Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gameleaper


Barthheart

Quote from: gameleaper on February 06, 2017, 01:19:46 AM
Quote from: -budd- on January 30, 2017, 04:02:26 PM
Heroes of the Pacific mod posted. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4222442&mpage

thankyou for this mod link, it great, Id buy the game of this DLC.

There will not be any more development of this PC game. Lock n Load Publishing is working on their own PC conversion and it won't involve the current PC game at all.

gameleaper

thanks for the info  Barthheart , I must say I replayed this game after seeing the mods, and I would say its more like the boardgame than any I ever played, I have lots of wargames, but this is what I want from a game. I sure wish for more of the same.

Moreb

I honestly thought HoS was done better than any boardgame conversion in recent memory and am surprised it wasn't more widely praised. The production value was excellent imo. I am not crazy about the spotting rules but that is more a critique on the game system than the program.
When dongles fly? - mirth

chemkid

that's true but the whole boardgame to digital thing on matrix/slitherine has a 'somewhat' similar vibe/smell to it.
i hope i'm wrong but what i felt on the CoH forums when things were moving and the game was fresh was sooo good. it died down and the flame is burning very low since... along came HoS and what a surprise!! great game, graphics, gameplay and devs who cared. even the designer was having fun - it seemed... for some time. it died, too! funny, i'm a sucker for these type of conversions and guess what - i bought HoN on release - even bought the DLC's! what can i say... feels a little like it's time for 'REWIND, where's my DJ?!!' - no, really - i hope i'm wrong and the devs finish what what they started with HoN!!!

you know what - i bought the boardgame for CoH along with that awesome solo AI - stuff of legend, man!!!

cheers!
chem!

jomni

#260
Good board game does not make a good computer game.
It gets really "gamey" and outcomes depend on how you master of the game mechanics than real life tactics.  But it's hard to master the inner calculations that affect results since the task was taken away from you.  Therefore the tooltips must be as detailed as possible on all the modifiers applied.

gameleaper


gameleaper

aswell as the new Mod, I have just noticed new scenarios added to the scenarios & Mods section

GJK

Quote from: jomni on February 07, 2017, 02:43:09 AM
Good board game does not make a good computer game.
It gets really "gamey" and outcomes depend on how you master of the game mechanics than real life tactics.  But it's hard to master the inner calculations that affect results since the task was taken away from you.  Therefore the tooltips must be as detailed as possible on all the modifiers applied.


The obvious point seems to be missed with these boardgame to computer game conversions: what made the boardgame so great is the physical components, the roll of the dice, conducting the combat and finding the results yourself, moving the pieces and in most cases, the face to face game play- all of which are missing with a computer game.  If you slap an inadequate AI on top of a game that does everything for you and you play it a few times and then move on. That's my experience at least, YMMV.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rayfer

Quote from: GJK on February 07, 2017, 09:01:52 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 07, 2017, 02:43:09 AM
Good board game does not make a good computer game.
It gets really "gamey" and outcomes depend on how you master of the game mechanics than real life tactics.  But it's hard to master the inner calculations that affect results since the task was taken away from you.  Therefore the tooltips must be as detailed as possible on all the modifiers applied.


The obvious point seems to be missed with these boardgame to computer game conversions: what made the boardgame so great is the physical components, the roll of the dice, conducting the combat and finding the results yourself, moving the pieces and in most cases, the face to face game play- all of which are missing with a computer game.  If you slap an inadequate AI on top of a game that does everything for you and you play it a few times and then move on. That's my experience at least, YMMV.

GJK....I think you nailed it for many of us (well, at least for me  :-\ )....I loved Advanced Squad Leader back in the day but  the PC games that are like it just don't do it for me. I think your comments are why.

gameleaper

Quote from: GJK on February 07, 2017, 09:01:52 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 07, 2017, 02:43:09 AM
Good board game does not make a good computer game.
It gets really "gamey" and outcomes depend on how you master of the game mechanics than real life tactics.  But it's hard to master the inner calculations that affect results since the task was taken away from you.  Therefore the tooltips must be as detailed as possible on all the modifiers applied.


The obvious point seems to be missed with these boardgame to computer game conversions: what made the boardgame so great is the physical components, the roll of the dice, conducting the combat and finding the results yourself, moving the pieces and in most cases, the face to face game play- all of which are missing with a computer game.  If you slap an inadequate AI on top of a game that does everything for you and you play it a few times and then move on. That's my experience at least, YMMV.

well wrote, but I have to say HoS is a good boardgame conversion, I like it because it has all the dice rolls etc.. I cant believe I have not played it more,.

Philippe

I'm coming late to the party because this game happens to be on sale right now at Matrix.

What is the concensus about this one?  Is it any good?

I've always had trouble relating to the Tiller tactical games (the way they handle ammunition doesn't ring true and it bothers me that they aren't WEGO), and during my brief stint playing Squad Leader (not even ASL!) I always wished there were more Stalingrad scenarios.

How does it compare to Steel Panthers?  Was it a flash in the pan or is this worth trying?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Rayfer

It's more like Tigers on the Hunt. Both are similar to the old board game Advanced Squad Leader.  I very much preferred Tigers on the Hunt. There are even mods to make the counters look like the old ASL board game. The maps look the same too. HoS never clicked with me. I found the spotting rules onerous. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Sir Slash

Which one would not allow stacking? Wasn't it one of these two?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

#269
Quote from: Philippe on August 17, 2017, 10:24:41 AM
I'm coming late to the party because this game happens to be on sale right now at Matrix.

What is the concensus about this one?  Is it any good?

I've always had trouble relating to the Tiller tactical games (the way they handle ammunition doesn't ring true and it bothers me that they aren't WEGO), and during my brief stint playing Squad Leader (not even ASL!) I always wished there were more Stalingrad scenarios.

How does it compare to Steel Panthers?  Was it a flash in the pan or is this worth trying?
It wasn't my cup of tea. I found the pace way too "deliberate" (feel free to make your own interpretation ;)), and some aspects just ahistoric.

I know Sauron40 and Barthheart gave it a good run on MP, but there were game killing bugs (IIRC in the campaign), which AFAIK have never been fixed in a patch. Sauro40 tends to visit without posting, but Barthheart obviously does. I think JudgeDredd has also played it a fair bit too, so probably those guys have some sensible comments (and likely in favour) on it.

It's nothing like Steel Panther's but more like ASL. I like Steel Panther's far more than HoS. Mark Bellizzi (a well known Stalingrad fanboy - actually he's quite an authority on the subject) has done an excellent Stalingrad campaign for Steel Panther's, which I can recommend.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat