East Palestine train derailment

Started by al_infierno, February 13, 2023, 07:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

But the train went pretty far after NS threw money at Congress not to have to install that braking system! ;)

(If I recall correctly, however, the new braking system wouldn't have helped in this case...? Can't recall where I read that.)

On a totally useless dry humor, linguistically it amuses me every time to see the name "Norfolk" (North-folk) "Southern". I realize it's a coincidence, but it makes me think of North Suffolk or East West TN (near the TN River).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

The Washington Post ran an article that their investigation showed none of the De-Regulation actions taken would have had any effect in preventing the derailment. That was over the weekend I think.
They're saying now it was a faulty Ball-Bearing that overheated that caused the accident. Ironic that one tiny ball bearing could cause such a massive accident isn't it?  :shocked:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Windigo

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 01, 2023, 10:42:40 AMThe Washington Post ran an article that their investigation showed none of the De-Regulation actions taken would have had any effect in preventing the derailment. That was over the weekend I think.
They're saying now it was a faulty Ball-Bearing that overheated that caused the accident. Ironic that one tiny ball bearing could cause such a massive accident isn't it?  :shocked:

Ball bearing failure leads to overheating, overheating leads to wheel and axel failure. Axel failure equals derailment. Totally foreseeable and preventable with proper maintence schedules. Also railways have thermal cameras along the tracks to detect this sort of overheating thing. My understanding is that they ignored the warning signs. Not good practice when hauling dangerous goods.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

JasonPratt

Oh, right, I posted that WaPo article upthread!  :uglystupid2:

Also, the report I read (elsewhere) indicated that the temperature sensors did exactly what they were set to do, and the engineer started stopping the train the moment the temperature alarm signaled over the safe limit. The implication was that the safe limit was set too high.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Windigo

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 01, 2023, 11:32:26 AMOh, right, I posted that WaPo article upthread!  :uglystupid2:

Also, the report I read (elsewhere) indicated that the temperature sensors did exactly what they were set to do, and the engineer started stopping the train the moment the temperature alarm signaled over the safe limit. The implication was that the safe limit was set too high.

or the delay in recieving the data was too long, I read somewhere that the readings were somewhat inaccurate too

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

If you take the, 'me' out of somewhat, you get, "So What". That's the March 1st Parental Lesson for today.  :nono2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

So there was a fire at a metal manufacturing factory in Cleveland today.  On February 20th there was another fire at a metal manufacturing factory in Ohio.

There was an explosion or fire somewhere in Florida yesterday.

There really seems to be a lot of unfortunate accidents happening all the time every day in the United States lately.  I'm sure it's nothing though. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

I'm not worried. I got Krispy Kremes and beer. What else does a man need?  :azn:

JasonPratt

It's probably a result of overstrained maintenance/safety problems since the pandemic. Most factories, whether food or otherwise, are notoriously unsafe metallo-chemical bombs waiting to go off. My family owned one for decades; I'm still sitting here this morning (still helping train a replacement for my position).

I mean, it COULD be other things, in a combination with that; but the combination of factors would definitely include upscaling and stacking danger from kind-of-unavoidable slapdashery in the current circumstances.

Windigo

A trust fund kiddo.... I knew it.    :evil:

JasonPratt

THAT'S what I need! -- wait, I may be too old for a trust fund, nvm, I need an inheritance instead.

Sir Slash

Thank you for your metallurgical service Jason.  :thank_you2:

JasonPratt

In our case, hazardous chemicals.

Mostly for water and wastewater applications.

Like the polyvinyl chlorides in one of those train cars, but mostly not that bad.

(.....yes, okay, hazardous metals are also hazardous chemicals, strictly speaking, especially if not in a solid state.)

www.dyerfiberglass.com  :azn:

The chemicals are inert by the time they leave us -- unless the enclosures catch on fire, maybe. So far, has never been a problem.