Pride of Nations - New Patch

Started by bbmike, July 26, 2015, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GibbyG

From the post at the ageod forums:

October 26th QF (1.04.3)
1880 campaign had spheres of influence restored
fixed several missing strings
you need Imperialism 4 to DOW
That, for a given resource, all countries selling it, are selected at once in the trade interface is deemed normal. The original design was never to buy to a specific country.

September 30th QF (1.04.2)
1850 GC gets many extra fixes, courtesy of Siegfroh
Added back many missing files (thanks Prussia). Not all as some are not needed. Please report if you believe a file is missing AND necessary.
A ruler can now only declare war if he has an Imperialism of 7. This will severally limit the AI widespread wars. If that's too limiting for players, we can find a better solution for next week.
Improvement in how the diplomacy entries are displayed in the diplo panel.

September 23rd QF (1.04.1)
a) static/garrisons units get back replacements as normal
b) flags fixed on the diplomacy screen
c) you can't interact with nations tagged as 'non formed nations', i.e w/o territories
d) AI should not DOW such nations either (please report with backup folder if you see a DOW)

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 27, 2016, 02:21:34 PM
I think the experimental news we got upthread is that the hotfix directly from Matrix is NOT compatible with the Steam version.  :-\ (Not to be confused with the question of whether the Matrix and/or GG updated version can multi-play with the updated Steam version.)

Someone should start or add to a thread at Matrix, and ask if the Steam version incorporates the few other things besides the imperialism war-declaration reduction threshold from 7 to 4. From what I recall looking at the Matrix thread linked above, mostly the other differences involve a few more missing string description updates.

It might work. I did so in the past by copying the PoN directory under Steam to c:\Pride of Nations, installed the latest version to that, then moved it back under Steam. Of course any update to the Steam version will overwrite what you do.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

We may just have to fire up a game and see if it works.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Philippe

I think what you should do is drop Pocus a line and ask him what he thinks the best way to proceed might be.

I suspect that it may not be a good idea to mix the executables for the Steam and non-Steam versions. 

If you look inside the folder that has the PON executable, the Steam and non-Steam versions seem to have lots of little files that are different, and the difference probably relates to Steam.

But both versions have a VGN folder, and that's the folder with the graphics and data strings.  I'm willing to bet that you could toss the non-Steam VGN folder into the same directory with the Steam VGN folder without causing untoward problems.  Whether you could pass saved games back and forth between doctored Steam and non-Steam versions is another story.

I haven't read through the PON hotfix thread in detail, but I gather that there are a few glitches (old or new) that are going to get cleaned up when Pocus' plate gets a little emptier.

Perhaps it would make sense to schedule this game for January?  That would give everyone time to reaquaint themselves with the rules, and give the patches time to become available to everyone.

The other thing to consider is that we might want to look into all playing the game in Steam, but figuring out what we needed to add to the Steam version (presumably the VGN folder from the latest non-Steam patch).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Or we could just, you know, play it. 


JasonPratt

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 27, 2016, 11:21:41 PM
Or we could just, you know, play it.

DAAAARE THE DISASTERRRRR!  :D

Although I suspect the data in the TRN files will make no difference to the variations in whether the game is being run by/in Steam or not.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Philippe

I'd be surprised if anything other than what's in the VGN folder really changed anything.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Silent Disapproval Robot


Tuna


OJsDad

I'm fine with that, except that I found out the other day I have to leave for the week Monday for work.  I'll be gone all week.  However, I've got PON on my laptop.  I'm just not sure how much time I'm going to have to play it next week though. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

SDR should start a new thread about it somewhere for maintenance purposes if so?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

OJsDad, Tuna, and I are up for starting now.  Anyone else want to start?

Philippe

I'll play.

At some point in the next 2-20 weeks there will be either another patch or a hotfix to fix the issues in the current hot fix.  Assuming that it's going to be save game compatible, will we all apply it?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Philippe

On another subject, the stripes in the U.S. flag need some TLC.  I'm currently looking at my half finished mod for Civil War II for source material and will come up with a PON mini-mod later today or tomorrow.

My own personal copy uses the Stars and Bars for the Confederate flag rather than the Bloodstained Banner, but this is about the Stars and Stripes.  The stripes in vanilla PON were the result of a sloppy reduction algorithim which blurred everything together. 

I've already fixed it on the nineteen on-counter flags, I just have to decide what I want to do about flag that flies over cities, if anything.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro

I don't have much confidence in it, right now, with it still being updated and having possible version compatibility issues depending on which retailer you're using.  Got too many games backed up anyway.

Hope you guys have a fun run.   \m/