid-stream!"   etc etc 




JasonPratt

Ditto for SDR running it again.

I'm glad someone else got around to testing the 1.04.3 patch on their Steam install before I did.  :D

As noted, I strongly suspect Steam has been effectively patched to 1.04.3 even though when the game is loading it reads as .2 incremental.

Unfortunately, in a game that has a history of weird problems cropping up in long-form multiplayer, I'm dubious that a short experiment of a stable crossplay of versions would return reliable reliability (or words to that effect).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GibbyG

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 26, 2016, 07:03:11 PM

As noted, I strongly suspect Steam has been effectively patched to 1.04.3 even though when the game is loading it reads as .2 incremental.

You may be correct.  The .3 quick fix was supposed to fix the declaration of war issue.  The imperialism level to declare war had been set to 7 in .2.  Pocus said this could be manually changed by editing the 7-Declare War.dpi file and changing the minimperialism setting to 4.  In my steam version it is already at 4, so hopefully the patch was applied.

OJsDad

Quote from: challerain on November 26, 2016, 07:11:19 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 26, 2016, 07:03:11 PM

As noted, I strongly suspect Steam has been effectively patched to 1.04.3 even though when the game is loading it reads as .2 incremental.

You may be correct.  The .3 quick fix was supposed to fix the declaration of war issue.  The imperialism level to declare war had been set to 7 in .2.  Pocus said this could be manually changed by editing the 7-Declare War.dpi file and changing the minimperialism setting to 4.  In my steam version it is already at 4, so hopefully the patch was applied.

I just installed from Steam today.  My version says 1.04.2, but the 7-Declare War.dpi file has the minimperialism set to 4. 

If we can play other counties besides the big ones, I'm for playing China.  Unless Nef wants me to do Germany or Austria and he plays the opposite. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Silent Disapproval Robot

#52
We should be able to play with different versions.  When Tuna, UCG, and I played last time, Tuna and I had the GG version while UCG had the steam one and things seemed OK for the most part. 

I think we should go for the bog-standard game without mods just to lessen the chance of something game-breaking coming up.  That gives us the following 10 countries to choose from:


U.K.

France (Tuna)

Prussia  (Nef?)

Austria  (OJ's Dad?)

U.S.A.

Russia  (SDR)

Sardinia-Piedmont (Philippe?)

Japan

Ottomans (Jason)

Belgium




JasonPratt

I'm willing to switch to Japan if someone would rather have the expansive Ottomans to play with on the edge of everyone's colonialism: the Turks have the second largest territory after Russia after all, and tons of opportunity for improvement. I know people find Japan boring in the early game, but I'm okay with focusing down a bit.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

I'm good with Austria.  Just need a few days to get through the manual and tutorials. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Philippe

I'm downloading the hotfix now to my GG (aka Paradox ) version.  It's gruesomely slow, but I think that's because it's coming from an ftp server. It will finish eventually, and I will have a few more grey hairs.

I probably shouldn't ask this, but apart from making sure everyone is using the same version, what exactly am I fixing with the hotfix?

(In my heart of hearts I think we should probably wait until things work their way to Steam and then all use the Steam version, but the troops at Ageod are pretty busy right now, and who knows how long that could take...)

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro

Quote from: Philippe on November 27, 2016, 10:27:40 AM
I'm downloading the hotfix now to my GG (aka Paradox ) version.  It's gruesomely slow, but I think that's because it's coming from an ftp server. It will finish eventually, and I will have a few more grey hairs.

I probably shouldn't ask this, but apart from making sure everyone is using the same version, what exactly am I fixing with the hotfix?

(In my heart of hearts I think we should probably wait until things work their way to Steam and then all use the Steam version, but the troops at Ageod are pretty busy right now, and who knows how long that could take...)


I'd prefer using the Steam version, since that's the one I own with all the stuff.  Can try to patch it with the forum update/hotfixes/wotnot but not sure if compatible.

Tuna

FYI, On my son's laptop I was able to upgrade my GG version straight up to the 1.04.3 latest patch (not sure the exact version number - but the one in the post). All seems well. The reason the download is slow Phillipe is because it is huge (1.4 Gig). It's basically a full install I guess.

Martok

Quote from: Tuna on November 27, 2016, 12:33:53 PM
FYI, On my son's laptop I was able to upgrade my GG version straight up to the 1.04.3 latest patch (not sure the exact version number - but the one in the post). All seems well. The reason the download is slow Phillipe is because it is huge (1.4 Gig). It's basically a full install I guess.
Good to hear you were able to upgrade your GG version; gives me hope.  :)  I don't mind the 1.4 Gb download size, as long as the update is actually worthwhile.   

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

I think the experimental news we got upthread is that the hotfix directly from Matrix is NOT compatible with the Steam version.  :-\ (Not to be confused with the question of whether the Matrix and/or GG updated version can multi-play with the updated Steam version.)

Someone should start or add to a thread at Matrix, and ask if the Steam version incorporates the few other things besides the imperialism war-declaration reduction threshold from 7 to 4. From what I recall looking at the Matrix thread linked above, mostly the other differences involve a few more missing string description updates.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!