Game where you can use your calculus skills

Started by jomni, August 23, 2017, 02:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DennisS

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 24, 2017, 11:44:21 PM
You know, I had a great high school Calculus prof--might have been the most influential teacher I ever had--but when I got to college, I developed a quick distaste for the subject matter.  I also realized that, while I was extremely good at arithmetic, I wasn't nearly as good at math as I thought.

But I can still do arithmetic in my head like a mad man.  It was my party trick in college to try to convince people I was sober.  Needless to say, it didn't impress the chicks much...

As for calculators, I was strictly a TI-35 guy.  I never had much use for the Poles and their calculators.   :crazy2:

I have the same party trick down pat. "Give me any two digit numbers", I say. I then add them up, double, then triple, then x19...basically as fast as it takes to write this. X19 is a trick...add a zero, then subtract X1. Example: 52 + 34 = 86. Doubled is172, times 19 is (172x10=1720) - 86. This is (1720-100)+14, or 1634.

JasonPratt

Back to the topic  ::)...

...what about that space combat sim game earlier this year which used hardcore astrophysics? Seems like calculus might give someone an edge there.


Or a curve.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Philippe

My limit on calculus has already been reached, I'm afraid.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

JasonPratt

The pun originality in this thread has approached zero, I see.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bobarossa

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 25, 2017, 01:48:14 PM
The pun originality in this thread has approached zero, I see.
So what's the differential?

BanzaiCat

What do you call Al Gore playing on his guitar? An Algorithm.

Swatter


Philippe

I'm having trouble seeing how stopping is integral to this thread.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Note to self: we're not too off-bass by changing to music puns.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

We pun because we can. It's by nature's de-sine.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Might be time for the punners to have a slice of humble pi.

bobarossa

You could be right but you need to be less obtuse about it.