Always try to look at the bright side...

Started by Jarhead0331, July 24, 2019, 02:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

As some of you may already know, I sadly lost my father this past weekend. It has been a difficult few days, but I am trying to stay as positive as the circumstances will permit. i had some down time while I was home and I went through some old boxes finding some things that to me are virtually priceless...here are just a few of the relics I discovered...



I rather have my dad back, but just a little part of me is glad he guided me to look in these boxes. This is just as small sampling of what I found.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


al_infierno

Damn, that's a pretty cool silver lining ;)

Very sorry to hear about your loss man.  Hang in there!
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

MC

Jarhead, I am truly sorry for your loss. These kind of physical finds can be a great reminder of earlier times but the memories of your dad will last forever. Keeping those memories alive in your heart can serve as a great comfort. Again, my condolences. 

DoctorQuest

My sincere condolences, JH.

Nice little treasure trove there. Manuals like that are like gold these days. It looks like your dad was an avid simmer.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

W8taminute

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.   :(
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 24, 2019, 03:26:38 PM

It looks like your dad was an avid simmer.

Nah...those were all mine from when I was a young simmer. My dad (and mom) were just nice enough to let me store my old stuff in their house for the last 25 years.

Thanks for all the thoughts, guys. It means a lot to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Huw the Poo

I'm very sorry to hear it Jarhead.  What was he like?

Also yes, that is an excellent find.  Young Jarhead had excellent taste in games. ;)

RommelFox

Sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a parent is not an easy experience.

Great finds!
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 24, 2019, 03:47:26 PM
I'm very sorry to hear it Jarhead.  What was he like?

He was a very interesting guy, thank you for asking. Introspective and quiet. I could sit with him for awhile, not saying much, but come away feeling like the experience was meaningful. He was a devoted father and husband of 55 years to my mother. He always supported my brother and I in our goals and dreams, no matter how whimsical. However, at times I think he placed too great an emphasis on the importance of his own financial success, which I think is how he measured himself as a father, husband and man.  He also certainly had demons. At nine years old, his mother, father, brother and sister were all killed in a plane crash. He was not on the plane, so he was the only one to survive from his immediate family. This racked him with guilt and sadness for his entire lifetime and I know the loss plagued him emotionally. It led to alcoholism, which he eventually conquered late in his life...

In any event, I loved him very much and was honored to be his son. I hope he heard me when I told him that...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Skoop

^ Wow, that's heavy that he had to deal with that as a 9 year old.

Huw the Poo

Wow, sounds like he had an inner strength most people can only dream of.  I'm not surprised you're proud to be his son.

MOS:96B2P


CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Panman

So sorry for you loss.  Whether or not he heard you, he knows.

-budd-

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you guys were close, i'm a bit envious as my father and i are not close as he took off when i was a child. I hope you have a lot of nice memories to recall as you adjust to your new normal. Doesn't look like my father will make years end, and i'm not really sure how i feel about it.

Peace
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.